6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wow, I just found out about this!

http://www.rhythmfestival.net/

Dr John, Joe Bonamassa, The Yardbirds, (wonder who's in THAT particular line-up?) John Mayall.....worth going to for them alone. There's also Steve harley and Cockney Rebel, Eddie & The Hot Rods, Dr Feelgood (I've been listening to them tonight - the Newton Music Festival was taking place, about 400 yards from where I live - I could hear them from my music room with the window open, sounded really good....) and a whole load of good bands.....

There's also a few names there I'd forgotten about - Chickenshack, Tony McPhee, Prince Buster, The Beat, Hothouse Flowers, The Levellers.....

So anyone got any plans to go? After seeing the line up, I'm seriously considering it.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/07/2007 1:42 am
(@alangreen)

Not Jimmy Page, that's for sure.

The Yardbirds just played Cressing Rock, not far from me, along with some reprobate called Wilko Johnson, so I guess you could say they're touring again.

And before you start thinking that northern Essex is a hotbed of rock culture, the next town down had 70s schmaltz groups Boney M, Heatwave and The Real Thing a few weeks back. Fortunately, they were rain affected.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 22/07/2007 8:29 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just checked out the Yardbirds in Wikipedia - current line-up would appear to be

Ben King
Chris Dreja (rhythm guitar)
John Idan (bass, lead vocals)
Billy Boy Miskimmin
Jim McCarty (drums)

As for Wilko Johnson, I saw Dr Feelgood, ooh, a long time ago when he was the original guitarist - they were a brilliant live band. Also saw Chickenshack way back when Christine Perfect (later Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac fame) was a singer, but the guitarist/front man - a guy called Stan Webb - had great stage presence and charisma. Their version of "I'd rather go blind" is a British Blues classic.
And before you start thinking that northern Essex is a hotbed of rock culture, the next town down had 70s schmaltz groups Boney M, Heatwave and The Real Thing a few weeks back. Fortunately, they were rain affected.

Phew, narrow escape there, Alan! I once bumped into the guitarist with the Real Thing in a music shop (Hessy's in the Whitechapel part of Liverpool) back in the 70's - he bought a white Strat. Man, was I jealous! Last I heard of them, the singer was breeding dogs for a living - one of his won "Best Of Breed" at Crufts a few years back!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/07/2007 4:05 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Interestingly I recall recently reading something about a lawsuit brought by some real old (50s-60s) groups, to forbid people using their names for performances unless one of the original members is in the band or there is some sort of licensing agreement. I've seen lots of oldies reunion concerts with bands that had one record (not even a hit) performing, I wonder if any of the originals are still there?

Eric

Posted : 22/07/2007 4:11 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dreja and McCarty were, I think, founder members of the Yardbirds - certainly long-time members of the "classic" line up. I seem to have a nagging feeling, though, that Jimmy Page had some sort of ownership of the name when the YB's split - weren't Led Zep going to be called The New Yardbirds at some point?

Vic

Posted : 27/07/2007 5:34 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Dreja and McCarty were, I think, founder members of the Yardbirds - certainly long-time members of the "classic" line up. I seem to have a nagging feeling, though, that Jimmy Page had some sort of ownership of the name when the YB's split - weren't Led Zep going to be called The New Yardbirds at some point?

Vic

Taking a look at the back of an album, I see that you are correct. 8)

Posted : 28/07/2007 12:23 am