RSJ 08 Recap Photo Link Added!

42 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
25.4 K Views
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Here's is the link to my photobucket album of the RSJ 08. All 100+ plus! Not as much fun as the video, but cool non the less!

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k128/katreich/Riverside%20Jam%202008/

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 03/08/2008 12:04 pm
 MJR
(@mjr)

I'd like to thank Kathy and John Reichert for hosting RSJ 08.

A very special thanks to Max and Michael Lescher. Not only did they open their home to all of us. They put their personal lives on hold, to accommodate The Riverside Jam 2008. I will always remember their hospitality and the kindness they showed to all of us.

This year's jam was significantly different then the previous 4.
To my recollection, previous RSJs seem to have included a lot more spontaneous jamming, messing about and experimenting with various songs. This year RSJ was more about prepping for Saturday Night's Gig. Though I missed the jamming, I will say that Saturday night's gig was enjoyable and the performances were quite entertaining.

Thank you very very much…………………………………………………
David Hodge, Karen Berger, Greg Nease and first time Riverside jammers John Reichert on Bass, Derek Kolecki on Drums, Michael Lescher on vocals and keys, for graciously agreeing to play in my set. Special thanks to Nick Torres and Kathy Reichert for their excellent vocal performances.

Dan and Laura, regarding “Sultans of Swing” although I kind of like that myth about me leaving the stage to get the solo right. I'm sure you know by now that's not what went on. That last section of “Sultans” was arranged by David and it showcased the musical interplay between David's guitar and Karen's keyboard. After I left the stage, notice Nick's expressions and body language and note he points at the two performers (checkout the video). I'm sorry it didn't come across as I intended. I was trying to call attention to two fine musicians, my mentor, friend and musical collaborator David Hodge and Karen Berger, keyboardist extraordinaire.

Thanks Tony, Jose, Paul, Anne, Helena, Max, Dan and Laura for the great sounds.
You cats know how to Rock Steady.

Live well and play music,
MJR

Posted : 03/08/2008 12:20 pm
(@lillaz)

You all look like you had a good time! Sorry I missed out. Hopefully next year and then 2010 we're hopefully hosting!
Great Pics!
Peace,
Jacqui

Posted : 03/08/2008 12:49 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Great Pics....as always

Posted : 03/08/2008 1:15 pm
(@lakiehelena)

Just landed back in Ohio, first chance I've had to look at the pix and video. They're great!

Thanks to everyone who showed up to play. Even though we had at most two run through of each song, it was clear everyone had been honing their chops previously as every single one one of you "brought it" that night at Jimmy V's. I was super honored to share the stage with you all.

Deepest thanks to David for taking over the bass duties on Anne's set with less than one week's notice and doing a much much better job of it than I could have, even if I had had the time to practice. I've registered my request to come back as a jazz bass player in my next life...until then I'll stick to rock/punk/folk/funk/blues and ska.

Karen, we only played on like one tune together. That must be rectified asap! But that means I did get to listen and you sounded great.

Mike Roberto, as far as I'm concerned, you've officially lost the right to complain about your playing/level - too much evidence to the contrary! Your feel, timing and tone on Something is fantastic. Looking forward sharing a stage with you in Aug.

GN, always a pleasure to play with you, sir. In any situation. You rock.

Kathy, missed playing on your set, but was fun to mix it up in the other sets. Esp. SuperNova. hehe!

Highlight of the weekend - after practicing Safe European Home at geezer tempo; Getting with Derek-the-drummer and him ripping into it at 1,000 bpm from measure one. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. That. Was Punk. Hehe

Also, didn't know I was playing bass on part of Tony's set til the day before, but ended up being a highlight. He totally nailed it and I had fun standing up front grinding out a nasty and relentless walk on Bertha Lou and anchoring 300 lbs of Joy. (G*d, I so love the blues.)

Anne, you smoked those conga's on Julio, girl. We all were agog. Still am. And your trap playing was very groovy as well.

Nick. Two words. Time Bomb. OMG. Rippin'. Thanks so much for coming. John R. good job on bass...keep it up!

Glad you all enjoyed my martini-soaked bass line on Sultans. Nice that it looks and sounds as good as it felt to play it that night.

To all the other folks who played, but whom I didn't get to play with (Dan, Laura, Paul, Jose (did I miss anyone), I enjoyed hanging out and hearing you. Good times.

Thanks to Max and Michael Lescher, our co-hosts, who opened their home to us, provided us with pro sound, good eats and even a swimming pool to cool off in after hours of sweaty practice. And to co-hosts Kathy and John Reichert for the awesome hook up.

I took some pix w/ my camera phone, will off load and get them on flickr soon. Helena B.

Posted : 03/08/2008 2:48 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nice pix.

Its nice to see how GN acts as a central force for these jams to be held year after year.

I still hope we do have a GNStock someday.

Posted : 03/08/2008 6:57 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Nice pix.

Its nice to see how GN acts as a central force for these jams to be held year after year.

I still hope we do have a GNStock someday.

It might look that way, but the centralizing force really has become David. The Riverside Jams predate most of its participants joining GuitarNoise. The Lazleys put together the first RSJ in 2000, and since then David and his friends of old and new have perpetuated it. IIRC, from 2000 through 2008 the hosting cities have been:

Westfield, CT
Chicago
New Brunswick and Pennington, NJ
Chicago
Great Barrington, MA
Elkhart, IN
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Great Barrington, MA
Fox Lake, IL

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 03/08/2008 8:32 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

although we do talk about you all behind your backs :D

Posted : 03/08/2008 8:46 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

although we do talk about you all behind your backs :D

+1 :P

And Nick often speaks of himself in the 3rd person to assure there are suffient discussions of him as well.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 03/08/2008 8:57 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

gnease wrote:

It might look that way, but the centralizing force really has become David. The Riverside Jams predate most of its participants joining GuitarNoise.

Exactly true. I didn't start posting on Guitar Noise until after my SECOND RSJ, which was the first one in Great Barrington, Ma.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 03/08/2008 9:01 pm
(@the-canadian)

I just went through the pictures and it took me 5 minutes to recognize Nick. I say keep the beard.
I started clapping at the end of Something. Mike, you did a great job.
I can only say that I wish I was there.

Glen

Posted : 05/08/2008 5:48 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's pretty obvious that Nick is trying for a place in CSI Vegas as Grissom MkII :D :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 05/08/2008 6:29 pm
Page 3 / 3