Clear all

School Talent Show Gig, My First Gig ever EDIT: VIDEO ADDED

20 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Well today was my first gig ever, and all in all it was a good experience.

After school today was the talent show I auditioned for earlier in the year. My friend Marcus and I came together as a two piece for the show. He played the acoustic and sang, and I played lead on the 51' and sang backup. Together we played "Play Crack the Sky" by Brand New (Marcus's choice, I was a little reluctant to be associated with the emo croud, no offence to anyone here). The talent show was divided into two parts, the first part was basically a wish wash of talents, and the second half was us and the big local student jam band "Meatbisquit". After people came back from refreshments between halves of the show, we set up. Most people chilled in their seats while we set up. A few students were in the band room back when we auditioned, and word spread around school that we were "amazing". When we went out for sound check, everyone started cheering and chanting "Double D". We had named ourselves "The Double D Experience" because our last names both start with D. It was really catchy. So we did sound check. I used my Epiphone Valve Special, and Marcus plugged his acoustic into the school bass amp. For some very strange reason, we gave it a shot in the band room one day and it sounded good so we kept using it. After set-up, we talked it up with the audiance until everyone was back in the auditorium, and then we just played the song like we practiced it.

The Pro's:
At least on stage all the vocals sounded great, and people seemed to feel the same.
The new 51's neck pickup sounded great ontop of the acoustic. Much better then the dual acoustic rythem we started off with.
We didn't win the contest, but we were the best ones there. They did a cheer off between us and meat bisquit, and we won, but they gave the prize to the other guys anyways. Then everyone booood. It was pretty funny. The prize wasn't cash though, just a big platter of candy :roll: . All the proceeds from the one dollar entry fee went to SADD or NHS so it all good.
It was a gig dude...
I went to a basketball game at school tonite and everyone couldn't stop congratulating me. I feel pretty good.

The Con's:
I was supposed to have a solo, but I thought that was going to be another verse later in the song, so there was 8 or so measures where we both played real quiet, and I realized half way through that I was supposed to be soloing... We knew we messed up, but no one said anything so I'm pretty sure we acted it out.
It was my first experience with a mic. Might have been scketchy.

On monday I'm going to look at the video from the talent show and edit it in the TV Broadcast room after school, so hopefully we will have a posted video for you all to watch.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 13/01/2007 1:58 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

:D Great job, Duffmaster!

Enjoyed the write-up, too. Let us know when you get the vid posted.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 13/01/2007 2:07 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

great job duff,

everyone who has played live has made a mistake, i know i have, if you keep your cool and play it off, you'll see that nobody even knew it, great sportsmanship on your guys part also, great job , each gig will get better 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 13/01/2007 2:22 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Nice one!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 13/01/2007 2:22 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Duffmaster

Congratulations on your first gig! :D

That first gig is something you'll never forget. Sounds like you guys did great.
We didn't win the contest, but we were the best ones there. They did a cheer off between us and meat bisquit, and we won, but they gave the prize to the other guys anyways.

That is not surprising at all. Truth is, most Battle of the Bands are fixed in advance. I know that sounds terrible, but it is usually true. A band will organize the battle. It makes money for the school, in return they win. Doesn't always happen that way though, I once worked a club that had a 2 month Battle of the Bands contest. The band that organized and got the bands was supposed to win. And really, they were the best band. But the final night they had all sorts of equipment problems and had a pretty bad set. Another band who was also great came on and had a killer set. So they blew the host band away. The prize was $1000 :shock:

But that doesn't matter. You got up there and played and had a great time. You are addicted now. :wink:

Congrats again.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 16/01/2007 9:15 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Congrats Duff. Looking forward to seeing the video!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 16/01/2007 9:23 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats. I have to agree with Wes. BotB's are nothing more than popularity contests. Dont sweat it. They are still awesome experiences to to grow from.

Good job

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 17/01/2007 12:59 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Duffmaster,

congratulations on your first gig. Really would like to see the video.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 17/01/2007 2:11 am
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks for all the congrats.

I saw the video today, and it has been captured onto schools computers, all I have to do now is edit it a little, and then burn it and bring it home. Hopefully tommorow night after wrestling.

P.S. - My singing and playing were actually as good as I thought, but my stage presence is lacking.

2 out of 3 ain't bad :)

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

Posted : 17/01/2007 3:05 am
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5183082076051806395

That should get you guys the video.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

Posted : 18/01/2007 1:55 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey that was really cool! I know it was a live situation but the sound was really good. Guys yelling encore! at the end-that's great!

Good job.

Now that you've done your first live gig, I bet you can't wait for the next one huh?

Congrats.

Posted : 18/01/2007 2:58 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hey what kind of electric guitar is that? :wink:

Good job, Duff!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 18/01/2007 3:30 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good Job Duff!

#4491....

Posted : 18/01/2007 3:57 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

8) Cool stuff!

I have to admit, that after reading your story first, then watching the video, I had to chuckle a little when you misssed your solo. Only because you both sorta stared at each other and I can only imagine what the two of you were thinking! :) Great job though!!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 18/01/2007 5:57 pm
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Great. You guys did a great job covering for the missed solo. That is the mark of being ready in front of a crowd. A person in the crowd would have never known the solo was missed by your actions. Have fun know that the bug has bitten, and here's to continued success...

Older Newbie

Posted : 18/01/2007 6:04 pm
Page 1 / 2