Set List

23 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I am sure this has been brought up before but I couldnt find it. (ps I put this here cause it is in respect to gigging and musicians) What are some of your favorite songs in your set list? Recently I added Mustang Sally to ours because Wes mentioned that it was a real crowd pleaser and the guys in my band thought so too. Here is our, albeit small, set list so far. I am only listing the covers cause the originals arent well known, YET, anyways. :D :shock:

You'll Think of Me - Keith Urban
Give Me One Reason - Sorta like Tracy Chapman but in our own style
Mustang Sally - Buddy Guy
Unfailing Love - Chris Tomlin
Blame the Vane - Dwight YoukumMustang Sally

We are looking for more upbeat songs. Preferably something bluesy or an older rock sound.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 19/09/2006 3:01 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

How about some Stones? I know you're going for a "Country" sound, and they have quite a few country tinged songs that might work. :?:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/09/2006 3:23 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

How about some Stones? I know you're going for a "Country" sound, and they have quite a few country tinged songs that might work. :?:

Dan

Hey Dan.. Thats a great suggestion. We're not actually going for a country or any sound in particular. Just good upbeat recognizable songs. The bands dynamics have changed a bit as things go on.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 19/09/2006 3:26 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Soul Man!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 19/09/2006 3:35 pm
(@davidhodge)

Dead Flowers by the Rolling Stones is good on all those accounts. It sounds great played upbeat and country.

If you're planning on playing bars and such, you also want to add "dancable" to your list of criteria.

Good luck with this and remember to let me know when your gig is so I can post it in the newsletter!

Peace

Posted : 20/09/2006 2:46 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

bars and such, you also want to add "dancable" to your list of criteria.

When I said upbeat... dancable was the word I was looking for. Thanks for the song suggestion as well.

The gig, our first, is at Borders Bookstore in Norman, Oklahoma. November 24th at 8pm. We'll be doing about 6 songs, 4 originals and two covers. Its a singer/songwriter event. In fact, they dont want us to even go by our band name. They want to introduce us as "singer songwriter Jim Couch and his band. I thought that was odd. Anyway, back on track.. I am tired and rambling.

Jim

Posted : 20/09/2006 9:53 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Only problem with Dead Flowers is that it's not the most recognizable Stones tune out there. One of my personal favorites, but not very popular. It's almost like that song itself has a cult following amongst Stones fans only. It's NEVER on the radio, but any Stones fan knows the song at least. Kind of like Rocks Off.

I think Honky Tonk Woman is more recognizable and upbeat and a real crowd pleaser from what I've seen.

I think I'm the only person on earth who does not like Mustang Sally. People certainly do love it.

Good luck with your gig on the 24th.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/09/2006 8:28 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

We've recently changed our band name from "Red Dirt Rodeo" to "Mojo Monday" to reflect our change in type of music that we play.

Anyway, the reason I bring that up in this thread is because there is a song called "Dont you throw that mojo on me" that a guy named Mark Selby does that I think would really work well too. I love that that song. Also, kind of think its cute doing a dont that also has part of the bands name in it.

Also, I agree about Honey Tonk Woman. I am not a huge Stones fan but I really love that song.

Jim

Posted : 24/09/2006 12:04 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Two great songs that people love and would fit with your name is:

I Feel Good- James Brown

Play that Funky Music (White Boy) by Wild Cherry

These songs never fail to get a crowd going.

Roadhouse Blues by the Doors is awesome.

A modern song that people really love is Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns and Roses. Great song that always gets a joint Rockin'.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 24/09/2006 10:15 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

One of our crowd pleasers is a little medley of rock 'n roll songs.

We start off with a snippet of Great Balls of Fire.
Then a piece of Good Golly Miss Molly
Then a shout about Blue Suede Shoes
The centerpiece is Johnny B. Goode.
Then we ad lib our way to the exit.

All at 140 bpm in the finest "psychobilly" style.

It's not unusual to have the whole bar on their feet during this set.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 24/09/2006 11:18 pm
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

A modern song that people really love is Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns and Roses. Great song that always gets a joint Rockin'.

Modern? The song is almost 20 years old! :D

Posted : 25/09/2006 8:10 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

:lol: Yes, but compared to the history of music... its brand spankin new. :lol: I used to do Sweet Child of Mine 17 years ago. The whole screamin bit and everything. Some how at nearly 40 years old and 35 pounds over weight I cant see myself screaming and doing the "snake dance". It just WOULD NOT be as sexy. LOL

The name, "Mojo Monday" has been the subject of controversy. We all agreed to it and liked it. But when friends and family members started complaining that they didnt like it or "get it", one guy lost his comfort level with it. Personally, I couldnt care less except we all agreed to it and I think its silly to change your name every time you find someone that takes issue with it.

One of our guys is wanting to learn "Band on the Run" and/or "Get Back". Also suggested has been "Alright Now". My current pick is "Red Red Wine" but then again I have picked all of our current songs so I am really wanting them to jump in and add some of their favorites.

Jim

Posted : 25/09/2006 10:07 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It's still not dated though... in fact it's lasted longer than Gn'R did :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 25/09/2006 10:11 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

How about:

An AC/DC tune -- You Shook Me All Night Long

Something from CCR -- medley of Bad Moon Rising, Down on the Corner, Up Around the Bend, Looking Out My Back Door, and Susie Q

Some Bob Seger -- Old Time Rock n'Roll maybe

And some Bruce Springsteen -- Hungry Heart straight into Glory Days

Margaret

[edit: If you're gonna be a dance band, you need a couple slow tunes, too. What about Shania Twain's Still the One...never heard it done with a male singer, but I bet it'd be cool. Or maybe someone in the band has a wife or girlfriend who could do a guest appearance.]

[edit #2: Another good slow one....Elton John's The Way You Look Tonight. Don't know if you have a keyboard in the band, but it prob could be done without one, anyway.]

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 25/09/2006 5:59 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wes, those are some good choices. We do them and it does get people up on the dance floor faster than some other songs.

Get Back by the Beatles too is a good one as well.

How about some Eric Clapton?

After Midnight for a fast dancer and (the slow version of) Layla or Wonderful Tonight for the slowdancers...

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 25/09/2006 8:21 pm
Page 1 / 2