Sgt Pepper, happy birthday

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It was 40 years ago today that Sgt pepper taught the band to play :lol:

Does it really seem that long ago since you strolled down to your local music shop to get the latest release from the Beatles ?

What were your first thoughts upon hearing was has to be the ultimate must have LP

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 01/06/2007 6:31 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Wow! Forty years! I'm so freakin' old!!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 01/06/2007 6:39 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Dang, EB, you must be near about as old as I am! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 01/06/2007 8:19 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

40 years and I still don't own a copy, hhhmmmmm

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 01/06/2007 8:56 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Unbelievable how the years have flown Rod.

I remember you bringing a copy home three years after it was issued (Because you had the first record player in the house for your Birthday) and when you played it I found it hard to accept that the "Four Mop Tops" we had all grown to love were no more and that they had moved on to a new phase then in 1967 with their music careers. I grew to love it though.

Yes folks this Beatle fan right from the start in 1962 (aged 9) didn't manage to hear any of The Beatles LP's complete until 1970 then aged 17 when Rodders brought our household up to date with a record player. Were we deprived or what?

Why haven't EMI re-issued a 40th anniversary super delux edition?

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 01/06/2007 9:33 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I was a Beatles fan from the very first time I heard them, I'd have been 5 or 6 at the time - and strange as it may seem, I never heard a full Beatles LP during the lifetime of the band. Must have been about '70 I got my first record player - I was given a Dansette by a friend of my mothers, with a couple of singles - You'll Never Walk Alone and Friday On My Mind - and a couple of Beach Boys albums, Wild Honey and Greatest Hits. I was forbidden under pain of castration, torture and death to touch my dad's radiogram....

The first album I bought myself was Sgt Pepper - and I still have it! My first reaction to it was puzzlement - I didn't know what to make of it. There wasn't a single track on there that struck me as a typical Beatles song, and the only track I knew was I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends, which I'd heard - and loved - by Joe Cocker. Didn't think much of the Beatles version at all. I gradually grew to love the album though - A Day In The Life, Lucy and She's Leaving Home became firm favourites.

I agree - there should be a fab 40th birthday souvenir edition. Maybe with some of the out-takes etc.....and even though I think it sounds a little dated these days, it's still a landmark album, although I still prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver and Help and Hard Day's Night.......

And I still can't help thinking that they should have included Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on the album.....

40 years eh! Where's the time gone......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/06/2007 9:50 pm
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I'm sure they'll re-release it sometime later this year.

Happy B-Day. What an amazing album.

Posted : 01/06/2007 10:15 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Makes me feel really old. I remember listening to them on AM radio, when radios still had tubes that had to warm up.

Posted : 02/06/2007 12:06 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got an AM radio with tubes to warm up, right here in front of me. :D

(Put that sucker together myself, in 1978.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 02/06/2007 3:53 am
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

Oh yeah, the release of this album kicked off maybe the best summer of my life - 1967 "THE SUMMER OF LOVE". I was just starting high school - life was good........

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

Posted : 02/06/2007 4:33 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

life was good........

Yes, it was!! :lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/06/2007 2:04 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Dogsbody said:

Wait a minute---

Scratch that idea EMI. Do a 50th aninversary edition.

When "I'm" sixtyfour. Hell that only ten years away :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 03/06/2007 12:20 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dogsbody said:

Wait a minute---

Scratch that idea EMI. Do a 50th aninversary edition.

When "I'm" sixtyfour. Hell that only ten years away :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris

It's only five years till they'll be releasing a fiftieth anniversary commemorative of "Love Me Do".......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/06/2007 12:39 pm