Clear all

Southern Roots @ Hooah's 7/16/2010

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

This was a classic, steamy, smoker of a summer gig . . .

The band's focus on the flow of the show paid off in spades at this one. The pacing was good, endings and transitions between songs were tight, and the lounge was packed full from the downbeat of the first song to the final note.

We picked our new singer last week, and she was there so we could introduce her to the fans and get her up for the songs she worked up for her audition. This is her first experience fronting a band, but you would have never know it from her performance last night. She's got a natural stage presence and a big beautiful voice that I think is another step up for us.

While the band was smokin', the weather was classic Virginia "Dawg Days." We had a thunderstorm right after load in, the temps were 95F( 35C ), and the humidity was sky high. The proximity of the lounge entrance to the main entrance of the hotel meant the inside humidity was almost as high as outside. Being under the lights on stage was like being in a steam bath. We're planning on selling the video of this one with the title "Sweaty Old Men," because I don't think any of us had a stitch of dry clothing on by the end of the night - I KNOW I didn't!

Bill Kelly from James River Productions here in town stopped by to catch a set. He and his wife wound up staying for two sets! Bill works with several companies and upscale clubs in town to provide them with entertainment. We're looking forward to being able to work with him!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 18/07/2010 1:32 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a great time! I'm JEALOUS, but I hope you have more great gigs like this one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 18/07/2010 1:37 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the gig! Any vids coming down the pike?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/07/2010 8:41 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Congrats on the gig! Any vids coming down the pike?

We had two cameras rolling, so I'll get 'em as soon as I can process the raw video.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Posted : 19/07/2010 12:14 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Here's a little video for Roy!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1553107991458

Posted : 23/07/2010 6:07 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, blame it on me. :mrgreen:

Your new singer has a deep voice. I like it.

Nice solo by some guitarist that was shoved way back into a corner. 8) 8)

Looked and sounded like the patrons dug your act, too. Not a whole lot of chatter came through.

Way to go on all of it! More coolness. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/07/2010 6:36 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Looked and sounded like the patrons dug your act, too. Not a whole lot of chatter came through.

Way to go on all of it! More coolness. 8) 8)

We usually get a lot more dancers, but the last few weeks have been blazing hot. it didn't show too bad in the video, but by the time we hit that point (3/4 of the first set) every stitch of clothes I had on was soaking wet. The crowd didn't dance much, but boy were they thirsty :lol:

Plus the audience just kept growing. We filled the lounge, then they opened the dividers between the lounge and the restaurant to accommodate the overflow. Then they had to open the dividers to the banquet room on the other side of the lounge about halfway through the second set. Finally, they had to get a couple of security guards to herd people out of the door after the last set so they could close. Nobody was rowdy, they just didn't wanna go home!

Posted : 25/07/2010 2:32 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Wow! That's some pretty good crowd reaction if I ever heard it. I'm sure you were invited back. Was the new singer able to handle all the songs?

Roy

Posted : 25/07/2010 6:12 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That was good MoonRider. Sounds like you guys are a hit.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 25/07/2010 10:22 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Wow! That's some pretty good crowd reaction if I ever heard it. I'm sure you were invited back. Was the new singer able to handle all the songs?

That night she'd rehearsed with us a whole two hours. We had her up for 2 songs in each set. Since we wound up doing three longer sets (just over an hour each with two 15 minute breaks, and last song at last call - 20 minutes before closing), she was up for 6 songs.

Posted : 27/07/2010 1:51 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

With such a short time to learn the songs, hell, the girl did GREAT! Very impressed!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 28/07/2010 12:10 am