Clear all

Still growing.... in a big way!

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The music school is expanding again! You might recall that last year I had to remodel our building to construct additional studio space - since then our enrollment has climbed more than 30%, and I've now got teachers for every popular, band, and orchestral instrument except viola and cello, plus a couple of great voice teachers. We've only got room to grow enrollment another 5% before I'll run out of space again. And we've done that in two years (our 2nd anniversary is 25 days away).

So about 20 minutes ago I reached an agreement with the owner of the building just south of us - I'll be taking over 1/4 of his building on August 1st. That should let us grow another 50% or so.

On Monday morning when I sign the lease, we'll officially have a 'campus'!

In a way, this expansion is scarier than starting the school was - with two buildings I'm really adding to the overhead with more rent, utilities, insurance, etc. - and I'll have to add a receptionist for the second space. So I'm buckling up for a stressful year ahead. I probably won't have much time for the forums, at least in the short term - hope y'all understand.

Now I'm off to the next item on my rapidly growing to-do list: time to go shopping for more pianos.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop on by - I'll give you a tour, and we can even jam a bit if I have time!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 23/07/2010 1:56 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, Tom! Hope it all goes well, you deserve every success.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/07/2010 2:16 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Many congrats! Great news. I'd love a tour around your campus. I'll wait for my next visit to US or a future international expansion over my city!

Congrats again.

Posted : 23/07/2010 2:27 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's outstanding news. Really outstanding. Great to see you making this thng whirl. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/07/2010 3:06 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Managing growth is the most challenging aspect of most businesses.

Congrats and Good Luck!

Posted : 23/07/2010 4:55 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Congrats BMOC, er, Noteboat. That's fantastic news. All the best. :)

Don

Posted : 23/07/2010 4:58 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Very cool!!! Much success to you and your staff!!!

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 23/07/2010 5:21 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Congratulations, you must definitely be doing something very right!

Wishing you lots of success with your new venture, and your wisdom will be missed.

Posted : 23/07/2010 5:40 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats! That is great news. I'm very happy to hear that! Keep on with whatever you're doing! :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 26/07/2010 6:00 am
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Congratulations and good luck. I hope it exceeds your expectations.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 26/07/2010 1:00 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thank you everyone!

We're making fast progress - the lease is signed, I have the keys, the contractor has already been through the place to look at the modifications I need, and one of my teachers has already committed to extending her schedule to take advantage of the additional studio time. I hope to start moving furniture in by next Monday, and be up and running within two weeks after that at the latest.

Then we can have a ribbon cutting party for the new space :)

Posted : 26/07/2010 1:24 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Thank you everyone!

We're making fast progress - the lease is signed, I have the keys, the contractor has already been through the place to look at the modifications I need, and one of my teachers has already committed to extending her schedule to take advantage of the additional studio time. I hope to start moving furniture in by next Monday, and be up and running within two weeks after that at the latest.

Then we can have a ribbon cutting party for the new space :)
Sounds cool, Note.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 26/07/2010 1:41 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just a quick update - the new studios didn't open until October (contractors never keep to a schedule!), but we've already filled the new spaces a couple days a week. And we haven't had our opening party yet - so it's time!

We'll be doing a ribbon cutting with local dignitaries, assorted politicians, and the local press two weeks from today, December 16th, at 11:30am. If you're in the Plainfield/Joliet area, and you'd like to drop by, you're quite welcome - and we'll even feed you!

Posted : 03/12/2010 4:19 am