Clear all

Surf Sat. 2/15/05-Cambridge Mass.

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

The Kirkland Cafe in Cambridge Massachusettes will host the Northeast Surf Music Alliance on Saturday February 15th, 8:30-12:30p.m.. I've been to a number of these, and they are usually a lot of fun (especially if you like electric guitars 8) ). Though, for some reason (different sound guy, I think), one was unbearably loud.

Of the bands playing, I've only seen the 9th Wave, but they are very good. 9th Wave's lead guitarist has the fastest tremolo picking I've ever seen. The bands typically play a mix of classic and their own material, but tend to focus on originals (mostly instrumentals, but at least one of these band has vocals) with a classic sound. Surf can vary from pop (e.g. Beach Boys) to punk (e.g. The Cramps), but this line-up looks like it might be pretty upbeat.

There's never been a problem getting in, but the Kirkland is a pretty small bar, so no promises (it's also slightly rough around the edges, but safe). I think there might be a $5 or $10 cover.

I'll be close to the bar, find me and I'll buy you a Harpoon (or a Guiness, if you prefer).

Posted : 08/01/2005 4:38 am
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

i cant be there (because im about 2000 miles away from there) but please post pics!

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 15/01/2005 2:17 am
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I have to admit the last thing I think about when I'm out at a show is taking pictures. I always think of a good rock show as a visceral "in the moment" type of event. If it isn't, I just leave; if it is, I just have fun. Looks like I've corralled a good sized crowd of friends to go, though. Should be a good time. I've been to so many of these things now, that the gutarist (the founder of the North East Surf Music Alliance) always comes over and pushes me to start my own surf band. Obviously they've never heard me play.

For those who like surf, though, I saw Los Straitjackets just before Christmas (it was a mostly christmas themed show, complete with burlesque (sort of) dancers in seasonally appropriate "clothing"). If you get a chance to see these guys, take it. It was amazing. I dragged my wife along and she just smiled and laughed and danced all nght. We had a great time and the music was wonderful.

Posted : 15/01/2005 1:51 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am very tempted to attend this, it would be great to see some good surf guitar. I just checked, it is 125 miles for me.

I may attend this. I'll let you know.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 16/01/2005 1:21 pm
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Were you there, Wes?
2 of the bands were from CT, you could probably catch them closer to home sometime. The one band from Boston still needs some polish.
These things are great for guitar players to attend because the focus really is on the guitar, and the guitarist's focus is on his tone and technique. Very educational and a lot of fun.

Posted : 16/01/2005 2:01 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That group 9th Wave played at a local club a few months ago. I missed the show and unfortunately the club has closed.

I am a big fan of Surf Music anyway. I remember all those songs when I was a kid. I love that stuff. You have to be a good guitarist to play Surf.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 17/01/2005 11:43 am
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I've developed quite a collection of surf CDs over the years. I didn't realize until a couple years ago that there were still bands playing this stuff and even writing new stuff. Shadowy Men from a Shadowy Planet and Los Straitjackets are both highly recommended among the newer bands. I almost choked when I saw the name of one band... The Howlin' Thurstons.

Posted : 19/01/2005 11:44 pm