Clear all

Surgery Is Set!!!

84 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I finally have an end in sight for this rare thing (Chronic Mastoiditis) I've had lay me out since September '07. I found an older doctor who has seen my condition before. What's better, is that he cares. He's the head ear/neck/head surgeon for the University of North Carolina Hospital System. My doctor, wife, friends and myself have been searching for months for someone willing to do the surgery. Even my doctor's classmate and long-time friend, who's supposed to be on a short list of experts nation-wide, ran me out of her office. No one wanted to get involved, which I can understand. What I can't understand are the lies and lacks of effort we've had to endure to get to this point.

Well, it's scheduled for 5/27/08. Maybe sooner if they can somehow work something out with the hospital. Hope to know this week. Doc does not want to wait. Something about a potentially lethal bone infection in my skull. :roll: In the mean-time, I'm back on alternating two days each of 2 different pain meds, continued smoking cessation and strong as hell anti-biotics.

You can imagine the huge sense of relief all involved have right now. My wife and I were nearly in tears when they told us they can fix me. My regular doctor's persistance has pretty much kept me alive. I owe her something nice, that's for sure.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 03/04/2008 10:22 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's great news! Wishing you all the best.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/04/2008 10:26 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

great news. I am happy you will have relief and closure.
mastoiditus?? what's that. growing tusks? :roll:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 03/04/2008 10:35 am
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

That is fantastic news Ray! I know my husband and I would be ecstatic if something like that would fix his migraines.
I hope everything goes smoothly. Keep us posted.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 03/04/2008 12:21 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's great, Roy, I'm glad you have a resolution in sight!

(Hadn't thought about the "mastoidon" aspect.) :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 03/04/2008 12:33 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

So glad to hear the good news!
continued positive vibes coming your way.

#4491....

Posted : 03/04/2008 12:39 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Man, Roy, that is awesome news, Bud!!!!!

So happy for you and your family! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/04/2008 12:57 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That is wonderful, Roy! :D All the best to you! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 03/04/2008 1:07 pm
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

That's great that you can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck and God Bless.

Posted : 03/04/2008 1:08 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

After what you've been through already, Roy, I'm really glad that something's finally going to put an end to your pain. In the rare moments when I don't have a guitar in my hands, I promise I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Both hands. It's about bloody time!

All the best!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/04/2008 5:40 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

All the best, Roy!
That news did my heart good... :)

Don

Posted : 03/04/2008 6:29 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

All the best Roy,

Keep up on the Smoking Cessation! You made it this far and once
you get through this you'll be a new man who doesn't smoke.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 03/04/2008 7:26 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I hope everything goes well, and kudos for you GP for not giving up on you like the others did!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:14 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

that is fabulous news. persistence pays off. i hope it goes well and it works out the way you want.

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:52 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Hope the surgery cures what's ailing you. Best wishes, Roy!

Jim

Posted : 04/04/2008 12:56 am
Page 1 / 6