The Beatles Remastered

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Hi guys,

The word is out according to Mojo Magazine's latest issue that the entire Beatles EMI catalogue is going to be be remastered for release sometime in 2009 (It won't be a rush job for Christmas 2008).

Is it a good thing to change the audible sound quality we have all come to love from those classic recordings?

It's like time travel in a way, should they mess with history?

I don't know! I'm not sure about it!

They say they are going to improve the sound so that Paul's bass for example is more clearly defined as it was always toned down by the the sound engineer originally and also to remove the left channel, right channel separation that was done on the early stereo albums. Apparently it will sound like we the listeners will feel as though we are in the studio literally feet away from Lennon and co. The quality will be that good.

I know I was happy with the fact that I duplicated all my original LP's with the CD versions during the 80's and packed the LP's away in the attic but can I justify to myself duplicating all the CD's with these new remastered versions. H'mmmmm! probably if I can afford it. My wife will finally give up on me I think as a complete and utter Beatle maniac over 40 years after the event and totally incurable (then she's known that for years).

What do you all think about this remastering malarky ?

signed a worried man :? :? :?

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 02/09/2008 11:13 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Apparently it will sound like we the listeners will feel as though we are in the studio literally feet away from Lennon and co. The quality will be that good.

That's got to be a good thing, hasn't it? If you listen to the Led Zep re-masters that Page spent so much time on a few years ago, the sound quality is flawless - absolute perfection. Like Lennon once said, "With Tomorrow Never Knows" I'd imagined in my head that in the background you could hear thousands of monks chanting. That was impractical, of course, and we did something different. I should have tried to get nearer my original idea, the monks singing, I realise now that was what it wanted."

What I DID hate was the "Love" album - you know, the one where they stuck odd tracks together and made a real pig's ear of them. Even though it was done under the supervision of George Martin, I HATED that album. I'd rather listen to Revolution #9, or even the whole of the White Album.

But anything that improves the original tracks, I'm all for it. Remember the original vinyl pressings of 62-66 and 67-70? Take a listen to those - the stereo mix on 'em sounds like it was done by Phil Spector on one of his "back to mono!" days. Anyway, it looks like we'll have to reserve judgement till the albums come out, then we can compare and contrast.

:D :D :D

A not-very-worried-at-all Vic. (After all, we've still got the originals!)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/09/2008 2:04 pm
(@alangreen)

I have the Led Zep and Rush remastered CDs and they're excellent. I might not be running down to the shop to buy the Beatles because my girlfriend's got most of them on "ordinary" CDs and there's no need to replace them.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 02/09/2008 3:50 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Depends on who will be doing the mastering. It's easy to gradually change the atmosphere without realizing but I'll check it out when it's done.

Posted : 02/09/2008 4:13 pm
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

??? What were the last releases that I bought? I thought they were digitally remastered? They has both the stereo and mono versions with 4 CD's in each pack. There were 2 of them? The way I understood it was they were the UK versions not the US releases.

The Capitol Albums Vol 1 & 2

Bob Jessie

Posted : 02/09/2008 6:57 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Vic Lewis wrote:
What I DID hate was the "Love" album - you know, the one where they stuck odd tracks together and made a real pig's ear of them. Even though it was done under the supervision of George Martin, I HATED that album.

I totally agree with you here Vic. I made it known to everyone friends and family that I didn't want a copy of that Love Album for a Christmas or Birthday present. But I was given it by well meaning best friends. I listened to it once, yuk!! and sold it on. George and John would have turned in their graves I think.

I still love the White Album though except for "Revolution No 9" " Honey Pie" " Wild Honey Pie" and "Helter Skelter" I always skip those tracks without fail.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 03/09/2008 6:17 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What's so wrong about it? :?

Posted : 03/09/2008 9:40 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

What's so wrong about it? :?

Just a matter of taste - I personally loathe most of that album. Yes, there are good tracks - While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Helter Skelter, the acoustic version of Revolution - but they're few and far between. IMO, all the good tracks could have been taken out and used as one side of a single album.

I know you're into experimental music, Arjen - but even you must find it hard to justify the existence of "Revolution #9!" To my mind, most of the album is turgid, self-indulgent, drug-addled rubbish. I just don't like it - this was supposed to be the greatest band in the world at the peak of their powers, instead it sounds like a bunch of stoned hippies playing around.

As always, that's just MY opinion - other people seem to like it. I think it's a sprawling, bloated mess that could easily have been cut to a single album. If ever there was a case of the Emperor's New Clothes......

(I blame Yoko!)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/09/2008 10:17 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Vic Lewis wrote:
As always, that's just MY opinion - other people seem to like it. I think it's a sprawling, bloated mess that could easily have been cut to a single album

I think you will find Vic, that George Martin tended to agree with you as he apparently tried hard to convince the Beatles to make only a single album of it at the time. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall eh!

John was said to be into Heroin during that period and the others were concerned for him as that was the one drug and the somewhere that they did not want to visit.

Chris

Posted : 03/09/2008 10:43 am
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I think you will find Vic, that George Martin tended to agree with you as he apparently tried hard to convince the Beatles to make only a single album of it at the time. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall eh!
Chris

Yes - he stated that quite clearly in the Anthology. He was not pleased with it either. I like the album. I like the variety. All kinds of different songs, rockers, country, blues. Sure, there are some clunkers in there, but so what ! It's the Beatles.

I remember being at my freinds house and we would play it over and over again, the funny thing is, when "Revolution 9" came on his mother would ask us to turn it off.

to this day, I still don't play that song if I listen to the album. (Sorry, CD..)

Bob Jessie

Posted : 03/09/2008 12:26 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't know Vic, I actually like Revolution #9. It might not be a 'song' but it is, to me, a powerfull and emotional sound all the same. Sure, you can't sing along nor 'play the solo' or such, but to me the anxiety and alienation creates a much stronger effect then the happy-go-lucky pop songs they wrote, which I dislike much, much more. On a sidenote IMHO songs like R9 are the ideal candidate for remixes as modern technology can show the ideas behind such experimental music much better. 'Yellow submarine' and such are, to me, done. But anyway, songs like I am the walrus, Lady Madonna, Yesterday, Back in the USSR, Hey Jude, Alle you need is love and while my guitar gently wheeps surely aren't ' that bad.

Sure, there are some lesser gems on it but I'd rather have some mediocre songs then no songs. The only thing I disagree with is the track order. IMHO it would have been much better to just make an 'A' and B side, with on A the classic, easy-listenable, tracks and on B the weirder stuff, for those who care. I have no idea what motivated them to do order the tracks the way they do now, it just makes no sense. R9 can be a great experience, but if you put it between some pop songs it just plain sucks, it doesn't belong there and requires a much too radical 'shift' in how I'm listening.

But all in all, if that would have been my album I wouldn't have been ashamed about it.

As for pretentious crap: the limit for me is reached with Unfinished Music No.1.

Posted : 03/09/2008 12:35 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

My favorite Beatles LP was 'Let It Be". I have friends who refuse to play the album but I like the roughness about it. " Let It Be Naked" is even better 8) Although I do like the original 'across the Universe better. :wink:
Re mastering the Beatles is OK as long as They don't get carried away.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 03/09/2008 1:02 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Ah ha!

Smokindog to the rescue! I feel a bit better about all this now. I'll wait and see how it all pans out in 2009.

Interesting perspectives from everyone ,thanks guys!

I must admit to being curious as to the sound quality that their first album "Please Please Me" will have when remastered as I love it's almost live atmosphere. It was originally recorded in just sixteen hours due to their heavy touring schedule

John Lennon was suffering from a bad cold which you can also hear on the tracks currently. Just listen to "Misery"

It was defining album for me even though it was a mixed bag of cover songs interspersed with early Lennon McCartney gems. Plus the two singles "Love Me Do" and "Please Please Me" added in for good measure. It pointed the way for things to come.

John never sang "Twist And Shout" better suffering with that cold as he was.

Chris

Posted : 04/09/2008 6:28 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Another update on The Beatles Remastered.

It's spooky that they are choosing 09/09/09 for the roll out. John's least favourite number!

Go to this link for news

http://thebeatles.com/core/news/

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 07/04/2009 9:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's spooky that they are choosing 09/09/09 for the roll out. John's least favourite number!

Not exactly mine, either.....

"Number nine.....number nine....number nine....."

Better start saving those pennies - I've a feeling a lot of CD collections are going to be upgraded!

Vic

Posted : 07/04/2009 9:18 pm
Page 1 / 2