The Guitar Has Eyes.....

21 Posts
17 Users
0 Reactions
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

:shock: I didn't even think to check that :shock:

Can you tell I've only owned standard strats and epi LPs?

thankyou :D - just checked and the tone control has a push-pull switch!!! no idea what that means, lol, gonna have to try it out in a minute, but thanks a I'd have been utterly crap and not noticed for god-knows how long. :evil:

I wasn't to sure about the inlay at first either, but for the price decided I could live with it and its now growing on me - though the 12th fret was (I thought) gonna be a cat, so I was relieved to get a pair of eyes instead. They do still keep looking at me though. But, as Vic said, it encourages me to play guitar more (not that I need encouraging, lol).

Its a brilliant guitar for the price - I could't get online last night to post my review, but I've been delaying it slightly because I want to do it justice and link to some similarly priced guitars as well. For UK prices you'd be hard pressed to find a guitar of this quality for this price - it reminds me of the PRS guitars I used to lust after in Dawson's and my chemistry tutor's Patrick Eggle (beautiful guitars, if you ever want something high end, check them out!).

UPDATE: I think the push-pull on the tone switch splits the coils, making single-coil(ish) sounds out of my humbuckers - awesome fun and something I'm really gonna get to grips with and utilise as I get to know this guitar more and more. Makes it even better value, the tonal range you can coax out of it is impressive, and I'm far from exhausting it yet. :D

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 23/02/2008 1:50 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Scrybe.

Your guitar knowledge is super impressive. Good job on the setup for 10's.

Also grasping the coil split knob functionality is very cool!

Your opinion of the Spear resembling the PRS is intriguing. I was noticing the headstock is the same shape as my PRS other than the end cut.

Here's mine...

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 23/02/2008 3:30 pm
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Thats a stunning guitar - how much do they go for in the UK? +1 for Eggles as well, had a mess with some once at the Liverpool guitar show (must go again this year) and they were gorrrrrrrrrrrrgeous. Though I might be biased towards small shop UK builders owning a Gordon Smith..

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 23/02/2008 4:57 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yup, my guess would be for coil splitting. A splitted humbucker is usually a bit weaker then a real SC so you might want to add a touch of compression and boost the mids a bit when using it. Anyway, looks like a great guitar, have fun with it! Btw, love the inlays. Not just because I like cats but because I'm a sucker for inlay-extravaganza. :oops:

and if the eyes really bother you, just send it my way...

Posted : 23/02/2008 7:44 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That is a nice looking guitar for sure! I love the inlays.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 24/02/2008 5:52 am
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

Excellent looking guitar! I am looking at a Spear guitar at the moment (GAS again!) . . . but I am struggling to find a stockist in the UK (although Blacki, the distributor, are perhaps sorting a demo guitar for me at my local shop:)).

Spear are getting rave reviews in the mags over here in Europe - seem to be churning out high quality, well finished instruments are prices that make Epiphones look a tad pricey. :shock:

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

Posted : 03/03/2008 7:10 pm
Page 2 / 2