The Long Persuasive Arm of David Hodge

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hi,

This morning I went into a small bookshop in our local West Australian town in search of a technical book.

But something winked at me from one of the shelves, and I came out with David Hodge's bass guitar book instead. How did that happen! :shock:

Congratulations David, you have succeeded in spreading the good word right around the globe. 8) :D

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 04/08/2007 4:46 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's a really great book Chris! ( I have a signed copy! 8) ) That is so cool that David's book is global! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/08/2007 4:52 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Congrats to David and GN !

Posted : 04/08/2007 6:28 am
(@davidhodge)

Thanks for buying the book, Chris. Please let me know what you think and also what mistakes you may happen to find in it.

And if you PM me your address, I'll gladly send you a thank you card! :wink:

Peace

Posted : 07/08/2007 1:26 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for buying the book, Chris. Please let me know what you think and also what mistakes you may happen to find in it.

I'll keep my eye out - but I'm not expecting to find any mistakes. :)

It's been a busy couple of days so I've only read the first couple of chapters, but first impressions are that it's very well written. I've suffered through quite a few "Teach Yourself" style books that were authored by people with reasonable knowledge but pretty poor writing skills. Many were dull and heavy going, with fairly laboured 'jokes' that had been inserted like plums in a suet pudding, to try and sweeten things up. So it's great to find one that flows so well and can be read as much for pleasure as for information. 8)

Reading your Bass book has been more like listening to a favorite Uncle or an old friend chatting away in a comfortable, humorous and interesting way. This is no mean feat. As a sometime writer myself I know that writing that looks easy - as if it just flowed in a relaxed way, straight out of the author's head onto the page - is quite a rare skill and is not simple at all. :) Anyway, it looks excellent so far and I'm looking forward to reading the rest over the coming weeks, and putting some of the information into practice.

And if you PM me your address, I'll gladly send you a thank you card! :wink:

Peace

Thanks for the generous offer, but I should probably send you one instead. :wink: The topics in the chapters ahead look like they cover all the questions that I had in advance, so I think I'll be getting every cent of my money's worth. I'll be sure to let you know if I spot any gaps, typos or fluffs though. :P

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 07/08/2007 12:09 pm