Clear all

The mind wants what the hands can't.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well it's been an interesting week. My grandmother goes into the hospital and has a mental breakdown, then comes back from it. The she's so weak the doctors don't know what to do, and her MD overreacts and says that she's got to have exploratory surgery. The next day (without surgery) she's fine, and the doctor admitted he overreacted.

Now with my 3rd shift schedule and watching my son during the day until my wife gets home from work I get about 3-4 hours of sleep each night. Thankfully my mother watches him a couple days a week so I can get some sleep.

Well, with all that's going on, not this week. I still play the guitar while watching my son, but it sounds like garbage.

In my mind I'm thinking two different things at the same time....and they're contradictory. Yes I can....I'm too fatigued.

So while the mind wants to play and play well, the hands just aren't going to respond.

The point of this post....well, just to get thoughts out on paper (electronic paper that is)

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 29/10/2009 5:06 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hang in there Joe, been there done that. When my kids were little I never slept. :lol: When I play guitar when I'm tired it never sounds good to me. Don't know if it's the ears, fingers or both with the problem. In either case, when I play tired it is just to play. I don't worry about how it sounds. The act of playing, diverting the mind is all that needs to matter then. When you are rested your playing will be normal. Trust me. 8)

TR remembers ..... it's 1988, just worked a 10 1/2 hour night shift in the ICU, came home and slept for one hour and forty five minutes .... got up and now finds himself pushing a shopping cart (2 actually) around the grocery store in an attempt to stay awake he is doing the grocery shopping. One cart with groceries, the other with a one and two year old. He is dreaming of when the wife gets home so he can sleep another 2 hours. Fade to now .... sleep in the recliner at will, take naps, kids are grown, only short myself on sleep to do stupid things like play golf and watch ball games on work days.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 29/10/2009 5:44 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

when I play tired it is just to play. I don't worry about how it sounds. The act of playing, diverting the mind is all that needs to matter then.

That's the mentality I think I need to have. Thanks TR!

Posted : 29/10/2009 5:56 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Joe I think you are going through an obviously stressfull time in your life and it's something we all go through at one time or another but I think TR gave you some good advice.

Don't worry so much on how it sounds and just play and if that dosen't sound good then just put it down and rest any way you can.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/10/2009 6:24 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if every day were wonderful life would be soooo boring.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 29/10/2009 7:12 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

if every day were wonderful life would be soooo boring.

I could go for a little boring right now.

Anyways Joe we have all been there one way or another.

I sometime find that playing when tired little creative things
come out that I might not try when fully alert.

Then I have to remember what they were. :lol:

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 29/10/2009 7:46 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys!!

I agree, if life were wonderful all the time it would be boring.

And yeah, the creative stuff just kind of comes out when I'm tired too, so does alot of babble from my mouth :lol:

Posted : 30/10/2009 3:35 am