Notifications
Clear all

The thin e

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nivek-tta)
Topic starter

for those that have read my intro will learn of an accident years ago that stopped me playing I am now finding that i have the ability to angle my hand for the chords but i have one problem and that is no matter what neck i use i still damp the thin e when for example i go for Em hand just wont go that extra bit. i feel that if i was to affix a thin slither of timber to the low edge that would do the trick i have apparently very large hands which does not help . has anybody either got any advice on how i could improve on this ,has any body had the same problem, has anybody done any mods like the one i suggested and if so how did they affix the timber

ps: the timber slither would be about 3-5mm

cheers chaps

one horse one one race and one horse one one two

Posted : 04/11/2008 10:28 am
(@alangreen)

So, this additional sliver of wood on the neck would be to make sure you hand stays far enough away from the neck that you don't mute the thin E string, is that right?

The main problem is that if you make this a permanent fixture you could zero any resale value of your guitar later. If you have a bolt-on neck then the main problem is less of a problem but I would be tempted to grab hold of an extra neck and make the modification to that.

So, let's start from scratch. What guitar are you thinking of modifying in this way?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 04/11/2008 10:44 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

you could have a new nut made to respace the strings to move the e away from the edge of the fingerboard. however, this would move at least some -- and probably all the strings closers together and might cause you other issues. it would work better on a guitar with a wide neck.

you should also have the string action checked to make sure the nut and bridge are not raising the strings too high. it might even be possible to drop only the high e string a bit in height and still not affect the guitar operation.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 04/11/2008 4:50 pm
(@alangreen)

you could have a new nut made to respace the strings to move the e away from the edge of the fingerboard. however, this would move at least some -- and probably all the strings closers together and might cause you other issues. it would work better on a guitar with a wide neck.

you should also have the string action checked to make sure the nut and bridge are not raising the strings too high. it might even be possible to drop only the high e string a bit in height and still not affect the guitar operation.

Wouldn't you need to do the same with the sadlles? Otherwise your strings would be diagonally across the fretboard

A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 05/11/2008 9:28 am
(@nivek-tta)
Topic starter

thanx guys for the response the guitar is an unbranded fender strat with a deep v 12inch rad neck and has been customized (not by me) since i have posted this yesterday i have done a make shift mod that seems to work using a 4mm wide slither of mahogany and doubled sided tape, because the the almost zero weight of the the timber it is surprising secure. I guess time will tell. cant shift the string over due to a string locking nut (one of the customs) have set the neck as straight, strings are below recommendation @ 12th just hope in time hand might improve . totally take on board about the resale value luckily its resale is probably not that much due to the the unbranding

one horse one one race and one horse one one two

Posted : 05/11/2008 10:01 am