Clear all

Think I might have found what I've been looking for

18 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It seems we finally have locked down a guitarist. He's a friend of the drummer, so that's a bonus. The day he auditioned, he wasn't as prepared as we hoped and his tone was a little too distorted, but he agreed to tone it down a bit and do his homework. The 2nd practice with him was much better and he can really play. We've missed a few weeks due to travel, so we will see how it goes Sunday.

For my punk band, found out a few weeks ago that our guitarist is moving out of state in August. Singer wants to replace him, I'm at the point where I'd be content just letting the band end gracefully. I want to record all our material over the summer and say that's it. We have a show Saturday and because of everyone's schedules, we are going on hiatus for a couple of months. We'll see how things work out.

My fun Friday night acoustic jam with friends and family is going to get a little more serious over the next month and a half. The main "members" (me, a friend and my oldest son) are going on a camping trip in early June with our karate dojo. Last year, me and my friend had just started jamming and he had just got back into playing when we went on the annual camping trip. We played a few songs poorly around the campfire. Much improvement has been made in the past year and people have already started talking about us playing around the campfire. I want it to stay fun, but I want it tightened up since it's starting to become a "show". My friend on guitar and vox, my son on guitar and me on bass, except a few my son and I will swap. I'll sing a few and play harmonica on a few. Our set list is...

Take It Easy
Some Beach
Margaritaville
Kryptonite
Knockin On Heaven's Door
The Letter
One More Cup of Coffee
Here Without You
Heart of Gold
Landing in London (my friend really likes 3 Doors Down)
Red Solo Cup
Whiskey in the Jar
Tequila Sunrise
Bloodshot Eyes (by Trampled by Turtles, my son will sing this one)
Bad Moon Rising
Working Man Blues

We have about half down pretty well, just need to work out starts and stops, the rest are in progress.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 04/04/2012 6:58 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Looks like a fun assortment.

Too bad about the Punk band, though. Hopefully the hiatus fuels some energy. or not. Whatever you end up wanting is what I wish you get. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 04/04/2012 8:18 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Looks like a fun assortment.

Too bad about the Punk band, though. Hopefully the hiatus fuels some energy. or not. Whatever you end up wanting is what I wish you get. :)

Thanks. Honestly, I've been ready for it to end since last fall. For a while, it was my only musical outlet with other people, but now I've got others that are much more fun and interesting. I just don't have time to dedicate to it and it's run its course.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 04/04/2012 9:42 pm
Page 2 / 2