Skip to content
!!!Two more gigs!!!...

Notifications
Clear all

!!!Two more gigs!!! Pecan Street festival, and more!!

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter

8) 8) Yup, the band got two more gigs... One's for a benefit concert at the Pecan Street fest!!! Over 250,000 people will be at the festival!!! :D :D http://www.roadstarproductions.com/fallpecan.php

And another one, which they didn't say the name, but I'm excited about that too!! :D :D

Man, it's great playing music in public.... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 21/08/2005 2:03 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

yoyo286
Over 250,000 people will be at the festival!!!

You're killing me kid. I've been playing over 33 years now.

Times I've played for 500 people or more --- Maybe 10 times or less.

Times I've played for 10 people or less --- Maybe 500 times.

Oh well, what you gonna do? :roll:

Heh, you guys better be practiced up and tight. :twisted:

Congratulations, knock 'em dead.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 21/08/2005 11:15 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm on Wes' side of things... after performing for 29 or 30 years (I don't remember if my first paid gig was in '75 or '76):

Times I've played before 100,000 or more: 1
Times the band outnumbered the audience and bartender combined: 1

(funny thing - of all the gigs I've done, those 2 are both definately in the top 5 'most memorable' ones!)

Average attendance where I'm the draw (instead of a wedding, fundraiser, etc.): 30-80
Seating capacity of the venue for my next gig: 160

Congrats on all the exposure. I'm jealous :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 21/08/2005 11:35 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

NoteBoat
Times the band outnumbered the audience and bartender combined: 1

2 years ago my band played a nice club. We invited lots of folks out, put out flyers, the whole bit.

The night of the gig we got a blizzard. It was about 15 degrees, 25-30 miles wind blowing, white-out conditions.

Not one single person came in the club. The only person besides us was the bartender.

What the heck, we played anyway. We had fun and treated it like a practice, worked on a few new songs. Around 11 we packed it in and got home early.

But I'll tell you. I will never forget driving home in that blizzard with my bass player Leroy. We could barely see. It may sound dumb, but that is one of the best experiences I've ever had.

This stuff is fun! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 22/08/2005 2:02 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it sure is. And you had triple my crowd!

The smallest I've played for was two paying fans (actually I think they were out-of-town conventioners who wandered into the wrong club) and a bartender. Also a bad weather night.

We just cut loose anyway, and the bartender seemed to be digging it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 22/08/2005 2:27 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations Yoyo,
Sounds like you are about to have the time of your life, WOW.

Posted : 22/08/2005 7:05 pm
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter

yoyo286
Over 250,000 people will be at the festival!!!

You're killing me kid. I've been playing over 33 years now.

Times I've played for 500 people or more --- Maybe 10 times or less.

Times I've played for 10 people or less --- Maybe 500 times.

Oh well, what you gonna do? :roll:

Heh, you guys better be practiced up and tight. :twisted:

Congratulations, knock 'em dead.

Wes

Wes, I said 250,000 will be at the festival, not to watch us (Hopefully they'll watch us :D ) The other one is a KASA benifit concert at Threadgills south, which will be pretty cool, since its for a good cause... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 23/08/2005 12:28 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Congrats, Yoyo!

Keep up the good work and don't ever put that guitar down. You could be the next ______ (fill in the blank)!

You are young, follow in the ways of your mentors and most importantly, have fun!!!

Keep it up young grasshopper.

Posted : 24/08/2005 2:13 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'll just add my congrats, I've only played ONCE - so far - in front of more than 30 people, but that went OK....

So have a good one mate, Like Wes said, get practising, make sure you're really tight....

Just curious...are you playing your own songs or covers? Send us a set list...

Once again, have a great time, you've already overcome the biggest hurdle - if you think playing in public is fun, you're 90% of the way there...

ROCK 'EM mate!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/08/2005 2:35 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yoyo, congradulations. You really got a chance to go somewhere with music I think man. Make sure you guys are all practiced, really happy for you.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 24/08/2005 2:43 pm
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Just curious...are you playing your own songs or covers? Send us a set list...

Thanks everyone!! :) I'm playing the Keep Austin Weird fest this Saturday!!!! :shock: Wish me luck!!!

Vic- Our set list is as follows:

Current:
"Should I Stay or Should I Go" The Clash
"Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" The Ramones
"Get off My Cloud" The Stones
"Antone's Stage" Original

In the Works:
"That Smell" Skynyrd
"Scott and Bo" Original by our singer, who is 10 years old!!
3 originals by me; got the arrangements, just need some lyrics!!!
And hopefully a Allman Brothers tune!!! :D

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 24/08/2005 10:07 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sounds a pretty good set to me....

We usually play "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" in the pub tuesdays, great song to play, and with anywhere between 4 and 10 acoustics cranking it out, it really rocks the joint....

The ones you're working on look good as well....what Allman's song are you thinking of doing? I've been trying to get "Whipping Post" down for ages, still only half-way there....

Maybe "Rambling Man" might be a good place to start....

Anyway, look forward to reading the post-gig report....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/08/2005 11:47 pm
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The ones you're working on look good as well....what Allman's song are you thinking of doing? I've been trying to get "Whipping Post" down for ages, still only half-way there....

I don't know... I think Whipping Post might be a bit tough for the guys... I mean there are just soo many parts and stuff (And its basically a jam, while I'm the only one who can even try to "improvise")... :?

Ramblin' Man might be a bit too country for what we do, but it's a good song nonetheless! :)

Actually, I was thinkin' of "Don't Keep Me Wonderin' "... It seems like a fairly easy song (two notes, and then the lead fill in parts...)... I'll try to persuade them... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 31/08/2005 9:46 pm
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Bad news guys... Both gigs are cancelled due to caution for Hurricane Rita... :?

Oh well, at least I didn't spend my money this year on ACL Fest tickets! I feel bad for that crowd... :cry:

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 22/09/2005 9:46 pm