Clear all

Wildeye Gig Report

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

We played this past Friday night at the local VFW Hall in Tinley Park, IL and at a campground out in Yorkville IL.

VFW Hall
Friday Night (June 29) was less than stellar. When we approached the VFW (back in March) we told them we would play and a portion of the door and all the liquor money. We played this venue back in April, May and now just this past Friday (June 29). In April they never really promoted it. They never added us to the marque, so then no one on the street even knew a band was playing that night. They said they were going to invite all these people (etc etc) and really get the community behind it, and the only people that showed up were our friends and family. In May we had to constantly remind them to put us up on the sign outside, we put flyers out all over the place, we were on Public Access TV promoting it, and again only people who showed were our friends. On Friday night we didn't even bother to promote it anymore knowing it was going to be our last time there. We were up on the marque though...only it said "Wildfire" tonight. Whatever, our family and friends (who showed up) knew who was playing. The people at the VFW Hall are really unbelievable. Now our friends are not really a "dancing" crowd and we play very dancable classic rock, so we really didn't know how well an audience would react to us based on our friends reactions. That is until Saturday night...

Campground Yorkville
What a difference a day makes. We played here last summer and on Saturday night we had the crowd from beginning to the end. As is usual we started playing and a couple of people showed up to see "how we were." Then they started using thier cell phones to call down to the thier campsites and told them to come up and check out the band. By the middle of the first set the pavilion was packed, everyone was dancing, it was unbelieveable. There were people dancing on the picnic tables, taking our picture and video with their cell phones, girls trying to out dance each other (which for us...we highly encourage!!!). There was a cute girl who showed up with her boyfriend and after one song she got on the dance floor with everyone else. She tried to get her boyfriend to come out...but he didn't want to go out there and dance. I guess he got pissed and left because she was dancing with all the other girls and ignoring him (bonus for us). She was there until the end and he was no where to be found. We knew from last year that it would be fun, but even THIS exceeded our expectations. Cars were double parked outside the pavilion and there were so many golf carts outside nothing could get by.

We are playing this Saturday night at Delrocks in Oak Forest IL on July 7 (local bar). We REALLY needed this kind of a push going into our first "bar gig." We were really starting to doubt ourselves.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 02/07/2007 2:03 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, Hooray for Saturday night! Sounds like y'all had a good time! Congratulations! Those gigs where only your friends and family show up can be very disheartening, but they're an inevitable part of this business, and you'll probably have some more. But, now you know that it's only an every once in a while thing, and, as you said... "What a difference a day makes"!!! :D Good for you, TommyGuns!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/07/2007 4:23 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's so cool playing at a campground! How do you get those kind of gigs? I gotta know! Yea, nice when you get the pretty girls dancin' out there. Makes it more fun to play. :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 02/07/2007 10:33 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on a great gig! 8) Good luck this weekend. Oh yeah, don't go back to the VFW! :x

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/07/2007 12:51 am
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Unfortunatley, Elektrablue is right, sometimes you're lucky to get the friends and family. Last month when I played on a Monday night my husband was about the only one listening. I think of it as away to practice performance, getting comfortable on stage, etc. And as long as I'm having fun, I'm happy.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 03/07/2007 12:59 pm