You asked for it II!!!

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Okay again maybe not but this is a definite time capsule. (more history first). My first career was in retail. I sold TV's and Appliances. One advantage was I was practically the first person in my town to get his hands on the latest in video recording technology back in the 70's and 80's. Since I've always gigged live, I've always been able to record my bands.

This project I'm going to display was done with the most professional portable quality gear that was available at the time. Sadly, the camera operator wasn't told when to stop drinking so the camera work gets "better" as the night goes on. The sound was directly recorded from the main mixer so it is pretty close to what the live sound was like.

This was the party we played at with thousands of people. It was an outdoor 4th of July concert and it was hotter than the fireworks. It was put on by Springfield Armory. They are a large gun manufacturer heavily involved in shooting sports. I sold their guns for a while and knew everyone that worked there. They held this event annually and this one got taped.

The first segment is semi long with a long lead in with two songs. I left it intentionally so you could get the jist of the hosts. They spared no expense. It was a huge night. I hope you enjoy it. I do even after 20 years. This one was performed in approximately 1985. (I was so young. DOH!!)

This was also the original that we offered to a local radio station for an album contest. We were one of 20 entries and only 9 or so got on the album. This was one of our originals. It also has a copy song, too. I'll post the originals first and then some covers.

A couple of side notes. This is the original OASIS band. We had the name back in late 1979 or early 80. We were Oasis for at least 2 years. We played all over the area. After we split up we hadn't played together until this gig which was about 3 years later. We got together and practiced about 7 times or so before this concert. We love pressure. :D We changed the band name to 'Howie Long and the Headaches' for this show. We had 10,000 aspirin to throw at the crowd as one of our gimmicks. It was fun.

http://65.113.2.158/DontwastetimeOutfield.wmv

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 29/12/2005 8:56 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Bish

Oh yeah, that was 80's all the way. You guys sounded like a mixture of Journey, The Police, and a little Van Halen. :D

Actually, you guys were pretty darn good. Very good vocals. The singer liked to talk too much between songs though.

Maybe the beer??

I finally got to see a brief glimpse of you at the end of the song. It is not easy being the drummer. Nobody ever sees you, but you get blamed for everything. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 29/12/2005 3:06 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Bish

Oh yeah, that was 80's all the way. You guys sounded like a mixture of Journey, The Police, and a little Van Halen. :D

Actually, you guys were pretty darn good. Very good vocals. The singer liked to talk too much between songs though.

Maybe the beer??

I finally got to see a brief glimpse of you at the end of the song. It is not easy being the drummer. Nobody ever sees you, but you get blamed for everything. 8)

That's why I'm taking up guitar. :D

Yeah the beer was whooping on the singer. Plus he was past his prime. He could barely sing what he did. He was stalling between songs to recoop. :oops: That was his final frontman performance. I'll post a few more vids with better views of me. Not that that is a good thing or anything.

Bish

Posted : 29/12/2005 3:19 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

As announced ( I'm sure you can all hardly wait!! ) The next couple of videos are ready for your inspection.

These are two other originals that we wrote. Time is my favorite.

I hope you enjoy them.

This one also has a copy. This copy that we played made us very popular with other musicians. It was hard as H :shock: LL to play.

http://65.113.2.158/Runsaga.wmv

The following one was probably our best original. :)

http://65.113.2.158/time.wmv

Bish

Posted : 29/12/2005 3:46 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Awesome stuff man! I bet watching these old vids really brings stuff back for you.

You can definitely tell it was the 80s. The hair, the clothes, the sound. Good sound, btw. Really incredible the quality you got with that equipment.

Keep 'em coming! There's no one here at work, I've got one thing to get done before Monday and it should take all of 5 minutes when I start on it. Keep me awake, man!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 29/12/2005 4:05 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

LMOA!!! I'm taking that as a compliment. :D :D :D Yes, it does take me back. Sometimes not a good thing. But mostly yes.

To tell the truth it is very uplifting. I'm in the process of tracking down the other members. I'd been promising to get them copies of all this for years. I never took the time to dub video tapes. It always took so long and at the time the tapes were like $25 a pop. A bit cheaper now. But computer copies are even cheaper and easier and you don't lose any original quality.

OK...

Here's another....

http://65.113.2.158/updown.wmv

Bish

Posted : 29/12/2005 4:27 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

when are sending the free DVD to me..:wink: :twisted:

Posted : 29/12/2005 5:03 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here's the next one....

Http://65.113.2.158/julianlennon.wmv

This one rocks!! 8)

Bish

Posted : 29/12/2005 5:03 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

when are sending the free DVD to me..:wink: :twisted:

Rahul.

I put in on CD for the boys in the band. Since they are all still alive I thought I should finally get them their own copies after 20 years. :oops:

The CD is only 140MB in size total without cuts or breaks. You want a copy, send me your address and I'll see what I can do. I will probablly need $100 for shipping and I promise I'm not making any money on this. I'd do the same for anyone. :twisted:

Bish

Posted : 30/12/2005 2:58 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Really enjoyed all those segments. Great sound and choice of music. Thumbs up! :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 16/02/2006 2:27 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for posting these bish. Fun to watch. :D Good drumming! I like your "Neal Peart" drum kit! :wink: Where's the drum solo?! 8)
:D
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/02/2006 10:28 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bish,

outstanding man, outstanding, " time" is a really great song, thats the way to bring it ,
the drum kit is awsome, way to go 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 16/02/2006 10:51 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

:shock:

STOP IT....more, more, more..... :D

Thank you, very much. It means a lot.

It was the best time of my musical career. I'm very proud of it. Those guys were top notch musicians. I am still in contact with them even though they are now from California to Florida to here in the midwest.

Maybe soon I can bring you something while playing the guitar. That's next on my to-do list.

This site has been such a great inspiration and a second home. Hope I've been a help more than a hinderance here.

Bottom line, without all of you, there would be none of this.

Sniff.....I'm outta here.

Bish

Posted : 16/02/2006 11:13 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Wow, that's very impressive :D Not to bad for a reunion gig, ( pretty good by any standards) You could tell the singer likes his beer, but he still did a good job :wink: I would love to see some new stuff from your present band :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 18/02/2006 5:45 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Smokindog, thanks!

Getting new camera footage...I would, too. :D

The biggest problem I've been having is finding a good spot to place the camera. :x

I'll see what I can do. 8)

Bish

Posted : 18/02/2006 7:40 pm