Young at Heart Chorus

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Not sure if any of you got to see the Young at Heart Chorus film that was shown on PBS last night at 9:00 PM. For those that haven't heard of them it's a chorus of approximately 2 dozen senior citizens (I think 71 or so is the minimum age)that sing rock songs by The Ramones, Bowie, Sonic Youth etc.

These people rock it was the coolest thing I've seen in years. the film documents their rehearsals leading up to a concert in Northhampton, MA I think in 2006 and has won film awards.

It brought back alot of memories of my parents who both passed 2 years ago at 87 and to see these people, some of whom passed during the filming of the movie was gut wrenching to say the least.

But as sad as it was it was very emotional and uplifting.

If you have a chance I highly recommend you watching this I promise you won't be disappointed.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 13/01/2010 1:02 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I watched and also was moved. not so much by the quality of thier singing, but by there determination and outlook at living.
it was touching and personal as well, when two members passed away. brought back memories.
I thought the James Brown song was great.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 14/01/2010 11:40 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yes it was sad and funny at the same time. I had the exact same feelings. It's no so much about the singing but who's doing it. It just brought alot of memories back about my parents watching this and remembering their last days and stuff.

You realize that this is what is keeping some of these people alive. Most of them are alone at this point in there lives which is sad to begin with but to see them get so much enjoyment from this kind of thing made me want to cry.

I liked the James Brown song too but really liked the Staying Alive video they did in the bowling alley how cool was that.

I watched it with a couple of the guys I play with they all liked it too. we kind of all liked little Bob I think his name was. The one that could drive hos little white car and rode the bike. He was 86 when this was filmed and when I looked on the website (they have all the current members pictures) he wasn't there. I assume he probably passed also....sad.

Posted : 14/01/2010 1:05 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I didn't see that particular episode or filming, but I have seen stories about them. Fantastic and heart warming no matter what they sing.

It's sad that it takes age or an extended illness to make someone embrace life so much.

And speaking of aged bands, I saw a fiddle ensemble at the Bottom Line about, oh, 12 years ago or so. Youngest one was 78. 6-8 of them. They stole the show. Poor shmuck following didn't have a chance. The oldest guy had to get his intructions at the beginning of every tune. Probably a candidate for full time care, but music was ingrained so much that he had no probs.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 15/01/2010 12:04 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Roy,

if they ever reply this on PBS you have to try and watch it. Words and articles to come close to the emotion this film brings out when see and here these people.

And the chorus director Bob doesn't cut them any slack, which was a bit suprising at first but they all enjoy and I think like to be pushed a bit.

They practice three times a week and they all look forward to going everytime no matter how they are feeling.

Posted : 15/01/2010 12:35 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Like Roy I didn't see that particular but have heard of them before.

Check out YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2vnEkFZM8&feature=related

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 15/01/2010 10:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I seem to remember someone else (Ricochet?) posting something similar a couple of years back - bunch of old guys & ladies doing a Led Zep song, amongst others. Cool to see the oldies can still rock!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 15/01/2010 11:18 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

We all have to make adjustments. A few older folks having to have other people carry gear or getting their hearing aids set for music is no reason to do what they want. I met an 84 year old lady who was simply exhausting to listen too. I think she was going to learn to weld to do some metal sculpturing. Imagine that class at the local community college. Bunch of big, burly blue collar types and an 84 year old granny. :)

Or be like like my great grand father. Retire from 3 careers. Machinist way back when as he was raising his 6 kids and his sister's 6 kids (tragic car accident left 6 kids parentless), and then teach engineering 6 hours away (either Cornell or S.U.N.Y. Ithica) until retirement and THEN decided he wanted to run a small scale dairy still back in the days of milk cans and did so for 20 years. He did that until the state changed dairy rules and said stuffs gotta be in a refridgerated bulk tank. As he put it, "I didn't see any use in investing in all that equipment when I was already 85. I think it was the good lord telling me it was time to rest". Moved back to NH and really complained and felt depressed about "getting old" because he had to get a gas powered lawn mower to mow his acre+ lot just one year after being forced to give up most of his massive garden. Him and great-granny were gardening, canning and freezing a massive garden up until 94 and 96 years of age, IIRC.

I think I want to be like my grand father on me mum's side. Complaining about lack of nookie at age 84. Perv. Never needed the magic blue pill either. I've known some cool old people. Very inspiring. They really know how to live. Just like that movie, Second Hand Lions.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 16/01/2010 1:28 pm