Clear all

a live jam?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Is there no way to have someone host a bunch of people all playing at once?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 10/04/2006 2:20 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Only face-to-face. Have not yet seen any free or paid internet service that doesn't have significant and variable latencies that are much too large to support live duplex (simultaneous two-way) audio. VOIP services (Vonage and similar) work because the significant fraction of a second delays are still low enough to work in a conversation mode (effectively one-way at a time -- few of us listen while talking :wink:).

If someone ever offers a low latency audio connection service at reasonable $$/minute, I'd sure like to know about it.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 10/04/2006 4:05 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

it sucks that you can have 16 people playing a game against each other for free but no way to to have 2 people play music together

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 10/04/2006 4:26 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

it sucks that you can have 16 people playing a game against each other for free but no way to to have 2 people play music together
The amount of internet data needed to run an interactive game is minimal, compared to the amount of data transmitted, when streaming music.
Games are only interactive to the extent that they exchange vector and action data, which the local application converts to movement and action, so 99.999999% of the entire game is local. Music, on the other hand, is almost entirely data-based - the work percentage, performed by the computer, is very much less and the data transferred, very much more.
As TCP/IP is limited in it's packet size and the routing for each packet, via the internet, not guaranteed, you have no deterministic transport mechanism, so, by default, you're going to suffer latency.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 10/04/2006 5:43 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here's a couple I use all the time with no problems at all http://www.synikalproductions.com/spforum/index.php?topic=590.0

http://www.ninjam.com/

Posted : 11/04/2006 12:01 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Like Moe, I've used NinJam quite a few times with good success. Works really well, actually.

It's always been sort of random though. Would be neat to get together a few people and setup a time to meet on one of the servers.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 11/04/2006 1:31 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm into it. Keep me informed and I'll show up. It's a lot of fun playing live and the ability of both servers, as you know, is awesome. I'm getting that live playing fever now that spring is here and am going to a local club tonight to jam. It's a good life. :lol:

Posted : 11/04/2006 1:50 pm
(@kronie)

New member here. I host a 30 person Ventrilo server for members of my community. This isn't a cheap attempt to steal members, but due to some international restrictions I've required most users to be a member of the forums if for no other reason than to know who's got access. Of course, one could always forward the information off to whomever and that would defeat that entire purpose.

So, with that said... I want to make the offer available here as well. I've jammed with Moe a few times and we had a good time. I'd like to do more, but up here when the nice weather hits... a guy REALLY wants to get out so I may not be on a whole lot. If you all want to tear it up though, just reply to this thread and I'll PM everyone who responds with the server information.

Details on downloading the (small) program and set up are on my forum, the link Moe used.
http://www.synikalproductions.com/spforum/index.php?topic=590.0

Use it, enjoy it, and knock yourselves out! The data center is in Dallas, TX and I've never had a problem with lag, the program is very resource friendly for your PC and the only time I had any lag was jamming with a guy from Australia. Minnesota > Australia, not exactly a walk down the block.

Posted : 11/04/2006 9:50 pm
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

I am up for an organized ninjam. Anyone got a server?

Posted : 18/04/2006 3:32 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am up for an organized ninjam. Anyone got a server?
http://www.ninjam.com/

Posted : 18/04/2006 5:01 am