Skip to content
And now for somethi...

Notifications
Clear all

And now for something alittle different...

42 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
13.3 K Views
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

From what I rmember its in the key of B. I could be wrong - I'll take a listen/quick play through and let you know in about a half hour, going to get some foodsss :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 04/02/2008 11:24 pm
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Taso,

I guarantee you won't be the last one to finish. That honor usually belongs to me. :wink:

Also, staying in college is much more important than a quick turnaround on a jam!

Good luck with mid-terms,

Steve

Posted : 05/02/2008 12:25 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

sounds like B to me indeed, eh guys? Although I find that A, B, F# and E minor pentatonics will all work, imo.

Posted : 05/02/2008 1:10 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I have a question, as this stuff is all new to me and I don't have enough training. What is the key of this backing track? Hopefully one day I'll be able to figure it out on my own.
thx

Good question, and yes, if I'm not mistaken, this track is in the key of B.

With most songs, especially rock songs, if you can figure out the name of the 1st chord in the song, that is usually what key the song is in. Try it with this track, play the track, and every time the 1st chord in the measure plays, go up & down the notes on the low E string until you find one that sounds the same. Just takes alittle parctice & your ear will start to hear it.

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/02/2008 11:03 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Oh, awesome then, I'll hold off till then too. I have 3 midterms this week...And if I don't do very well, goodbye to college for me :( Stressed-out.

Good luck on your midterms Taso!

Don't worry about this jam, we'll be here. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/02/2008 11:06 am
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

I have a question, as this stuff is all new to me and I don't have enough training. What is the key of this backing track? Hopefully one day I'll be able to figure it out on my own.
thx

Good question, and yes, if I'm not mistaken, this track is in the key of B.

With most songs, especially rock songs, if you can figure out the name of the 1st chord in the song, that is usually what key the song is in. Try it with this track, play the track, and every time the 1st chord in the measure plays, go up & down the notes on the low E string until you find one that sounds the same. Just takes alittle parctice & your ear will start to hear it.

Good luck,
Dan

Thx for that tip. I tried the E string trick and it definitely seemed when I hit the B note it seemed to fit. But if I played a B major scale there seemed to be notes that didn't sound good. If I played Bm pentatonic it seemed to flow with the track. So I played the D major pentatonic and that seemed to fit (I guess it should as it's the second position in Bm pentatonic). I assume a full D major scale should also fit.
Does this seem correct that this could be in D major and it's relative Bm?
Or do I just have a wooden ear?

Posted : 05/02/2008 4:12 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Oh, awesome then, I'll hold off till then too. I have 3 midterms this week...And if I don't do very well, goodbye to college for me :( Stressed-out.

I DID SO WELL ON THOSE MIDTERMS, im PUMPED right now. Such a relief, hello weekend :)

Can't wait to get on this jam

Posted : 08/02/2008 8:35 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Great news Taso, way to go! :D

Dan

Posted : 08/02/2008 9:11 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

So I was in NY for the weekend, but I should be able to record something this week.

Posted : 17/02/2008 5:48 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

No rush Taso, take your time. I've been working on my part a little, but still not done with it yet.

Dan

Posted : 18/02/2008 10:31 am
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I tried to lay down some tracks this weekend, but I've been having computer problems. Suddenly there is a lot of noise when I'm recording and playing back. I think it has to do with my ASIO settings, but it's all a bit strange since I recently took part in another jam and everything was fine. In any case, I hope to solve the problem and then I'm going to try to complete something this week too.

Steve

Posted : 19/02/2008 1:05 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I did my part, just gotta get it out in the right formats and such now, and for what its worth, I still have no clue what key this is in. I used mainly the Bm pentatonic though.

Posted : 19/02/2008 1:59 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just emailed you about the formats Taso. I'm also using Bm pentatonic, but trying to throw in alittle Em pentatonic, and some D major too. We'll see if it works...

Thanks for the update Steve, hope you get your pc problems fixed. I'm having some issues as well. I just got a new pc, and when I record, the sound level of my part is really low, even though I've maxed out the settings for the microphone on my pc & in Audacity. I may have to record with my old pc because I can't seem to fix the problem.

Hope everyone is having fun! :D

Dan

Posted : 19/02/2008 3:32 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Dan, oddly enough, I've been having the same problem. What I did was copy and paste my part into a different audacity window, use the compressor, and then if needed 'amplify'. Umm, but I wanted my part a little quiet anyways.

Posted : 19/02/2008 7:26 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the tip Taso, I'll try that.

Dan

Posted : 19/02/2008 10:39 am
Page 2 / 3