Beginner Blues Jam

42 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
16.3 K Views
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Since I'm pretty much a beginner and don't have a lot of confidence with these online jams Id like to start a beginner online jam for others like me.

So if you would like to participate in one of these jams but are afraid you aren't good enough or haven't been playing that long feel free to jump in with me. I think it will be a lot of fun and give people who haven't been playing that long(like me) an opportunity to jam with others.

I have already picked a track that I think would be a good start for beginners. It is a nice and easy blues track in A. It can be found at http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?showtopic=2421 . You have to sign up to see it but its free an it only takes a few seconds.

I don't know how it should be broken up so if someone with a little more experience would listen to the track and break it up into sections for us that would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am going out of town Monday3/28/05-Friday4/1/05 so I wont be able to reply to a post until I get back. I just wanted to go ahead and post this to spark some interest.

So if your interested please post back. And remember there is no minimal skill level required to participate, open to everyone including extreme beginners.

Shibby

Posted : 27/03/2005 7:16 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

It is a 12 bar pattern...standard blues I IV V sounds like. What I do is listen through, mark down the nearest second to a cycle completion and go from there. I decide if I want everyone to have 1, 2, 3, or whatever cycles and write out the times that the switch is made between the people. Not that tough, you just have to listen to the track a few times.

Posted : 30/03/2005 5:21 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd like to sign up for this. Put me down.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 31/03/2005 7:13 pm
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the help nroberts!!
Okay I have broken the track into 4 sections they are as follows:

Slot # Starting Point
1 Beg
2 1:20
3 2:39
4 3:20

The format for the recording will be 128bit 44.1kHz mp3. Your track will be inserted where your slot begins. So if you have slot 3 I will paste in the beginning of the track at 2:39; even if your track has 20 seconds of silence the 20 seconds of silence will start at 2:39. Once you have finished you can email me your file at [email protected] .

I will take slot 2. Taso what slot would you like?

Also any other beginners or non beginners who would like to participate are welcome.

Shibby

Posted : 02/04/2005 8:00 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

So if you have slot 3 I will paste in the beginning of the track at 2:39; even if your track has 20 seconds of silence the 20 seconds of silence will start at 2:39.

I would probably participate but this knocks me out. For one I don't think this will work out in the mix because timing invariably gets bungled up. Second, I don't even see how I could create such a file that starts at exactly X:XX:00.

Oh well.

Posted : 02/04/2005 9:23 pm
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Do you have any suggestions?

Posted : 02/04/2005 9:44 pm
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Ill take a spot!

Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

Posted : 03/04/2005 4:19 am
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

What spot would you like bstguitarist?

Posted : 03/04/2005 5:26 am
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

im find with slot 3 if you can fit me if not ill take any open one

Thanks
Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Posted : 03/04/2005 2:39 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

You know what Shibby, I'm gonna have to pass on this one. To busy for it this time around. Sorry man, my spots still open.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 03/04/2005 6:03 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

Do you have any suggestions?

It is easiest, in my experience, to have the participants submit tracks that start at the beginning and include the first 2 seconds or so of the backing track (the part that has the stick clapping). That way you can line that up with the bt, get everything sounding good, and then cut the first bit of everyone's track up to where they start playing. It is an almost foolproof method.

It is pretty important to make sure everyone submits w/o the backing track behind their playing. Otherwise you can't adjust levels and the timing is bound to be off by a micro second or two, and this just sounds wierd.

I am going to write up an 'article' on doing these things, when I get the time....

Posted : 03/04/2005 6:22 pm
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Okay that sounds good. But what do you do if there is no clicking at the beginning? Just use the start of the track? And is it okay if I link to your tutorial about this?

Update on spots:

Slot 1 --Open
Slot 2 --Shibby
Slot 3 --bstgutarist
Slo t4 --Open

Shibby

Posted : 03/04/2005 9:47 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

Okay that sounds good. But what do you do if there is no clicking at the beginning? Just use the start of the track? And is it okay if I link to your tutorial about this?

Yeah. I think they have to join guitars101 to look at it. No big deal, that is a great site anyway.

Yes, use what is at the beginning. There should always be something you can go off of. You only run into trouble when the first slot starts at the same time or before the BT.

Posted : 04/04/2005 3:35 am
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Could I move to the first slot? Thanks. and i fyu need help editing the audio I have some experience with some editing programs incase you need help.

Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

Posted : 04/04/2005 12:33 pm
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Okay so the slots are now as like this:

Slot 1 - bstgutarist
Slot 2 - Shibby
Slot 3 - Open
Slot 4 - Open

And lets use the same format nroberts has used for his jam. Here is a link to his turtorial using audacity:
http://www.guitars101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30219 (Thanks nroberts!!)

2 slots are open and all are welcome!!!

Shibby

Posted : 04/04/2005 10:01 pm
Page 1 / 3