Skip to content
Feedback on a colla...

Notifications
Clear all

Feedback on a collaboration idea required...

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm all for it, provided we have jams other than the usual Country and Blues since I don't particular like to play either style.

Posted : 10/02/2007 12:54 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I've been putting some thoughts into this, thinking the drums transitions might a problem.

How 'bout doing it staggered but sequentially?

P1 does D1 and sends it to P2 who does D2 but with the help of D1 with him, (the transition between the 2 D parts might be smoother then) and send D2 only to P3 and keeps D1 and does his B1 part, and on and on.

Does this makes any sense?

We could do this with just the D parts or do it with all the parts.
While it might, and surely will, influence the next player to hear the previous part, the transitions might be a lot smoother that way. But still, no one hears completely what the others before have done.I agree with TTO. The best experiences I've had jamming required musicians feeding off each other, that is influencing each other. Isn't that really the essence of jamming? Of course it's much more easliy done live, but I think you all may be on to something here. It will be interesting to hear what you come up with. Although I must say, even when jamming live there is usually a certain amount of continuity, which I'm not yet convinced you're going to achieve. But it will certainly be interesting.
This was my biggest concern when trying to work out out in my head before I posted. The trouble is the alternatives to just trying to make your piece end with a transition in mind are quite big compromises to the principle, IMHO.

Having a drum-track that eveyone uses means that each part is not done completely from scratch, which is a big part of the attraction to this for me (In this case it also means we'd have too many players for the parts required :wink:)

Sending them staggered would be a bit of a nightmare too, especially when we're just getting to grips with the rest of it. I'm thinking though that at the very least we should drop the mixing done by each person at the last stage... That'll help smooth it over a bit too if the host can do all the mixing on all the parts.

I appreciate the input, but I think we've just got to suck it and see now... Apart from anything else, there's the principle of falsification - If it turns out we do need a constant drumtrack to stop it sounding disjointed, at least we'll know by trying to do it the wrong way :wink:

I'm just about to put together the full post, but it might take a while...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 10/02/2007 12:51 pm
Page 2 / 2