Clear all

Jam Incubator -- Collabo for Beginners

173 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
50.4 K Views
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Here's an update on my technical situation: my wife's laptop came back from warranty service the other day. I can use that if I can bounce the kiddos off it :roll: and I brought my laptop to the shop yesterday, where it will likely stay for a week or two. So I should be able to start getting into that backing track in the next few days. Meanwhile, I put music to another old poem I'd written years ago, and I found a small cassette recorder-so I get to hear what I sound like! I've made tape recordings of the two songs I've written. Interesting results. I like my playing better than my singing :wink:

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

Posted : 11/01/2007 8:10 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Here's an update on my technical situation: my wife's laptop came back from warranty service the other day. I can use that if I can bounce the kiddos off it :roll: and I brought my laptop to the shop yesterday, where it will likely stay for a week or two. So I should be able to start getting into that backing track in the next few days. Meanwhile, I put music to another old poem I'd written years ago, and I found a small cassette recorder-so I get to hear what I sound like! I've made tape recordings of the two songs I've written. Interesting results. I like my playing better than my singing :wink:
Sounds like you're on your way, then.

And we can look forward to hearing those originals over on Hear Here eventually, right? :)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 11/01/2007 8:53 pm
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

And we can look forward to hearing those originals over on Hear Here eventually, right? :)

Margaret

That's the plan. I've actually got a few more lyrics from that era, so there's plenty for me to do :) Time was when we'd put cassettes in the mail to each other. Then again, without the internet, we wouldn't know each other. So I guess it evens out.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

Posted : 13/01/2007 5:48 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

A few Jam Incubator parts are starting to come in, and they are sounding GREAT!!! I'm really enjoying the "task" of mixing, and get excited each time another part hits my email box. :D

Wanted to remind jammers to check out the Stickied thread linked below before submitting your parts:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=275280#275280

Pay special attention to Step 3b of the instructions. That is the high resolution file that will end up in the mix.

The file you create in Step 3b should consist of:

A few seconds of the backing track (BT) which will be used to line up your part with the master; then a chunk of real-time silence (length will vary, depending which segment you have); then your solo (with NO backing track behind it).

If you have questions about completing this process, please post them on the thread linked above, so others reading that thread can benefit from the answers you receive.

When you're ready to submit your part, PM me and I'll give you the email address to send it to.

Happy Jamming!

Margaret

Posted : 13/01/2007 3:44 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Have people finished their pieces already ?

I have not even worked out what I am suppose o be doing yet

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 13/01/2007 7:54 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Have people finished their pieces already ?

I have not even worked out what I am suppose o be doing yet
No problem. Only a couple of folks have turned things in and remember, there is no timeline and no hurry.

The mission of this jam is for people to learn to improvise, record, and collaborate. Some participants have experience improvising but have never recorded before. Others have recorded before but have never improvised over a backing track before. Still others have never done any of those things before. Everyone can work at their own pace.

Incubation takes time.... :D

Margaret

Posted : 13/01/2007 9:21 pm
(@khelbanzon)
Eminent Member

any updates?

http://www.soundclick.com/khelbanzon

Posted : 16/01/2007 2:04 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

any updates?
Only a few parts have been submitted. Some teams have no parts in, and no team has more than two parts in.

Since I am intent on preventing/reducing any perception of pressure in this project, I don't want to be too specific. If a participant knows they are the only team member left to submit their part, they might start feeling pressed or lose confidence. :wink:

Oh, and I am confirming each player's part as they come in, via email or PM, so if anyone sent me a part but didn't hear back from me, it means I didn't receive it.

As soon as any team's parts are all in, I will send it to the members of the team for their approval, and once approved, will post it for everyone to hear.

If anyone is having any questions or problems with figuring out the key or recording their part, I invite you to post it or PM me and we'll get some help.

I'm really excited about this project and hope everyone is having as much fun with it as I have been. :D

Margaret

Posted : 16/01/2007 3:14 pm
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

I'm afraid Margret I may have to pull out of the jam as I cant seem to be able to get recording have audacity & Kristal got a mic connected it up and the sound vanished sound card didn't like it. so now I don't know why or what to do next to get recording so rather than keep you and the team waiting ill bow out till I get this mess sorted and can record it you have any suggestion they will be greatly appreciated
Sorry for wasting your time

Posted : 16/01/2007 3:44 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'm afraid Margret I may have to pull out of the jam as I cant seem to be able to get recording have audacity & Kristal got a mic connected it up and the sound vanished sound card didn't like it. so now I don't know why or what to do next to get recording so rather than keep you and the team waiting ill bow out till I get this mess sorted and can record it you have any suggestion they will be greatly appreciated
Sorry for wasting your time
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, Frank. But we have plenty of time and I'm betting we can get the soundcard problem sorted out. It may be a setting that needs to be changed.

(psssst--I'll let you in on a secret, Frank. No one else on your team has submitted a part yet, either, so no one is waiting on you. :) )

Can anyone help us with this recording problem? It may be that we need to post this on another of the forums, perhaps In the Studio, but let's see....

Margaret

Posted : 16/01/2007 4:53 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am being sluggish getting my part sent. hopefully soon. dont want to let anyone down.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 18/01/2007 8:18 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I am being sluggish getting my part sent. hopefully soon. dont want to let anyone down.
Not to worry. There are only five out of 24 parts in so far.

Margaret

Posted : 18/01/2007 9:59 pm
(@khelbanzon)
Eminent Member

im exited to hear this one.. what if you mix out those who submitted their tracks already and create them as a new team.. 8) in that way, i think others will be inspired more to record their track. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/khelbanzon

Posted : 19/01/2007 4:53 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

im exited to hear this one.. what if you mix out those who submitted their tracks already and create them as a new team.. 8) in that way, i think others will be inspired more to record their track. :D
:lol:
That is a great idea, and one I've kicked around myself.

Nobody is more excited about this project than I am, especially getting to hear the tasty segments sent in already. It's a nice backing track, but I didn't realize just HOW sweet it was until I started hearing what you people are playing in front of it. :D

BUT....I now have six great segments on hand and I'm not inclined to select four out. Patience, Gwasshoppahs. :twisted: Folks are working on their parts--it just takes a little time. I'm sure one team or another will complete their jam soon.

BTW, we may be opening a seventh team.......so if there is anybody out there who was contemplating participating (sounds like rap :shock: ) but didn't sign up yet....let me know.

Margaret

Posted : 19/01/2007 1:54 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I've completed my part for Team 1 and sent to Margaret.

Posted : 21/01/2007 1:20 am
Page 5 / 12