Skip to content
Pink II - the overf...

Notifications
Clear all

Pink II - the overflow (Finished - thanks Boogie!)

108 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
30.7 K Views
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Ahh, ta, will go a fix that now...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 19/02/2007 11:00 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Ahh, ta, will go a fix that now...
Geez! That was quick.
I'm retracting any "procrastinator" thoughts I had about you. :mrgreen:

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

Posted : 19/02/2007 11:03 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Just good timing :)

Posted : 19/02/2007 11:10 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'm starting to really hate Audacity. Its little quirks have been annoying me for some time now, but last night was a real doozy. Last night I thought I'd tinker with a couple of bits that have been bugging me slightly in the mix (I've been in the perfectionist end of my fairly broad spectrum a bit recently) - started off with reducing the backing track volume for the lo-fi intro part (it's mostly fine, but that first strum of the Em chord is really piercing when it's up loud. Duuuh, duh duh duuuuh, OW!. I might even just envelope that one strum as it occurs).

I made the change, listened to it in Audacity and it sounded much better, so I started to export it. Took 30 minutes! (only took 10 last time I did it, and nothing much has changed since. Nothing extra running on the computer either). Put it into Winamp and it had mixed in a copy of the backing track that I had offset and muted in the background. A multitrack application that doesn't understand the concept of muting - real clever. It's never done that before, I specifically tested it when I was first learning Audacity. Oh well, never mind. Deleted that muted track, exported it again. 45 minutes this time (You need 50% more time to deal with 33% less information? Ooookkkaaayyy. No, no, makes sense to me, you're perfectly well programmed :roll:). By that time it was getting late, so I just checked that it had only one backing track, emailed it to work and turned in. I'd already wasted another half an hour or so backing the track up by naming it something different and waiting for it to save... should have just copied the files in explorer. I'd also, the day before, taken a good hour realigning all the tracks to cut down the silence, because for some reason (it's a good 'un, I'm sure), selecting multiple tracks and using the timeshift tool doesn't move the tracks together.

Anyhoo, there's a lull at work, so I've just listened to it now... The part of the backing track that I reduced from -3db(ish) to -6db(ish) is now louder in the MP3. Grrrrrrrr! There are just not enough evil smileys in the world to express my feelings towards Audacity at the moment. :evil: :evil: :evil: :!:

Having tinkered a little with Reaper since KingPatzer made a post extolling its virtues, I can safely say that I'll never start a new project in Audacity ever again... Not only is using multiple instances of windows sound recorder and some quick clicking looking to be a better option than Audacity, but Reaper has completely blown me away. I may even go as far as to export each seperate track of other projects as MP3s so that I can convert them to Reaper, and thus have the pleasure of over-writing Audacity with random text and images on the theme of incompetence. Much more satisfying than just deleting it.

Either all that or I just did something incredibly dim - equally likely, but not as good as a scapegoat in the feel-good stakes. Ah well, vent over, I feel much better :wink:

Posted : 22/02/2007 12:20 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I had some odd situations with Audacity. Nothing like you encountered, but painful nevertheless. After reading some of the other issues with Audacity from folks around GN I looked around and found Repear. I used it for the 30 day trial period, liked it and bought a license. I've never had a spec of trouble with it.

Posted : 22/02/2007 1:14 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Glad it's not just me :)

I'm still in the trial (at least I think I am, it hasn't mentioned anything), but it's a done deal as soon as I get some cash together. That's another story though :wink:

Posted : 22/02/2007 1:42 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

If I may put in my 2cents (or pennys for you over the pond) I would recommend having a look at Mackie's Tracktion software.
Version 3 is about to come out so V2 can be had for a good deal. (I've seen it at $99US on the net)
Still more expensive than Reaper but everything in one, uncluttered screen and very rock solid.
It does whatever one need to do on recording, mixing, mastering, etc...

I'm using v1.6, a free version when Mackie bought the rights for this software.
They had a special that lasted a few days and got lucky to hear about it and snag a copy.
I can't spread it though since it still needs registration and a machine specific code.
But you can get a fully working demo, for a month.

I must say that I tried quite a few other recording software and this Tracktion is THE most easy package to use.
I am saving to buy V3 (will be around $200US)
It comes bundled with a lot of effects and processing plugins.

Read about it here: http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/index.html

I'm not dissing out Reaper, I haven't used it at all but from the screen shots I saw, it seems to be similar to other commercial soft with multiple screens for different tasks, which can become very cumbersome to use, in my experience.
With Tracktion, you get everything you ever need on one screen and then get the plugins interface to popup when needed.
So freaking easy to use.

But of course, YMMV. :)

Posted : 23/02/2007 2:23 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I actually downloaded the demo for that a while back when looking for a nice VSTi host... but I got to Reaper first and so haven't installed it yet :wink: I'll definately give it a go at some point, cheers for the input!

Posted : 23/02/2007 8:31 am
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Are we there yet? (in my best Eddie Murphy voice) :D

Posted : 10/03/2007 7:05 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Hey guys (TheTallCoolOne, Bish & ColoradoFenderBender),

I want to ressurrect and complete this on-line jam for a couple of reasons: 1) I'd like the experience of putting together a jam so if you would not mind sending me your parts (if you've still go them), I'll put it together; 2) I like to finish what I start.

Chime in on the thread or PM me if you are interested in finishing this up.

Here's what we had for for parts before:

Slot 1) 0:00 - 1:19 TheTallCoolOne *COMPLETED*
Slot 2) (Silence; Misanthrope was going to remove)
Slot 3) 1:46 - 2:56 Boogie *COMPLETED*
Slot 4) 2:56 - 4:05 Bish *COMPLETED*
Slot 5) 4:05 - 4:44 ColoradoFenderBender
Slot 6) 4:44 - 5:28 Misanthrope *COMPLETED* - Need a new 'jammer'

ColoradoFenderBender, did you finish your part?

We'll need someone to pick up Misanthrope's section. I don't mind doing it, but I maybe someone else out there wants to participate?

Posted : 14/06/2007 3:38 am
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Well folks... It's about time we finished up this collaboration. Misanthrope has sent me a nearly complete mix of the colloboration we started earlier this year, which sounds really good! We have one open slot, slot 5. Anyone up for helping us finish up this collaboration?

Backing track can be found here: Pink II

Slot 1) 0:00 - 1:19 TheTallCoolOne *COMPLETED*
Slot 2) (Silence, will be removed)
Slot 3) 1:46 - 2:56 Boogie *COMPLETED*
Slot 4) 2:56 - 4:05 Bish *COMPLETED*
Slot 5) 4:05 - 4:44 Available
Slot 6) 4:44 - 5:28 Misanthrope *COMPLETED*

Boogie

Posted : 24/11/2007 8:50 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'll take the open slot Boogie. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/11/2007 9:46 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Thanks Dan... You should have my e-mail address. PM me if you don't.

Posted : 25/11/2007 2:23 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

My part's in the mail Scott. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/11/2007 6:20 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

That was quick! :shock:

Can't wait to hear that last little gap filled in :)

Posted : 25/11/2007 7:48 pm
Page 7 / 8