Clear all

Round-Robin Jam #1 (alpha test!)

47 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
15.8 K Views
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

How do I get this track to TTC? (come to think about it, how about everyone gives their email adress?) And we should now add a bass on the received drum, whatever we want?

edit: a rhythm, weird, but I'll try.

edit: the drums I received are the one before me so I secretly pieced them together. Poor soul who has to the lead for section 4. :D Jim seems to be in luck already though, I think, unless the bass is going extravaganza. I've let my rhythm guitar for section three run out to smoothen the transistion, I think that would probably work best for every section.

edit: I send the mixed on to the next, but should I send you just the guitar track?
I've just sent you a PM with my email addy.

I find it strange too to do rhythm before the bass but what the heck, nothing like a little off balance to steer the creativity.

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

Posted : 12/02/2007 4:36 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

come to think about it, how about everyone gives their email adress?
I've sent an email with all our adresses in to all of us, jsut to make it easy :wink:
I send the mixed on to the next, but should I send you just the guitar track?
I think if we keep all the parts seperate and with some timing clicks it'll be easier for me to get some kind of balance at the end... but by all means mix it as a reference also :)
I find it strange too to do rhythm before the bass but what the heck, nothing like a little off balance to steer the creativity.
Do you usually do bass before rhythm then? To be honest it never even occured to me to do it that way, as I write bassline much the same as I write lead lines :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 12/02/2007 6:33 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Do you usually do bass before rhythm then? To be honest it never even occured to me to do it that way, as I write bassline much the same as I write lead lines :mrgreen:
To be honest, I've never really "composed" a piece with all instruments myself, I always relied on BandInABox for the complete backing track. :oops:
But when I use loops, that's normally how I'd go about it, a drum track then a bass track then the rhythm.
That's maybe why I never really ended up with anything good with loops though. I could never get a good match with bass over drums. I will try it your way and see if it makes more sense.
You might be on to something here. :mrgreen:

Posted : 12/02/2007 9:15 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I like to start with harmony, and the bass note is most important to me. So if I come up with C-E7/B-A-G I would first try to think of a bassline around C-B-A-G. Then I'd think of the top note, which could be, for example, something like G-G#-A-B, and make a melody with that. Then I'll just dump the rest in there one way or the other to get the full harmonies, where needed. In this case I'd probably drone the E-note throughout with the last note being F.

Posted : 12/02/2007 9:20 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When I do all the instruments I do drums - Rhythm - Bass - Lead - Vocals but I am perfectly willing to do it how ever ya'll want to. I might .. no no. I will learn something.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 12/02/2007 9:24 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

You might be on to something here
It's more luck than judgement if I am :wink:

Posted : 12/02/2007 9:25 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

So, now, I got Arjen's track and I gotta do the rhythm on it. (great rack by the way Arjen 8) )
The track key is Am but I can add whatever chords that'll suit the track's key, right?
I mean, I don't have to strum an Am chord all the way thru, no?
I can throw in a b7add9dim13/C? :twisted:

(but if I ever do, you're entitled to slap me with a trout, a few thousand times :? :shock: :o )

Posted : 12/02/2007 9:53 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yep, anything in key :wink:

Posted : 12/02/2007 11:20 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Now it ain't funny anymore. :x
What the heck am I gonna do on that track? :?
It sure is not as easy as simply laying down a drum track. :wink:

Posted : 13/02/2007 1:51 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Doesn't have to be too much... in fact, rhythm's probably the one that needs to be the least busy - the bass will thicken it out a little, and we've gotta leave some room for the lead. :)

Posted : 13/02/2007 8:55 am
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Doesn't have to be too much... in fact, rhythm's probably the one that needs to be the least busy - the bass will thicken it out a little, and we've gotta leave some room for the lead. :)
You're totally tight.
I think I was complicating my life a bit too much, trying to find loops that fit or adapting the ones I thought would be nice.
In the end, I went with a simple funky guitar rhythm.
I guess the one who does the final solo track of his section will fill up whatever holes there might be in the end.

So, if I understand right, I send my take again to Geoo (with the underlying drums) so he can do his bass part on it, right?
And I send you 2 files, the one with the underlying drums and my rhythm take alone (with the leading clicks), still right?
I'm ready to send, I just need to be sure what and who to send it to.

Posted : 14/02/2007 3:05 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Wow, I am feeling really behind. :(

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 14/02/2007 11:42 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So, if I understand right, I send my take again to Geoo (with the underlying drums) so he can do his bass part on it, right?
And I send you 2 files, the one with the underlying drums and my rhythm take alone (with the leading clicks), still right?
I'm ready to send, I just need to be sure what and who to send it to.
Yep, that's it - spot on. I should only need your rhythm part with alignment clicks, but it's probably a good idea to send another copy mixed with drums so I know if I've got it right or not :wink:

Speaking of sending files, Arjen, did you CC me the drumtrack you sent to Tall? I couldn't check email last night and I'm at work now...
Wow, I am feeling really behind.
Don't sweat it, take as long as you need - I'm juggling a bit myself at the mo. Currently taking time out of sleep to get things done at home, and that's before I even think about the guitar :wink: Roll on weekend!

Posted : 14/02/2007 12:34 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Wow, I am feeling really behind. :(

Jim
Don't worry about it Geoo, it's not everyone that's like me and have no life and spend his entire free time in front of the computer. :roll:
Right now, my virtual life is way more active than my normal one. :(
Yep, that's it - spot on. I should only need your rhythm part with alignment clicks, but it's probably a good idea to send another copy mixed with drums so I know if I've got it right or not
Okidookie!
Slingshoting the files out in a sec. :D

Posted : 14/02/2007 9:37 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

All received and slapped into place - sounds great. This thing might just work you know :wink:

One minor point though, that was "section 4, stage 2" (section 4 as in the last section of the song, stage 2 as in rhythm), and you'd labelled it as something else... no problem now, but might cause a few tears before bedtime when it starts getting complicated :mrgreen: Have a look at the little reference chart that I updated the first post with, that should make it clear - and if not, just shout.

Arjen: definately not got your drum track, but might just be my email playing up - can you resend? Ta!

Posted : 15/02/2007 12:05 am
Page 2 / 4