Clear all

2nd post not related -- practice amp?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was inquiring about an amp for a Gretsch but my wife's father's birthday is coming up and she posed a question that I cannot answer. Her father has a MIA Strat. He plays David Gimour, AC/DC, Zepplin, and does like to play blues once in awhile. Her family is looking to get him a nice amp for him. He will not be gigging with it so it doesn't have to be very powerful. What is a very good all around amp for what he plays.??? Thanking you in advance Looking to spend around 350-500.

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

For that price range, and for classic rock/blues I'd recomended a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...But also, you may want to consider getting him an effects pedal of some sort for the harder ACDC sound, although you can probabl get tones like that with the HRD...

Where on Long Island do you live? I'm from Upper Brookville (Oyster Bay)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Would the HRD be considered low power, thats a 40 watt tube amp....man thats gonna be loud! :) What about a Fender Blues Jr. ?

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It can be loud, and it can be quiet...I use it in an apartment building... The blues junior is good, but won't have any overdrive, etc, without turning it very loud.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

40 watts only gets loud if you crank it all the way up. i like amps that sounds good at decent volumes, around 4 or 5, just because you have more room to find a good tone. a 15 watt amp with a 6 inch speaker is probably going to sound like junk side-by-side at the same volume. a big rig does cool stuff as you move into the sweet-spot, volumewise, whereas a tiny one just buzzes more. but then again, i think i'm beginning to lose my hearing, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
i do like the tone marshall got on the old combo amp i had, dirty and clean. but i've also heard good sounds out of a fender.
you might want to get an amp with some built in effects. reverb, delay, fuzz, chorus, maybe auto-wah or some other stuff. he'd probably appreciate that...

ReplyQuote