Clear all

What do you all think ?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I broke my index finger and fractured my middle finger knuckle ..

I bought new strings for my Fender and my cheap acustic and the guy at the shop after some disucssion said he would restring my guitars for the cost of a packet of ciggies for me ...

Well I jumped at the chance as I was wondering how the hell I was going to do this with my left hand just about useless ..

I dropped off the guitars and he told me to come back after work and he would have them done for me ..

I go back after work and he asks if I am interested in selling the Fender ...

Well I really do love this guitar and it looks awesome but this guy is offering me $350 Australian more tan I paid for it ..

He said "Its' georgous and sounds beautiful with the new softer strings .."

He picked up my guitar and finger picked

"If you could read my mind love " a very old song that my wife loves ...

Hearing how this guy could make my guitar sound has me wondering , maybe my guitar deserves someone who can play and not a old hack like me ..

I would not be selling it for the money as money can't buy love , its' a big surprise for me after reading so much bad reviews on Fender acustic/electric guitars ..

Any thoughts guys and gals ???

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Trevor, I have to disagree with the "maybe my guitar deserves better" thing. It is good to have a guitar with potential - it would have been unfair if beginners should start with crappy guitars with bad intonation and poor sound.

The important thing is that you like the guitar - As you may know I have a Fender accoustic myslef, and it is really just right for me. The neck seems to be custom made for my big saussage fingers. I think it sounds good (enough) too - at least since I'm not up for the Martin +$1000 league anyway.

I'd say, if you're used to it and like it, it is worth keeping, especially since you have now heard that it can sound really good. (BTW guitars sound better when you are in front of them and not behind them - maybe your playing sounds better than you think!)

On the other hand - if this is a really good offer and you can go around the corner and buy a similar one + 2 CDs, a new shirt, and free beer for the weekend - why not ;-)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ouch! Hope that heals up soon... how'd you manage that?

Anyhoo, on with the big question: You know how for every model of guitars there are good examples and bad examples? How playability and tone can vary drastically from one to the next? Well, this guy works in a music shop (or even owns it?), so it's safe to say he can get a fairly hefty discount or even trade price for his own guitar purchases... and yet he wants to pay you for yours, and over the odds too. He obviously knows his stuff, so what does that tell you? :wink:

As for it going to a 'worthy' player, are you planning on never improving in your playing? Give me one good reaon why that worthy player can't be you a little further down the track and I'll let you sell it. :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

To me, instruments are like children; giving one up would be like putting them up for adoption. Even if it's for their betterment - as in "Well, I can't take care of you or provide for you like you deserve...."

But they don't understand that reasoning.

Maybe also like a pet; they just know that you're the one who takes care of them and plays them. Being separated from you is...kinda sad.

From another thread recently I got to (finally) see some Roy Buchanan videos. I also looked up and found a picture of Roy's 53 Butterscotch Tele sitting in some shop somewhere.

Here:

And when I see that same guitar being played by Roy, and then see it just sitting there without him, I get this really sad, weird feeling - like it 'misses' him terribly.

Some folk might think that I'm getting way too anthropomorphic and that's fine. It's just that I feel each instrument does have a lot of unspoken personality.

My Carvin AE185 is like that. I got before I knew that my old Les Paul would be returning to me and it fit the dual-humbucker slot really nicely. Beautiful guitar (inline headstock, white with gold, coil taps, etc - looks like a Tele), but I hardly ever play it anymore. The thought came to me that I should sell it to some deserving lefty, but then I realized that it, along with my other instruments, will pass on to other people anyhow when I'm not here anymore, so everybody, including my instruments, can wait till then ;)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I broke my index finger and fractured my middle finger knuckle ..

I bought new strings for my Fender and my cheap acustic and the guy at the shop after some disucssion said he would restring my guitars for the cost of a packet of ciggies for me ...

Well I jumped at the chance as I was wondering how the hell I was going to do this with my left hand just about useless ..

I dropped off the guitars and he told me to come back after work and he would have them done for me ..

I go back after work and he asks if I am interested in selling the Fender ...

Well I really do love this guitar and it looks awesome but this guy is offering me $350 Australian more tan I paid for it ..

He said "Its' georgous and sounds beautiful with the new softer strings .."

He picked up my guitar and finger picked

"If you could read my mind love " a very old song that my wife loves ...

Hearing how this guy could make my guitar sound has me wondering , maybe my guitar deserves someone who can play and not a old hack like me ..

I would not be selling it for the money as money can't buy love , its' a big surprise for me after reading so much bad reviews on Fender acustic/electric guitars ..

Any thoughts guys and gals ???

Trevor
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

You'll regret it

A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

If you hate it, I'd sell it

If you love it, I'd keep it.

Anything inbetween its a toss up. But there is no such thing as a deserving player or undeserving.

NO more breaking fingers. :lol:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

If you have to ask .... then KEEP IT!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Keep it, play it.

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I think that if you're not sure about selling, then you are unsure for a reason :)

Personally, I wouldn't sell my guitar just becasue I was offered good money for it.

About a year ago the guy in my local guitar shop offered to by my Yamaha electric when I took it in for a tune up, and he offered me slightly more than I had paid for it. I didn't go for it because for me, I have memories attached to my guitars as well as liking them for thier playability / look.

So I'd say keep it mate, I get the feeling you'd miss it if it was gone.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I'd keep it if the thought of selling it didn't enter your mind til then. I think you'll regret it. If anything, I'd let that scene inspire me after my fingers got better. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well my doubts have been answered and thanks guys ...

I am thinking I should do as everyone is saying here and when the hand heals I'll do what Pbee said ..

"Keep it Play it "

But I must admit hearing the sound comeing from my guitar that this guy doing made me feel a bit useless as far as playing goes ...

How did I hurt my hand ? Playing cricket went for a dive to catch the ball ...caught the ball ..landed very heavily ...

I have been putting the capo on different frets since my cricketing match and just working on strumming ...

Thanks for the replies everyone ...

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I sold four guitars last year, don't really miss them because they hardly ever got played. The four I've still got, well that's a different matter - I use three of them all the time, Squier Tele, the acoustic I bought off Nick, and a cheap Freshman bass. The fourth I wouldn't part with for the simple reason Marilyn bought it for me when I was guitarless - nothing special, it's an Encore EA225, but it's got quite a nice tone, I use it mainly for slide.

On another note Trev, sorry to hear about the fingers - Eric Clapton was banned from playing cricket by his manager after he broke a finger fielding at slip in a charity match! While those two fingers are out of comission, you might think about buying a slide and trying open tunings - open G's a good one for beginners.

Speedy recovery mate....and don't sell the guitar!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

How did I hurt my hand ? Playing cricket went for a dive to catch the ball ...caught the ball ..landed very heavily ...

Well, I expect thousands would believe you .... :roll:

You gotta keep those valuable hands out of pub brawls Hilch... :P

+1 to keeping the guitar. Now you know how good it can sound you've got another reason to keep moving forward to match it. You've made a lot of progress in the last 12 months. No reason to believe the improvement is suddenly going to stop is there? No of course not. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote