Clear all

3 months of lessons, performance upcoming

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

As some of you are aware, I started taking singing lessons 3 months ago. I thought I'd give a little update and get some advice as well. The advice is needing song suggestions so if you can't sing at all, you can keep reading. lol

So far, the lessons are going really well. We usually start on exercises, singing chords, scales, etc. I can sing lower and higher than when I started. How much further I can't exactly say. My only issue is I find the exercises too easy but I can't dismiss them completely if my range has extended. We've done a lot of songs too. I won't list them but I can sing octaves below or higher. Usually I end up singing an octave higher because I can't sing low enough for the songs I pick.

As for the performance, it's all tenative at this point. It's a company function to raise money for cancer research. It's outside and multiple organizations will be there. We are going to dress as our favourite rock stars (there is a tie in to our company but can't get into details). A lot of us are bring guitars, mostly as props but since I can play I suggested I do a couple songs on the acoustic to draw a crowd to our area.

This is where you guys come in. I need suggestions for songs that work on a single acoustic guitar, aren't difficult to play and sing and would tie into cancer research OR at the least, not related to the them but nothing offensive since it is a work related function. Songs that aren't acoustic are ok if they can be arranged and sound good acoustically. The event is 3 weeks away, so if I don't know the song, I can learn it.

I've decided to do Staind - Outside but that's all I have so far. I've suggested Green Day - Good Riddance as well. my boss is on the fence about that one though.

I appreciate your suggestions.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Does it have to be modern? I only know of one modern, easy to play on acoustic song. Minotaur posted it a few weeks ago. Runaway Train by Soul Asylum. Not cancer related, but I don't think it's offensive.

One big moment in an award show a few years back had Melissa Ethridge, bald due to cancer treatments, playing and singing with Joss Stone. They sang a song or two done by Janis Joplin about 40 years ago. "Piece Of My Heart" was one of them. Maybe "(Me and)Bobby McGee" was the other one? "Piece Of My Heart" is a bit of a pain. Of the open chords, B is my least favorite.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This is where you guys come in. I need suggestions for songs that work on a single acoustic guitar, aren't difficult to play and sing and would tie into cancer research OR at the least, not related to the them but nothing offensive since it is a work related function. Songs that aren't acoustic are ok if they can be arranged and sound good acoustically. The event is 3 weeks away, so if I don't know the song, I can learn it.

I've decided to do Staind - Outside but that's all I have so far. I've suggested Green Day - Good Riddance as well. my boss is on the fence about that one though.

NIN - Hurt. Then go listen to the Johnny Cash cover of it for some arrangement ideas and a word change in the lyric to make it "family-friendly"

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I think, some songs by Pink. However, your Company seems to be very fussy about what you do.

I like "I Don't Believe You"; and "Who Knew" is one upbeat song. The problem with playing Pink at a corporate function, is that she is "pop" and popular, so she sings either dark songs, breakup stuff, or kick it up! That sort of means "screw the establishment".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25YGws-PWIk here's other lyrics, and capo is on the first fret http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCVN-nJ4KXU

Mull that over, check her youtubes, and I will check my notes, because I have written a few thoughts on two positive and beautiful songs for young ladies, and any listening audience - I just have to go and find them. Of course I take into consideration that you don't need a whole band, and can perform them yourself on guitar. 8)

I'll be back, and also... anything that young Connie Talbot (born 2000) sang in Britain's Got Talent 2007, such as "Over The Rainbow" and "I Will Always Love You" and in her subsequent recordings, should be safe & appropriate. :idea:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Returning with "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOzdLwvTHA

Whoa, now we've got something. All of her stuff is good. Whoo hoo! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKU3UuJhIxU

Listen to "Maybe" - if that ain't 'guitar driven' what is? And it is positive.

This might "Be Okay". It's funky and fun, and always positive.... that's Ingrid! It has something to do with ending cancer?
Right, it is about being positive, feeling OK and it implies & is also used as a coping-with-and-overcoming-cancer song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMI8Qu5fsc&feature=related

...and Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDuj-MyVyA Rock it Norah! The people are eating out of her hands.

And Corinne Bailey Rae, on her guitar (with John Legend and John Mayer) - shouldn't be too hard, and it is soooo sweet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJKSseiPXE&feature=related

If you wanna rock, and do this punk style, have a positive female/universal lyric appropriate for the function: Corinne smokes 'em, or pours on the coal profusely with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxPo8Dj24A&feature=related

Good luck in all you do. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Is your company wanting something upbeat for the cancer charity event? How about the old Monkees song I'm A Believer? It's a pretty easy song acoustically. It was also covered more recently by Smash Mouth and used in a Shrek movie so most people should know it.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Innocent - Fuel...killer song

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Doesnt have to be positive just not offensive. Doesnt need song with female singer either.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Something by Melissa Etheridge might work, and since she fought cancer, it should tie in nicely.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Tori Amos - she has a lot of cool songs although they tend to be piano oriented you might find a few that would work nice on acoustic.

Oh yea I forgot anything by L'il Wayne he's a guitar player now! HA

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Go for Stand By Me version by John Lennon.

I did a cover of it on youtube and all my songs are single guitar and me singing. Its a great song for a group setting.

Good Luck for your upcoming performance... 8)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the limited postage. Went on vacation and had limited internet access. Anyway, haven't had time to listen to them all but Hurt and Stand By Me caught my eye/ear instantly. The latter of the two people could sing along too and I think I have the chords somewhere.

Bit of clarification on what songs I need. Basically if it can be said on prime time TV it should be ok. If you aren't sure, post it anyway. It might be appropriate. If all else fails, I may go with the "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" approach. It's worked for me before where I work.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

there's a lou reed album. magic and loss. he wrote it after he lost a friend to cancer. i'm not sure if you'd want to sing any of them, but it's a great album.
there's also a song called "cancer" by my chemical romance. it's horrible.

i'd go with the singalongs like stand by me. hopeful stuff like that should go over the best.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Good news and even better news!

The good news is I have been given the go ahead to play at the event. The even better news is they don't have an approved list of songs. I can just bring the guitar and play. It's a mistake on their part giving me free reign like that but I'm not about to let this opportunity slide. Also one of my colleagues is going to bring her guitar as well. So this expands the songs we can do with an additional guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

That's cool.

Is there going to be a recording of your performance. We'll love to see you play.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2