Skip to content
Should They? Will t...

Notifications
Clear all

Should They? Will they? Sobriety? More Stones Stuff?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, the Rolling Stones are starting their ritual of pointing fingers at others, waiting for agreements. Keith has supposedly said that he's got some ideas and is waiting on a meeting with Mick next week to see if he "wants" to do another album. Also hints of a 2011 tour.

First thing's first. They are a premier brand and do market themselves wonderfully. They build up hype and anticipation like very few can. This would be about the time they would do it. Doing the 'Exile re-release is putting their faces on the pages and televisions. Getting good face time and being embraced as they are might appeal to their ego for another go?

Ronnie's supposedly sober again. I've read that the Stones have told him to get sober or he won't go on another tour.

Charlie's not retiring as indicated earlier this month on some web sites. Keith wants to, and Mick would really have to NOT want to do at least an album and a possible subsequent tour to give up the big bugs they would surely get.

So you fellow Stones fans, they gonna do their 30th studio album? Are they gonna get my $15 by the end of the year? Is this all rhetoric and babble that they are also certainly capable of being in the middle of without even trying.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Old cynic that I am, I'm willing to bet they've already got at least enough material for a double album; I'm also willing to bet that "hints of a tour" means it's already in the advanced planning stages. Now watch for a few carefully placed rumours to add fuel to the hype, sorry, I meant fire!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

One can only hope not!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic, they sure have sat on material in the past. I might be standard procedure for all I know. What's funny to me is that each album they've done for 20 years has been their best since Tattoo You. The critics either use that line of the "time to retire" line. Regardless, Tattoo You had 5 or 6 songs leftover from previous album sessions, some of which the critics panned. (Emotional Rescue being one of them) No reason a new album would not do the same.

Don Was gets called in to remaster 'Exile and see if he can come up with an album worth of material. I guess he had access to a ton of tape and all he could come up with was 7 new songs, two alternate cuts of 'Exile songs and a not even 2 minute instrumental? I think I share your sentiment, Vic. Was this a teaser for things to come? A test, perhaps?

Well, I don't think anything the stones do is going to land them on any American Top-40 Pop Singles type list. However you have to go way, way back to 1967 to find a studio album that didn't go platinum in the U.S. for them. Whatever they do is going to have some success.

I thought it funny to realize that it's been 5 years since the last album and that it was their only new effort in the past 13 years. They've reflected current industry trends in that the real money is in touring. They've been working, that's for sure.

I hope that whatever does come out is done in classic Stones fashion, that being something big. Bigger Bang had 16 songs. Maybe some big massive collection of good un-released material and another 12-16 new ones. I'm not suggesting that they go out, but reality has to be checked. Four of them left, All of them addicted to something at one time or another. One Cancer survivor amongst them too. I don't think any of them is ripe and primed for old age. Well, maybe Mick. Still, if they released another ordinary studio album like "A Bigger Bang", I might be disappointed if it wasn't something big in typical Stones fashion.

And for those who think they can't because they're a little long in the tooth, I saw an act at the Bottom Line in NYC about 13 years ago that featured 1/2 dozen fiddles, a big standup bass and piano. The youngest one was 78, and they tore the house down. I'm merely suggesting that all the stuff they've taken, done, injested, etc, has got to take it's toll on someone?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote