Clear all

A Familiar Tale of Bad GAS

31 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Some months ago I was also reading and playing those guitars. I started to play some jazz-like tunes and I thought I needed a new hollow or a semi-hollow guitar. I suffered that same GAS. I thought I overcame it...

Roy, I hate you! :lol:

Almost the same guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWt7cqHiAEI

(Warning: Don't watch the videos of this guy...)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Actually Crow I think that's the problem moments like this come around alot for Roy...
Bingo!!!!

I actually tried my own 12-step program. Step #1 was to admit that I am indeed an addicted guitar hobbyist and collector of low to mid-priced guitars. I did that, and I tell you what. It worked. I feel great about my plight in life now. I am at toal peace. I might even go get it this morning. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think you would look good with that guitar Roy. :mrgreen:
Well, it would cover up my belly. :oops:
Roy, I hate you!
I usually don't get that from dudes. Not in my younger days, at least. :P

Nuno, that guy had some pretty good tone. Thanks for sharing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Alas, they sold it this morning. :cry:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Alas, they sold it this morning. :cry:

Bummer Roy!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

:(

Roy, don't worry. When I bought my acoustic, they also sold the guitar I had selected some hours before I was to the store. It did I feel really bad but it gave me more time to make a better decision. (In fact yesterday I had a similar issue with a set of watercolors... I have the same problem repeatedly... I am very slow for taking decisions...)

There was a good deal but you will find other good deals! :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

One more day.....MF had better send me a good one. :mrgreen:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

So we placed the order Mr. Parker? :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's supposed to be here tomorrow. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It's supposed to be here tomorrow. :)

Ah... we all love a good ending. :) Looking forward to seeing pictures of the happy couple - Roy and new friend.. :mrgreen: :note1: :note2:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's in Raleigh, probably either 10 minutes from my house or 30 minutes from my house, depending on which center. It's 4:00 AM locally, so that means either by noon - 8 hours - or by 6:00 PM - 14 hours. I really don't know which trucks this type of delivery makes. Regardless, I should have some nice QT with it by tonight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well? Is it here? How is it? The tension is killing me ....... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Looks like someone's spending some quality time with a new toy and is too busy having fun to post....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I arrived fairly late in the afternoon, but she's here. No sooner did I unpack her did I have to start dinner. I finally got to spend the needed time with her, you know, to consumate things. That's right. I mounted new strings on her. Now that that's done and another through inspecion was performed, I need to either take care of or wait for the following items.

#1: The low e side is a bit high, but at the saddle. No nut shaving for me. Um, on to item number 2.
#2: This is being nitty and happened with an Epiphone SG I had years ago. 3 out of four POT knobs were not aligned straight on.
#3: I need to do intonation, but no one string is major. One was a good bit off, but the string change took care of most of it. I'll give it a day or two, let things settle and then do it adter I adjust the saddle height.
#4: The tuners work and all, but they seem a bit cheesy to me. At least the posts do. Everything works fine, so it's reallt a none-issue for now.
#5: The Epiphone emblem was never put on the pick guard. Seeing how this is the very first guitar I ever bought soley on looks, I want my funny lookinf "E" emblem. I called and am waiting on their parts department to email me.

It plays fine, even with the string height a bit too high even for my taste. It is a little awkward not having a place in the string string zone that doesn't have an opening for the pick, but how deep are you supposed to go anyhow? right.

The Bigsby Licensed vrbrato system works OK so far. This is a Bigsby. Don't be trying no dive bombs and expecting it to stay in tune that well. What it does do well is basic vibrato, and it does it very, very well.

Next up is the issue some people have that it sounds too dark or deep. I did not have this problem with mine. I don't have the tone cranked to 10 or anything like that. I just played a few bits of higher pitched tone songs, like "Heart of Stone" by the Stones and "crazy litle Thing Called Love" by Queen. Nutting wrong with either. One of them was even on 1/2 neck and 1/2 middle pickup. No bridge at all on those two. Epiphone must have changed their pickups or my ears must be doing their thing again. Probably a combination of both.

a few jazzy type chords....no problems. The patch I was using has a bit of grit to it, but no overdrive or anything. I'll have to try it out with some gain or an overdrive to check that part out. I don't expect any problems.

The finish and all was just fine. The nut does not need cutting. No buzzing or rattling or anything. All in all pretty good. I am POd about my emblem, though, and hope they take care of it. I'll post pics when I get it, and post clips when I get the intonation going on properly and the string height adjusted.

So that's it. The good an the bad. I love it. It looks great and sounds great. Plays almost great. I just gotta adjust string height and slight intonation adjustments. It's a lot of guitar for the money. I hope some of the components don't let me down.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

So it sounds pretty good then. Too bad about the emblem. They should make that good for you. As far as the tuners go, the pic makes them look to be vintage style. Might explain any short comings there. Sounds like a beautiful guitar. Very cool Roy! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Roy!

I'll waiting for the pictures and clips.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3