11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
13.2 K Views
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So...I played bass for a few years, in high school. Which wasn't recent.

But over more recent years, there's sometimes been one around when jamming with friends, and I always like to have a go on it, though I more often play guitar. I find, though, that learning bass and guitar parts to the same song is really good for my theory, and good fun, too. I feel like I've really improved on guitar and bass by playing some of both...

...but I haven't got a bass! And then a local band I really like was looking for a bass player, and I think I might be able to play their stuff. In any case, I've been in touch with them, and they're willing to try me out in a bit when I've had time to learn some of their songs...

So what I really want is a midrange ($200-$400) bass, four strings, preferably versatile but primarily for metal.

If you were me, what would you be trying out?

Best,
Ande

PS- and any advice on playing bass for melodic metal is, of course, appreciated!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I am very happy with my Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass and it is in that price range. Almost no experience with Precision basses but perhaps the tone could be more appropriate for metal.

When I bought my bass I also liked the Yamaha BB414, also in that price range. The Yamaha has a Precision pickup in the middle and a Jazz pickup in the bridge.

IMHO the three basses are cheap, good and versatile.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Just bought my son one for Christmas and without a doubt in the price range you describe an Ibanez SR300.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR300-Bass-Guitar?sku=517405

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is a good bass as well. Those Ibanez have success between beginners. I also check it out when I bought my bass and the frets and fretboard finish weren't so good (the metal parts were longer/wider than the fretboard), at least in the basses I played. Be careful if you buy online.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

This is true, the fret ends are a little rough. Nothing bad, I offered to fix it on my son's and he says it is just fine. The bass however, is light, fast and due to active pickups very flexable tonewise. The neck is multipiece and very slim. The action is as low as if it were a guitar. Many positives but yes, Nuno is correct about the fret edges. They are not slice you open sharp but could be finished better. This is the only shortcoming though. Other than that it is as good as his Tobias.

ReplyQuote
 DT3
(@dt3)

You may want to check out Schecter. They make some nice low to mid line instruments that are very suited for metal. You'd be looking somewhere between $300-400. They play nice and cut through very well. Whatever you decide, active pickups will most likely be best.

good luck
d

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Guys!

I've been to Nakwon market (here in Seoul where I'm currently located) and have had a GREAT time. I've played the Ibanez from your picture, TRG. It rocks. It rocks very hard.

There are a couple of Corts in the same price range that are very very similar to the Ibanez, and maybe a little better finished. (fret ends smoother, paint job better.) Honestly the sound is too close for me to call. $50 more, give or take.

I've also tried out the Cort EVL series, which is a little more expensive, though it certainly has the metal look, as do some schecters.

Really interestingly, I've seen a couple of local brands that don't seem to make it overseas. So I'm...still deciding. I think I have to go back and play them all again today. :-)

Thanks for all your input- Can I add another question? When I get this thing, I'm gonna have to amplify it...looking for a bass practice amp. Doesn't ahve to be too loud, as I'm in an apartment building. I'm currently using a borrowed squier, but with no amp, it's hard to tell what's happening.

(By the way- ideally I'll be doing this with the bass and amp together (audition coming up): http://www.myspace.com/terrormight

Even if I don't get into the band, I'm really enjoing the way playing bass and guitar both sort of feed off each other. Really feel like it's helping me grow as a musician...

thansk again,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I bought a Marshall MB-30 but I usually play it unplugged or with a Pandora and headphones.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think there are a lot of good bass practice amps out there. My son has a Hartke that sounds really nice although was a little higher end for such a small practice amp. If I might suggest, something more moderate sized for a practice amp like what Nuno has. The 10" speaker is great for bass and the 30 watts are good for an apartment but if you want to use it to play with others it can pump out some sound.

So you saw what I meant about that Ibanez bass then. Incredable sound and versatile. It's a shame that they didn't take the time to finish the frets better on such a beautiful 5 piece laminate neck. Might also say it's a shame they put such an offensively colored body on such a beautiful neck too. :lol: All I know is my son loves it rough fret ends and all. There must be a lot of choices over there since so many guitars are manufactured in Korea.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

BTW I was in my usual guitar store (it was the first time in many months). The salesman is a good friend. He was asking about the bass, if I kept playing it, etc. And he told me "I'd prefer the Ibanez but you finally decided on the Squier." So, TR and my friend share the same opinion. :wink:

Ande, I forgot to tell you I also am in an apartment building.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Audition: Sunday! I still have a borrowed bass to get through the audition, but if it goes well, I'll be buying the Ibanez to celebrate. Turns out that they have a bass amp in their rehearsal space, and a PA system where they gig, so I won't need a performance amp, just something for the house.

Didn't like the color, TR? The one I've seen/played is what I guess is called "Iron Pewter" on the website. In person, it looks more like what I'd call "black." Which is the ideal color for a bass, imo.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote