31 Users
0 Likes
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Wow cool topic,

Theme music would be airwolf man that show was the coolest :D
No single

1st album i ever bought was "meatloaf - welcome to the neighbourhood"

I've lost that album since but i'd like to get my hands on a copy again it was good stuff.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Radio Luxembourg - I'd forgotten all about it! Used to listen till the sun was coming up some nights, on my old Perdio transistor radio by the bed ... and those early Night Ride shows - truly John Peel was the finest DJ ever to grace the turntables 8) 8) 8)

Me too - I think we ALL listened to Radio Luxembourg like that as teenagers; after lights out, shining a torch on the tuning dial cos you had to get it just right. And the signal used to fade in and out. Man, the revelation when I found Radio Caroline - just up the dial from Radio 1 and a decent signal from the Radio Ship "Mi Amigo"; and if anybody knows how to get Caroline without a Sky digibox these days post it here, or pm me, or e-mail me.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Here you go everybody ,

For all those who have not had any Flowerpot Men in your lives please click on the link and read all about this wonderful childrens show that was first shown in England during the 1950's right up tp the 1970's .

They don't make childrens shows like this anymore :

http://www.tvacres.com/plants_flowers_flowerpot.htm

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Vic Lewis wrote:
Inspired by Nick's "age check" post.....

1 - what TV theme(s) do you remember from when you were a kid?

2 - what's the first single you bought?

3 - what's the first album you bought?

TV themes - definitely Bonanza is #1. I wanted to marry Little Joe and my sister wanted to marry Hoss.

1st 45 rpm I bought was either American Pie- Don McLean or Sunshine Go Away Today-Jonathan Edwards ? Took the Harmony guitar to school and tried to play along with American Pie in front of my entire gradeschool class-- had to stop playing to flip the record halfway through the song. Gave up trying to play guitar for 30 years after that. :oops:

1st album - can't remember at this moment. Got a job and built a collection in a short time period :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

All this mention of the BBC has made another little tidbit float up from the past.

See my dad had been one of those kids (back in the 20s and 30s) who did the whole crystal radio thing; buying them, taking them apart to see what made them tick, putting them back together, build them, which led to a lifelong interest in radio. Big 'boy's hobby' back then, along with all the little pocket adventure novellas and mystery suspense radio show ("Only the Shadow knows! Hahahhahhhaaa!), which led to him to, when his buddies and he decided to get their 'military hitch', joining the Army in '40.

And then the War, by which time he was a Signal Corps member in the Army, which took him to Hawaii.

Which led to him meeting my mom there, getting married, having 2 kids (one of which was me), and settling down. He was from New York originally.

But this led to his getting back into amatuer radio, his first love, and him inviting me to listen one night as he scrubbed the dial, trying to find what he could find. It was a big old receiver with all these different bands you could select, and though he was a Morse guy (I mean he could key his butt off!) and would sometimes talk that way with other HAMS all over the place, he could also just listen to stuff. Symphonic music from Berlin, guys talking in Hindi, the Sputnik bleeping away, that kind of thing. And because all the signals were pretty weak and soft, the room would become dead silent as you tried to listen. Almost like the stillness and hush you get when you hear a noise in the other room and stop to really listen. Or...like eavesdropping. You're hearing this voice or song from thousands and thousands of miles away, and well, it was pretty mystical in a way. Like you're listening in secret to the whole world.

I guess I understand his fascination with it back in the 30s!

And one of the things I remember, this was back in '64 or so, was the news or something coming from England's BBC.

And because of the distance, it had that weird sort of drifting, floating sound; like it was being blown in on the wind. My dad tried to explain it to me, about the radio waves reflecting and some of it getting 'here to Hawaii' a little bit after the rest and that's why it sounded like that. Mentally, I called it "The BBC Sound."

Which led to my thinking, a few years later upon hearing a friend play his guitar through an MXR Phase 90 when they first came out, "Hey, that's the BBC Sound!"

Funny how things just sorta lead together in unexpected ways.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Just thought of a couple more of my childhood shows we watched

Andy Pandy

The Magical Merry -Go-Round

Smokey the Bear

and we used sneak out to the T V room after mum went to her room and watch Monty Phython's Flying Circus . ( it used to come on about 10.30 pm Tuesday nights on the ABC in Australia .

There was another one but can't remember the name it had an old strange fellow living in the garden and had a pet toad . Vic ? do you know it ? :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There was another one but can't remember the name it had an old strange fellow living in the garden and had a pet toad . Vic ? do you know it ? :lol:

That would have been Catweazle - the wizard who'd travelled forwards in time from the Norman conquest to the 1960's.

Humourous diversion - when my cousin got engaged, my uncle wasn't really over keen on her choice of long-term partner. "Looks like Catweazle" he said.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

TV theme: Ballad of Jed Clampet-1963
First single: Alice Long ( Your still my Favorite Girlfriend) by Boyce and Hart - 1967
First LP: The Animals, Meet the Beatles, and Magical Mystery Tour--I got them at the same time in- 1970

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4