Clear all

Amp GAS????

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have GAS (I think), but it's not the guitar. I'm quite happy with the Firebird and SD pickups (for now) and thought I was happy with my Vox AD30VT amp after upgrading from the DA5. Until my last lesson, playing through my teacher's Mesa Boogie Studio last week. We were exploring what seems to be my favorite style/sound, classic rock with Thin Lizzy and BTO songs. I noticed a much more "authentic" sound (Marshall from what I've read), and saw this session he had a reverb dialed in. I tried, and can't seem to duplicate or get close to this sound. I ordered an Eminence Rajin' Cajun replacement speaker, but after reading this weekend am convinced nothing but all tube will do. I was intrigued by the Blackheart Little Giant Combo, but really like the description of the Peavey Windsor combo; the "Power Soak" option seems to do what my Vox does (and I love), allow the overall volume cut while retaining overdrive feel and sound from the tubes - or in my case, tube.

Would the Windsor be a good choice for classic rock? The temptation of being able to change tubes for different sounds without rebiasing is exciting, and very tempting!

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes! Actually, I have been eyeing the Windsor Studio for months now. If you go to YouTube you can find a few sound-clips. The Windsor Studio gets a very authentic Marshall tone without breaking the bank. And 20 watts is excellent, it could be used for gigs, you would be able to crank it to volume, this is where tube amps really sound great. You really don't need to turn the preamp Gain up high, keep it a little lower but crank the amp to volume to get natural tube overdrive. The WS is also very versatile, you can get nice cleans, great crunch, and full out tube saturation.

But I a biased, I want this amp myself. If business picks up and I start getting regular overtime again, this is FIRST on my list. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Excellent! I know the Windsor (and the Vox) are voiced for the British sound and wasn't quite sure it would do "classic rock". I know I have more reading and listening to do but I felt I had a breakthrough in defining what I want to hear when I play. Since I have a little wiggle room with a trade-in now is the time to act.

Good luck Wes; if things work as plan you'll hear from me Tuesday evening (GC has one in stock, audition goes well, trade in value, planets align, etc.) I have Tuesday off so this is the perfect time to act :)

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yes! Actually, I have been eyeing the Windsor Studio for months now. If you go to YouTube you can find a few sound-clips. The Windsor Studio gets a very authentic Marshall tone without breaking the bank. And 20 watts is excellent, it could be used for gigs, you would be able to crank it to volume, this is where tube amps really sound great. You really don't need to turn the preamp Gain up high, keep it a little lower but crank the amp to volume to get natural tube overdrive. The WS is also very versatile, you can get nice cleans, great crunch, and full out tube saturation.

But I a biased, I want this amp myself. If business picks up and I start getting regular overtime again, this is FIRST on my list. :D

Also curious, do you have a particular configuration in mind when (positive thinking) you pick one up? (tube selection)

What's your opinion of the stock speaker?

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Then it would be AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome) !

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Also, check out the Traynor YCV-40. All tube, made in Canada.

Wes, when are you NOT interested in new gear?

I believe it is GEAR Acquisition Syndrome (not "Guitar") so it would apply to amps as well!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Then it would be AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome) !
Didn't want to go there :lol:

Doesn't look like the stars are aligning - no one has them locally! :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, as feared this did not go as planned; GC had none of the amps I was interested in stocked. The Dali seemed to be right on the mark with the Traynor as reviews were great, just not available. I did manage to play through a Peavey Valveking 112 combo and learned:

• 30 watts all tube is very LOUD - I'd be homeless after trying to play this in the house. I definitely need a lower wattage amp for practice, or at least adjustable.
  • A Gibson SG sounds a lot like my Epi Firebird with SD pickups, but the frets felt like speed bumps in comparison to the Firebird :shock:
  • I REALLY want the all tube amp now!
  • Not letting lust get the best of me, I wen home empty handed (tried to get some stainless steel strings but they had NONE). After lunch I thought I heard a truck outside but dismissed it as my Eminence speaker wasn't due until Thursday :cry: . About an hour later I looked outside for laughs, lo and behold it was on the porch. Apparently UPS doesn't ring the doorbell anymore. Using any excuse to take things apart, I took all the screws I saw out of the Vox amp to replace the speaker and found only the back screws were necessary. Couldn't ask for an easier upgrade, and I was checking the sound about ten minutes later. The Rajin' Cajun does what I hoped it would do, takes the shrill and fuzzy distortion and smooths it out nicely. Cranking the gain and volume to max is no longer painful, and may be good enough to put my Blues Driver on the auction block. Much happier with the sound from the amp now, and it should hold me until I run into a true valve model we can live with. :D

ReplyQuote
    (@sin-city-sid)
    Prominent Member

Well Bman, that Valveking is 50w RMS which means 50w clean. The amp will probably push 75w. Yeah I own one but right now i'm peved at PV. I sent my VK112 in 10 weeks ago for a bad input jack. It is still sitting in there shop. I taked to someone and was nice enough and walk back and find the amp, he said it was next in the shop. That was Last week. I called them up Friday, talked to the same dude and told him to just keep the amp and send a VK100 or a classic 30 and I would buy a cab from them. Nice people to talk to, very friendly and I honestly fell that they care but dang, I hate being lied too.

Dude said will be shipped out Monday.

Hey guys I'm going to do a attenuator build much like the Weber units. I post the build up when I'm done.

ReplyQuote
    (@bmancv-60)
    Estimable Member
    Topic starter  

Well Bman, that Valveking is 50w RMS which means 50w clean. The amp will probably push 75w. Yeah I own one but right now i'm peved at PV. I sent my VK112 in 10 weeks ago for a bad input jack. It is still sitting in there shop. I taked to someone and was nice enough and walk back and find the amp, he said it was next in the shop. That was Last week. I called them up Friday, talked to the same dude and told him to just keep the amp and send a VK100 or a classic 30 and I would buy a cab from them. Nice people to talk to, very friendly and I honestly fell that they care but dang, I hate being lied too.

Dude said will be shipped out Monday.

Hey guys I'm going to do a attenuator build much like the Weber units. I post the build up when I'm done.

Sid, how did this work out?

Ok, had to give in to the GAS; just sold the Vox and will order the Windsor very soon :D

ReplyQuote