Notifications
Clear all

An Interesting Invitation

37 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Sounds like it turned out to be a great night Roy!

Will you get to go to another rehearsal in the future some time?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The nice thing about playing your own songs is at least you know you aren't going to write something you can't play.. :lol:

Don't bet on it . . . if you hear a riff in your head that you just HAVE to use it can take some time to learn how to play what your mind's ear hears.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Will you get to go to another rehearsal in the future some time?
I was informed today that I was always welcome. That was nice of them, and I'll certainly take them up on that once in a while. I don't want to wear out my welcome. :wink:
Don't bet on it . . . if you hear a riff in your head that you just HAVE to use it can take some time to learn how to play what your mind's ear hears.
This one I would not have been able to play at speed as recently as last Autumn. (going in and out of barre chords)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Good for you, Roy! I'm glad it was a good night. And with all you have been through with health stuff and continuing to plug away at guitar, you deserve a night like that!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

That's a brilliant story. Well done :D

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds like a great time, Roy! That's very cool that they dug your stuff. It's nice to get a little external validation sometimes.
The nice thing about playing your own songs is at least you know you aren't going to write something you can't play.. :lol:

I do it all the time. I can hear an arrangement in my head, but can't get it to come out of the guitar the way I hear it. I got very frustrated yesterday working on a song and finally got a good enough take for a rough demo, but it's not how I want it to sound.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Fantastic story Roy. Great that it panned out so well :mrgreen:

Also interesting was the calm that they had in their hands and arms. They were even calm on passages that looked like they would be tough as heck. I have to admit to some, um, let's call it constructive jealousy.
"Calm" - what a good way to put it. In my experience, the better you get the more relaxed and natural it feels and sounds. Playing without unhelpful tension in your body seems like a big part of moving forward. I can't claim to have achieved "calm" yet ("getting more laid back about bum notes" doesn't quite cut it....) but it sounds like a good goal to keep in mind.

The experience with your song sounds like an absolute joy. What an admirable bunch of guys. :D
Yeah, I am paying the price, but not as bad as I was afraid it would be. I've had worse. I'll do it again, given the opportunity. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good to hear that the cost isn't as high as you feared, but the glow of the memory of a good night will last a lot longer than the temporary discomfort.

Hope you do get to go again sometime.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3