Clear all

Any one watching Rockstar: Supernova?

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been pretty impressed with Dilana....in a scary way :)

Here is the first song she did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5rL2spNJjc

She even did a version of Ring of Fire.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Scott,

I intended to follow the program, but I just don't pay much attention to tv so I always miss out.

Dilana definitely has a stage presence about her. Does she have much of a range of style or is she fairly one-dimensional?

Is there anyone else notable?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hmmmm, range, well this is tough for me to answer from the songs they gave a preview of the band is gonna have a classic rock feel to it so I'm not sure how much range is needed. So far she has done:

Lithium- Nirvana

Zombie- Cranberries

Ring of Fire- Cash

Time after Time- Cyndi Lauper

Can't get Enough- Bad Company

Won't Get Fooled Again- The Who

That covers a few diff styles, and she nailed all of them, the band liked everything she did.

The closest rival is prolly a guy named Lukas, but he is in the Creed type vocal style and and never strays far from that. The other guy I like on the show is from Iceland named Magni, he has a strong voice.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Did either of you watch the other series when they picked the new lead singer for INXS?

I really felt like they picked the wrong guy on that one. I thought Mig had a lot more verve and style about him than the guy they picked, who was ok, but a bit forgettable.

I wondered if Mig already had received a better offer before the show ended, and had advised them of such so they offered it to the second best knowing they couldn't have Mig.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@malcolm-edge)

For INXS Mig was actually Third. And he has dropped off the map.

The guy they chose is J.D. Fortune. And he has what INXS was looking for, a bluesy and rough voice.

For the new Rockstar, I'd say Dilana is in first right now. But she is being tailed by Magni and Lukas. That is the final three, Lukas will be 3 and they will either pick Magni for his experiance on stage and in the studio. Or Dilana for the shere publicity for a woman fronting this band.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Malcolm--Edge wrote: For INXS Mig was actually Third
Yes, you're right. I forgot about the Marty guy. It came down to him and JD, didn't it? Marty was pretty cool, too.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I watch the show. Not a huge Dilana or Lukas fan. I like rough voices but their looks and something about them turns me off. Just because Dilana performed music from different styles doesn't mean she is not one-dimensional. As far as I see it performed them all in a similar manner. She showed the most versatility when she sang Lauper's 'Time After Time.' I personally like Storm especially since the band said they wanted to still do hard rock but with more of a pop/mainstream vibe. This week they sent home the two best voices but that is ok because neither were right for the band.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thats kinda why I said it was hard for me to answer the "range" question...I really don't believe in it as far as rock bands ar concerned.

Does Mick Jagger have a ton of range?
Ozzy?
David Gilmore?
Bon Scott?

I could list more but I just woke up :)

I don't think you need great range to front a rock band..this isn't American Idol, a rock singer needs a strong voice with endurance so you can do it every night.
I think its ok to be a little limited in your range as long as you rock the house within those limitations.

Stage presence is so important too, only a couple of the singers on that show have the attitude to front a rock band...you have to be credible in that way or it just is'nt gonna work, so imho I'd pick somone with a good strong voice and a ton of confidence and attitude over someone with a great voice and range any day.

I grew up listening to Dylan, I'd take that anyday over Celine Dion...but she does have a prettier voice ;)

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Thats kinda why I said it was hard for me to answer the "range" question...I really don't believe in it as far as rock bands ar concerned.

Does Mick Jagger have a ton of range?
Ozzy?
David Gilmore?
Bon Scott?

I could list more but I just woke up :)

I don't think you need great range to front a rock band..this isn't American Idol, a rock singer needs a strong voice with endurance so you can do it every night.
I think its ok to be a little limited in your range as long as you rock the house within those limitations.

Stage presence is so important too, only a couple of the singers on that show have the attitude to front a rock band...you have to be credible in that way or it just is'nt gonna work, so imho I'd pick somone with a good strong voice and a ton of confidence and attitude over someone with a great voice and range any day.

I grew up listening to Dylan, I'd take that anyday over Celine Dion...but she does have a prettier voice ;)

Scott
Was this directed at me? I wasn't talking about Dilana's physical vocal range or stage pressence but her versatility. I agree with Josh and Jill going despite their great pipes. Zayra and Patrice should have gone first, but order doesn't matter because they aren't goint to make the band. I agree with everything you just said and that is why I like Storm - she is the best overall package, IMHO.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you're right. I forgot about the Marty guy. It came down to him and JD, didn't it? Marty was pretty cool, too.

Margaret

Marty's a local here - and he's sure not letting anyone forget how he did.

My wife really got into the first season. I watched a couple, but I'm not a TV person.

I figure by next year it'll be trying to find a new lead singer for the tribute band of the cover band that did that you know, thing everybody knew.

But then I once jammed with Lawrence Gonsky. So I know what that gig's like already :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

purple,

No it wasn't directed at you I was just addressing the whole "range" topic, I think people look at this show in a similar way they look at Idol sometimes.

I think range is much less important on this show, confidence and attitude are gonna play a bigger roll because your joining a band, and your new band mates have BIG egos and are gonna over shadow you.

Whoever wins this gig is gonna have to be taken seriously by those guys....most of the people on that show don't have the personality for that.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

purple,

No it wasn't directed at you I was just addressing the whole "range" topic, I think people look at this show in a similar way they look at Idol sometimes.

I think range is much less important on this show, confidence and attitude are gonna play a bigger roll because your joining a band, and your new band mates have BIG egos and are gonna over shadow you.

Whoever wins this gig is gonna have to be taken seriously by those guys....most of the people on that show don't have the personality for that.

Scott
It certainly isn't American Idol - these people can actually sing even if for the most part they have a smaller range than some of the Idol contestants. I agree that whoever wins needs to be a very strong person, not just on stage, to take on those three guys. I wasn't sure if you were responding to me specifically and if you were, I felt you had misunderstood what I said... but you weren't so...

ReplyQuote