Clear all

Are Ergonomic Guitars the Answer?

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@fever-and-hum)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am surprised, and very saddened (on a site as comprehensive as GN) that a topic of such importance has not been accorded Sticky Status by the powers that be.
I'm saddened when people expect their particular interest to be everyone else's number one priority, let alone when they feel moral outrage when it isn't.

Patient: Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this...
Doctor: Then don't do that.
Thank you for pointing out my error.

This topic is more of a rhetorical question. I have discovered that there are a number of causes or risk factors in developing Repetitive Strain Injuries, Carpal Tunnel etc., such as years of computer use; complications of pregnancy, diabetes; knitting, sewing, sports injuries, ... and using musical instruments. I have learned that some musical instruments (violin, flute, ...guitar) are more ergonomically-challenging than others; and have heard that professional musicians are very reluctant to discuss this topic, or any problems in this area, as it may affect their professional lives....

I fear that the younger generation who are growing up with computers and gaming are at big risk for RSI's. A search on the Forums (esp. the Beginners forum) shows a large number of the posts on pain. Repeatedly, we see people reaching out to others, and others generously offering their time and advice regarding this issue. The same posts come up again and again...As well, it takes a lot of intuition, and guesswork for a young guitarist to differentiate between "beginner's pain", and destructive pain; and where does that pain originate.

I am saying that a player can have perfect guitar posture etc., and still develop problems due to other life events. Problems that may greatly affect a loved activity. Fortunately, I am not in that situation...

As far as the Burrell guitars go, I admire his spirit of innovation. I wish they were more commonplace, and less expensive, so we could all try them out...

Fever and Hum

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2