Clear all

Baby's back - and wants Beatles!

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Kind of a follow up to the "rambling" Beatles discussion......

Well, my youngest daughter moved back home tonight. She's just been on holiday to Turkey....came back and found she'd lost her job, lost the flat (apartment) that went with it, and got no money left. So where else is she gonna go?

Anyway, to keep this musically on topic, we were talking earlier and she gave me a playlist of the records which were most played on the Hotel juke-box.....I can't remember all of them, but I'll do my best to remember what I can....

Beatles - Hard Day's Night
Beatles - Twist & Shout
Beatles - Ticket To Ride
Beatles - She Loves You
Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand
Beatles - Please Please Me
Tremeloes - Here Comes My Baby
Ben E King - Stand By Me
Helen Shapiro - Walking Back To Happiness
Susan Maughan - Bobby's Girl
Troggs - Wild Thing
Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - It Takes Two
Halfway to Paradise - Billy Fury
Runaway - Del Shannon
Do You Love Me - Brian Poole & The Tremolos
Glad All Over - Dave Clark 5
Bits And Pieces - Dave Clark 5
I can't think of any more at the moment....but you notice anything about all these songs? They're all OLD - some of 'em are REALLY old.

Now.....said daughter wants me to teach her to play guitar. She wants to play those Beatles songs - I've already told her, thousands of times, most songs are three/four chords and a key change.....for instance, Bobby's Girl - uses I-IV-V-mVI progression - but there's a key change from Bb to B.....Wallking Back To Happiness is the same, starts in Ab, key change to A.....

I can show her basic chords....and minors, 7ths, m7ths, 6ths, sus4ths, sus2's, etc etc etc......but I really don't know where to start - I'm thinking, pick an easy two or three chorder, get her to strum along with that? Then teach her G-Em-C-D - that's the easiest progression I know - the maybe A-D-E?

Seriously, I don't know where to start - she's played her friends some of my own songs off my soundclick site; she's shown 'em my videos on soundclick.

I'm thinking, we'll have a few beers - loosen up - and then, watch what I do - I'l repeat it in slow motion....

Me? A Guitar tutor? Hell, I know NOTHING yet......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I hope it's good to have family back together again! Sounds like an opportunity.

Jolly good, smashing, and all that sort of thing, all the best with the beers & Beatles. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Speaking of G Em C D . . . Stand By Me has those chords.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Bet it's great to have her home Vic!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's always nice to have the kids come home...for awhile anyway..J/K, my middle one lives in California and was home for a week which is the first time I've seen her in over a year and the youngest lives In Philadelphia which isn't that far but I still don't get to she her that much so enjoy the time.

As for teaching guitar I'm sure you could do it, as long as you know more than the person you are teaching then there shouldn't be a problem although sometimes working with another family member can bring about their own set of issues.

Looks like that jukebox has been in a time warp....and no Monkees?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

old songs! how ironic. last evening I was youtubing. I found Sir Douglas Quintet's 'She's About A Mover'. great stuff.
I always look in the side bar because of the similar videos and summoned up 'Pushin' Too Hard' by the Seeds, and even older, 'Land of a Thousand Dances, by Cannibal and the Headhunters.
I remember all the words.
Vic, I recognize every song you posted.
I am one old jukebox. :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Vic, did the jukebox actually have the vinyl 45s?
I remember driving through Czekia, at least I think that's what they called it when the Berlin wall came down and Czechoslovakia broke apart . . . anyway they had a jukebox like that in one of the restaurants . . . very risky to have those . . . they were frowned on by the toppled government.
I was also struck by the telephone poles (not literally) . . . they had those green glass insulators along the horizontal beams.
I hadn't seen those since the early sixties in the U.S. I think they're collector's items now.
Time warp indeed.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I found Sir Douglas Quintet's 'She's About A Mover'. I've actually got that on a vinyl 45 - "Mendocino" was re-released over here in the mid-70's, "She's About A Mover" was the b-side!
Vic, did the jukebox actually have the vinyl 45s? Nope, CD's - mostly compilation albums, by the sound of it.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote