Beer Can Guitar

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sweet! We gonna see a video or hear a soundclip from it soon? :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Probably. :D Thunderfingers did one too, just he paid with hard earned cash. He ordered an SX Jazz Bass with a vintage burst and maple board. $119.00. Additions? A solid heavy weight bridge and a set of Wilkinson tuners. (Vintage style) I had to drill holes to mount all of the above. I however am a good dad and fair guitar tech. :lol: Nah, the bridge is straight, all screws are straight and all function well. He claims it to be one of his best bass guitars now. Did I mention these things have dual action truss rods? Amazing value. Great base for a project guitar. Wel will try to get something up when we get the chance.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Here is the link to the thread with those sound clips. :wink:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44671

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

And ... how about some pictures?

Looks nice with my Epi LP

Candy Apple red finish

Grover tuners I swapped with other cheap SX

Note the Lil Killer pickup. I had to shape the hole in the pickguard to accomidate it as it has a bulge of wiring. (GF noted this on the web site)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice job on the slot trimming. Much better than I did. :cry:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Roy! It just needed to bow a little at the bottom so thats the only place I really needed to remove any pickguard. That black border all around it is just the ribbon they put over the wire. I got the real hot one so there is a mile of wire on there. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea TR that's pretty much the same pickup that I was talking about in my other post, except the one I have is a Seymour Duncan and is black and my guitar is white so I'm alittle concerned that the black pickup in the bridge isn't going to look right compared to the others.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Nice Strat :D I have a 1989 MIJ strat just like that one (Same color).

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yea TR that's pretty much the same pickup that I was talking about in my other post, except the one I have is a Seymour Duncan and is black and my guitar is white so I'm alittle concerned that the black pickup in the bridge isn't going to look right compared to the others.
Oh it will look fine! 8) Yeah, my MIM Strat and Squire Tele have Duncans. Know what the difference is between them and the GF Lil Killer? About $65. :lol: Seriously, I feel so stupid for paying $89 way back when for the one in my Strat, but at the time it was the only show in town. It was back when they first started making them. If anyone is buying new, I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the GF Lil Killer.

Thanks Ken, I do like it alot and it was basically free as I used recycled beer can money. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That's a nice looking guitar! I may have to learn how to build and tinker with this sort of thing to build one one of these days.

Looks great, love the candy apple red finish!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i like the blade bucker. looks good. the neck and headstock is a little dark for my taste, though.
alright for 200 bucks, though.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh, the neck and headstock ..... it's supposed to be a 57 vintage series so they tinted the poly. Origional pickups, knobs and switch were creme as well but I couldn't tell from the pic on Rondo so ordered the white Lil Killer pickup. No problem as my other SX had white so I did a swap. You know, the other guitar looks better with the creme as it has a tortise shell pickguard. 8) Win win!

Pretty huh? This one did have the bathtub route. It origionally had the Grovers and is ash. I swaped tuners, this guitar is nice for $129 but there is a little buzz on the 2nd fret 2nd string during the winter when the air is dry. Think they overdid one of the frets when dressing it, low spot. I might look into a new neck for the ash body some day. This is fun!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that looks nice. i like the pickguard with the natural finish.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

oh yeah! that pickguard really works. you are inspiring me to dig out that guitarfetish tortoise pickguard and finally get around to putting it on my Lite Ash Tele (along with the Wilkinson compensated vintage saddles I've had for over a year :oops: )

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2