Clear all

Beginner bass equipment

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bob331)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I previously (mistakenly) posted this on the beginning guitar board.

" I have some coupons that I can use on Amazon.

They list a "Yamaha Gigmaker" package for under $300.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Gigmaker-F ... 89&sr=8-37

Whaddya think?"

Bob

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hi, Bob,
Welcome to GN!
The link in your post is flaky...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@bob331)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The Amazon link was so long - I guess that's the way it got picked up and copied.

If you go on to Amazon and type "Yamaha Gigmaker" the package deal will come on the screen.

I'd just like to get some feedback on this beginner's package:

(from Amazon):

Price - $279.00

Yamaha RBX170 bass guitar
20-watt Drive Bass Amp
Protective Gig Bag
Qwik Tune Digital Chromatic Tuner
Guitar Cable
Instructional DVD
Guitar Strap.

Body: Agathis
Neck: Bolt-on maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 250mm (10-inch) radius
Frets: 24
Pickups: Two single coils

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Bob
Yamaha RBX 170 is probably a good bass , I have the RBX 270 bass that I like a lot.
The RBX 170 is very similar to the RBX 270.
"The RBX270 and RBX170 both feature distinct RBX styled bodies and bolt-on maple necks with rosewood fingerboards. Electronics include a J- and split style pickup configuration that runs through a master volume, master tone, and mix control on the RBX270, and two volume knobs and a master tone control on the RBX170." http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/musicalinstruments/guitars/electric/bass/rbx.asp#RBX170
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@bob331)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So. . .before I could order a bass, my wife bought me one (!!!). I have to pick it up at the music store tonight.

Rather than get me a "starter" bass, she ordered a "Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass".

The salesman said that there were 2 models - the "jazz" neck" (narrower) and the "precision" neck (wider). He recommended the jazz neck because I have previously played (many years ago) folk and classical guitar.

I can try both styles at the store tonight.

Any suggestions?

Also - I need to order an amp. My wife is out of town on a business trip so I can order a "starter" amp. (I'm sure that she would spring for a bigger one). Any suggestions?

Bob

ReplyQuote
(@bob331)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So. . .before I could order a bass, my wife bought me one (!!!). I have to pick it up at the music store tonight.

Rather than get me a "starter" bass, she ordered a "Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass".

The salesman said that there were 2 models - the "jazz" neck" (narrower) and the "precision" neck (wider). He recommended the jazz neck because I have previously played (many years ago) folk and classical guitar.

Any suggestions?

Also - I need to order an amp. My wife is out of town on a business trip so I can order a "starter" amp. (I'm sure that she would spring for a bigger one). Any suggestions?

Bob

ReplyQuote
(@bob331)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Please excuse the double post - I also posted this on the Bass Discussion - but I'm hoping to get a quick answer:

Any suggestions?

Bob

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I've been looking at basses for a few months now. I have a POS that I bought cheap but I'm in need of an upgrade. I checked out the "Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass" a couple times. I think that's what I'm ultimately going to buy. I have small hands and the neck feels great to me. I also like the tone of the pickups better then the p-bass. Oh, and it looks pretty sweet. 8)

You need to try them both out and decide for yourself though.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My son is the bassist in the family and he isn't around right now, but .......... I do know he hates the Precision Bass with a passion. It is due to the chunky neck and he has long fingers. He bought a Fender copy, a frettless Jazz Bass and he loves that thing. It's one of his least expensive bass guitars and it sees a lot of action. Point being is ........ I think you'll love the Jazz Bass. You also are a lucky guy! :wink: Oh, for an amp ........ If you really want starter as in small ..... I'd go with a good brand name so it will sound good. My son has a little Hartke that is like 20 watts or something. It cost a little more than other amps that size but it sounds like a big amp, just not as loud. I think Fender and Peavey make some nice practice bass amps too. If you want a big bass amp but at a starter price ... I'd reccomend the Fender rumble series of amps.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Did you ever pick up your bass? Let's see some pictures!

ReplyQuote