Clear all

beginner guitar

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I cant believe that after only a couple days with my free estebon guitar and only 2 posts later.I find myself asking for advise on a good beginner guitar.
I don't want to spend a fortune,I really think I need to be realistic,I have read horror stories on people who spend allot of dough on musical instruments only to find them collecting dust in the closet weeks down the road.

So any advise would be helpful

Should I buy used ,Is there a desent guitar out there at a reasonable price.

I'm willing to listen and learn

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Definitley don't spend a fortune until you are absolutely hooked (unless money is not an option). I personally like Seagul guitars as they are very reasonable in price and also a very quality instrument (I'm guessing you are lookking for an acoustic). If you want a decent electric, you can look at one of the Squiers everyone on here seems to like.

Good luck, enjoy and have fun. Trust me, the GAS gets much worse later on.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

im sorry yes an acoustic,I would like an acoustic electric if that can remain reasonable

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

first check our new forum, "i'm looking for a new..."
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewforum.php?f=42

then browse musiciansfriend (i set the page to acoustics listed lowest to highest in price)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/acoustic-acoustic-guitar?N=100001%2b306250&Ns=P_Price%7c0&g=guitar&page=1
look around other online sites and check reviews at Harmonycentral.com for brands or models you are interested in

i highly recommend this and it comes with a hardshell case
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D10S-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=515152

hope this helps

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jmaikos)
Eminent Member

I second the choice for Seagull acoustic/electric guitar. Fantastic guitars for the price. Your best bet is to go the store and play as many guitars as possible and see what feels and sounds best. Spend some time in the store and ask any questions you can think of.

ReplyQuote
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Im really looking hard at this one here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TCY10-Talman-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519673

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

tried one a few years back at the local MF
it was top heavy (head), had more of an electric neck (thin, harder to fret), body was too thin to sound anywhere near as good or loud as traditional cheaper acoustic or acoustic electric models.
looks without performance imo.

if you really want a nice acoustic /electric guitar i think you need to spend at least $300-$500, otherwise you tend to lose out in either quality electronics or materials. you can't really get both for $200 imo YMMV

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

allan

Funny, I was just on MF and looking at that very guitar you posted. I think that would be an excellent starter electric/acoustic.

Some folks don't like reviews, but I read them constantly. I especially like Musician's Friend because they have some truly helpful features. First, you pick the type of instrument you are looking for, in this case acoustic/electric. The page will always pop up with the "best seller" on the top right. Well, that's a pretty good start right there. Nobody is #1 without good reason. So that first guitar is a winner in the majority of owner's opinions.

But second, I would choose the price range on the left side. Now you will get the guitars in your price range. Then up on the right you pick "Customer Rating". Now that's the best way to look IMHO. I look for the guitar that has the highest overall rating. If a guitar only has a few reviews I keep looking. Everybody seems to rate a new product high. No, I try to look for instruments that have at least 20 reviews or more, the more the better. If you see a guitar that has 300 reviews and still rates 8.72 (just a number I picked) out of 10 for overall rating, that is a good guitar.

And I read the reviews, you can learn a lot. If many owners say the guitar goes out of tune easy, it does. If they say the finish is poor, it is.

So, you just have to read as many reviews and pick a guitar that suits you. I really don't care if a guitar has a poor finish, I just care how good it plays and sounds. So a negative review for finish wouldn't bother me personally. But you may care a lot about the finish.

It was doing just this I saw the guitar you posted. It was right near the top in customer rating for acoustic/electrics under $200. It had lots of reviews and a very high overall rating. This is a good guitar.

So read the reviews. They are very helpful.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Allen,

I am going to go out on a limb here. Don't feel you need to immediately purchase another guitar just because another forumite made a post bashing the Estaban. You've only had the thing for three days. While its true it is not a $1,200 Taylor, it should be sufficient for you to BEGIN the learning process. For now, concentrate on visiting the Beginner Lessons site and for goodness sake get a tuner to get (and keep) whatever guitar have in tune.

There will be plenty of time for G.A.S. (Guitar Aquisition Syndrome) later.

Just my opinion. :idea:

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just got done reading a review page and this one gets high marks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-EA16-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=515422

im trying to make my desicion by 8pm because my wife is going to get it for me for christmas

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

allan

That guitar is new, so doesn't have a lot of ratings, but if you look at Washburn guitars they get very high ratings. Most owners say they are very pleased with the high quality of these guitars compared to price.

Of course, a $1000 guitar is going to be better than a $200 guitar (it better be). But there are companies today that are putting out excellent guitars at great prices. And Washburn is known as one of these companies.

This is probably a very good guitar too.

Edit- They got a few colors available too. Me, I like tobacco. Always beautiful. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well I just got done reading so many pages of reviews and I thought why not try a friend and ask a few questions .

heres what I just ordered

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEL20E-AcousticElectric-Guitar-with-Onboard-Tuner?sku=519998

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's a fantastic guitar. I was looking at it earlier but just didn't manage to scrape the cash together and went for the PF60. Your model is going to last you for decades.

ReplyQuote
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

whew..thanks

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

LOL, you keep going up in price. :D

121 reviews, all above 9 out of 10. Looks great.

What color did you order??

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2