10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking at this one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032

It's at the high end of the price range I wanna pay.

Thoughts on these anyone?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You're looking at my next amp.....I have a 15W guitar amp, and a 30W bass amp - I want to get the 30W guitar amp purely for the added features....reverb and chorus, mainly....

I'm a big fan of Roland Amps, so this is a biased review....but I do love the "Metal Stack" setting for lead....

Pet would be a good person to ask - she's got the 30W guitar amp.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

Never owned a Roland amp, but I've heard them quite a few times and was very impressed.

I am a tube amp guy, but if I wanted a solid state, Roland is the way I would go. They are known for an excellent clean tone especially. One reviewer compared it to the JC 120 Jazz Chorus, probably the most popular amp ever for jazz players.

Has lots of features and the price is great. I don't think you can go wrong with this amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I came home and read your thoughts and headed straight to Sam Ash. As luck would have it, they were having a sale and I was able to cover tax and a Monster cable for the difference and still wound up with $20 to spare.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I have the Cube 15 and I love it. A very versatile amp with great effects. Plus, it was only $99. Absolutely a steal.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member

I have a microcube, as i live in a fairly small apartment and I think it's a great little amp. It's been a little neglected lately as i just got a vox valvetronic 15 watt amp for my birthday. As i travel quite abit with my job i stil use the microcube when i'm on the road.. it's a great little modeling amp.. Played the 30 watt at the store, but i just didn't have the cash for it or a new place to live..

Anyway my experience with my roland has been great.
cheers

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote
(@lavadave)
Trusted Member

I have a cube 30 and I love it. Mainly I love that it weighs 12 lbs. The amp models are all very nice. There's one important thing that you should know and that is that the delay and reverb are built into one knob that scrolls from one to the other and can't be used simultaneously. The other effects are on one other knob and can't be used simultaneously. The chorus, flange, etc.. are pretty weak.

It works great for me since I mainly use it modeling a fender twin type clean sound playing in pretty small rooms. I never use any of the effects except the reverb. If you expect to get a lot out of those other effects you'll be disappointed, but if you just want a easy to move, decently loud, and nice sounding amp you'll like it.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

IMHO the Roland Cubae30 and Vox Ad30 are the two best solidstate amps in this priceclass. The cube's got the absolute cleanest clean and some pretty tight metal sounds whereas the Vox is slightly better at the mild overdriven sounds. Have fun with it!

ReplyQuote
(@bluesy10)

Hi

Ive just purchased the cube30x and although Ive only just got it, it seems to be a good sounding amp. Very musical and punchy.
My only gripe at the moment is what sounds to me like a grounding issue. Background hiss and hum until I hold onto a metal part of the amp or my pickup cover or jack body. If I gentlly tap any metal part it cracks and crackles like thunder. It does it with both my guitars and all my leads...so Im not sure what the problem is. When I use my guitars and leads on my other amps I dont notice any problem. Dealer says its my gear at fault probably ??
What do I know.....

bluesy10

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member

I used to play the old 70's cube 60 (bright orange pretty cool). The clean was amazing and the reverb was nice but my friend used it with his bass and blew it and now it wont get a clean tone so its useless :(

"This is a public service announcement....with guitars!"

ReplyQuote