Notifications
Clear all

Blackmore Strat, Malmsteen Strat

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@flying-v)
Topic starter  

Anybody out there owned or handled a Blackmore Strat or Malmsteen Strat with the scalloped fret boards?

Can't find any in my area (Colorado) and am really wanting to try one out. I may also opt for buying a Fender strat and having it redone with scalloped fretboard.

Let me know. Thanks.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

nope, not sure if they have any down at MF here, i'll check it out

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure Metallica Man's got the Yngwie Strat with scalloped fretboard - and loves it. Have to wait till he's around for his opinion, though....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

According to Malmsteem himself in an interview in Guitar World (July 2008)

Q: What is the advantage of a scalloped neck?
A: It gives you more control over the notes. Some people think that is helps me play fast but if anything it actually makes it harder to play fast, especially because I like a high action. It's a learning process and takes a while to get used to.
Q: Do you generate vibrato by pressing down?
A: No, I still do vibrato the regular side-to-side way.

Makes me wonder if it is worth it... I mean for playing purposes. If you want it just to have a scalloped neck guitar, then great. But I don't think it will affect your playing in any significant way.

I wonder what he means by "control" if he doesn't mean vibrato?

Article is on Page 65 here: http://books.google.ca/books?id=IvwDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA1&pg=PA65#v=onepage&q=&f=true
(Note, this is not a pirated/illegal link - Guitar world archives old issues online on Google Books - a great place for a good read or looking up tabs/music. Right now they have Jan 2007 to Feb 2009)

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I wonder what he means by "control" if he doesn't mean vibrato?

I don't know for sure but I might guess that he means micro-tonal control. I imagine that the scalloped fret board allows one to have finer touch on making the notes just "right". That is if you work at it - at first I would imagine that you would be sharping everything.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote