Clear all

Boss GT10

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Im 2 and a half years into learning the guitar and I haven't spent much time playing electric. I've played more electric in the last month than all the rest of the time added up so things are changing a bit. I have a small practice amp but actually play my electrics mainly in to my boss micro with earphones in. My question is for someone like me who is only realy just starting out on electric is it worth investing in a GT10. I know its not that expensive compared to some bits of kit but its still quite an investment for me. On the plus side it seems to have everything I would ever need in it but on the negative side I would be using a cheap strat copy (which I like playing) into it. Am I still going to get decent sounds out of it with a cheap guitar? I would make sure I try it with my guitar before I bought one but sometimes you can get swept along when trying new kit. Any thoughts appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yes, if you got the money to spare. Else, no.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What led you to ask about the GT10 specifically, rather than any of the other multi-effect units out there?

There have been several threads comparing multi-effect units in the "From Here to There" forum. You might want to see what has already been said about the GT10 and other multi-effect units.

Are there any specific effects you are interested in, or are you looking for something to experiment with and find out what use you can make of the various sounds?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got it and enjoy it. I use it to record with too, but that's not saying a whole lot. The beauty of it is that there are so many sounds you can coherse out of it. The user interface is much more intuitive than it's earlier incarnations right out of the box. That, to me, was the key.

Many of the pre-sets are over the top. You might stumble on something and say "that's something like I was going for, but it's too extreme.....". Well, you can edit the patch (on the user patch bank) to tone it down to your hearts content with minimal fuss.

Your guitar should sound just fine. If you're on a tone quest, you've already heard of tube amps, $1000 (and up) guitars and pedal boards that would make The Edge proud.

It's a really neat toy, which is really all it is to me. Some people use them professionally.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What led you to ask about the GT10 specifically, rather than any of the other multi-effect units out there?

Kent I already have a boss micro so I think boss is a brand I already know so maybe this swings it for me. I looked at an x pod live as well and the sales guy said the GT10 was the better unit. The GT10 has every effect I want + loops + floor pedals and seems to offer great value. My concern really is whether the GT10 is more for serious musicians (I take playing the guitar seriously but it will never be more than a hobby, playing for myself).
It's a really neat toy, which is really all it is to me. Some people use them professionally.

Roy I think what you said would probally sum up a GT10 for me that it would be a toy for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Vox, Boss, Line6 and Zoom all make fine modelers. I have the GT8, which has the same sound engine as the GT10 but a different interface. I've personally switched to software modelers but otherwise I'd still be using the GT.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

My concern really is whether the GT10 is more for serious musicians (I take playing the guitar seriously but it will never be more than a hobby, playing for myself).
I that case, I second Rahul's answer
Yes, if you got the money to spare.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote