Clear all

Buying a new 2nd hand guitar

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ossie)
Topic starter  

Hi All,

a great forum and website!!! Firstly I don't know if this is the right Forum Area to make this post, if not someone suggest a better one.
I've been back into my guitar playing for over 6 months now after not touching it for many years, still learning pretty novice stuff, but want to play resepctably and play anything I choose. I looked around briefly for helpful posts but was surpised there wasn't much on selecting new guitars (I did read a couple of helpful lessons though). I'm after a electric acoustic, and was thinking of getting a nice 2nd hand - one to save money and get one of higher quality than I could afford new and 2 to get something that has some maturity to the sound.

Does anyone have a good website that has reviews of differant guitars, I am looking predominantly at either Maton, Yamaha or Takamine, or someone even suggested Cort. With the later 2 I am led to believe I should look out for the Japaneese models but can't figure out which model numbers they are. I am really interested to know which models are better and that I should look out for. My budget is modest, I am looking to spend under AUD $1000. I am located in Sydney, Australia so keep that in mind if suggesting any particular store or sites. I won't buy sight unseen.

So if anyone can suggest any review sites, and or make comment about their experience with Maton, Yamaha or Takamine, or Cort - that would be great!
Cheers
Ossie

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Ossie and welcome to GN.

There are plenty of good guitars at that price. Recommending a 'best' between models from good quality manufacturers is pretty much impossible. That probably goes double for second hand guitars. It really boils down to finding a match between your personal taste and an individual guitar. Only you can do that. The makers you mention all have good guitars - and if you like Matons you might like to add the Australian made Cole Clark when you try a few out.

There are sites like Harmony Central which have reviews, but the balance and reliability of online comments is pretty questionable.

Harmony Central User Reviews

Good luck finding one to suit.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Just check out the reviews from online retailers like GuitarCenter and MusiciansFriend. They have a good selection of up-to-date reviews for most of their products. Once you narrow down the selection you can search the forums for more detailed reviews from some of the users.

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi Ossie, a fellow Sydney-sider here - welcome to the forum!

If you haven't already done so, go and visit Billy Hyde in Camperdown and Guitar Factory in Gladesville, they both have acoustic rooms and a nice selection of guitars to try out. Billy Hyde's is especially nice, with lots of space and a few amps. If you happen to be in Melbourne any time soon, check out the Acoustic Centre, the best place in Australia for acoustic guitars.

To look at second-hand guitars, check out Pete's Mucisians Market in Newtown and Wild Horse Guitars in Surry Hills, or look at eBay and Gumtree Sydney - there's always a decent number of Maton's for sale and you should be able to try them out first.

As for online resources, I suggest http://www.tdpri.com/forum/acoustic-heaven/ and http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=27 .

FYI - I bought a Cole Clark last year after looking at lots of different guitars. Really wanted a Maton but the Cole Clarke just felt and sounded better to me. Recently I played a (quite expensive) Martin, and it was easily the best acoustic guitar I have ever had in my hands. So try out as many guitars as you can to get an idea of what they feel and sound like, and play them both acoustically and through an amp because there are huge differences in sound.

Have fun shopping!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Gidday, Ossie...and welcome.

I usually pose rather odd questions, so here's another one, if you don't mind: HOW do you end up with a "new second hand" anything??? :lol:

:roll:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Here is a collection of opinions and guidance from our own authors:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/tag/buying-equipment/

ReplyQuote
(@ossie)
Topic starter  

Hi fellow guitar freaks, thanks heaps for the receomendations and advice. Greatly appreciated. Some of those sites are exactly what I was after. Am reaeding more and will start shopping soon.

And Cat, love the question, so if its not new 2nd hand, is it old 2nd hand or 3rd hand 2nd hand?????? :?

Cheers guys,

Ossie

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

Would love to hear what you finally bought, Ossie.

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote