Clear all

Confused I need someones help

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. Well, as you guys know I went and just recently purchased a 86' Jap-Strat from my local guitar store. Well, there is this ENTIRE scenario that played out that I still dont know who got screwed or what happened. So can you guys please listen to this entire description and give me an idea of who got screwed? Maybe it played out evenly. Who knows.

Back in late July, I went into my local music store. I saw an Ibanez RG 350DX on the wall. It was beautiful, and played great. I wanted to take it home. The price tag said 400$. I didnt have 400$ on me. So I took advantage of my local music stores' layaway plan; Place 50$ Down on the instrument minimum, they will take it and put it "away" until you pay it off. However, I have established SO much trust with this music store, in buying so many things from them and constantly visiting them to the point where Willy, "the owner" would allow me to put that 50$ on the item and take the guitar home, while I continued to pay it.

So I played this Ibanez 5-10 times, and it hung on my studio wall while I started college. I didnt expect it, but I dont have any time for playing like I used to now. But I still have quite a lust for guitars and buying them. 5 weeks later or so, I walked into the same music store to see a beautiful 86' Vintage White Fender Stratocaster Imported MIJ. My jaw dropped at the looks of this 22 year old axe. Intresting I thought, the price tag said 400$. After going home and thinking non-stop about it I finally gathered up the best Idea I could think of to grab money. I'll trade in the ibanez RG350DX that I bought from them 4-5 weeks before this, to get credit towards this fender! However, I had already given the store 250$ cash payment. I had never taken the factory warranty tags, or pickguard plastic off of this guitar. In 150% MINT condition, I called up the store and told them "hey I want to trade in the Ibanez RG350DX, and let you guys keep my 250$ that Ive already given to you for exchange of the stratocaster". Well here comes the confusing part. Willy told me that he couldnt do the trade straight across. After his discussion, he claimed to do this he would want the Ibanez RG350DX, Keep my 250$ cash payment, plus 250$ MORE money. Isnt that 500$ Cash, and a 400$ guitar? That sounds like 900$ value in my opinion!

But his claim was, since the Ibanez is used he has to be "ethical" and sell it for 300$ not 400$. So he wants me to pay off the RG, which is another 150$, then after I pay off the RG hes only going to give me 300$ credit for it and Ill still owe 100$ more. So They want to keep my first 250$ of payments, The RG, and get 250$ MORE money just for the fender stratocaster.

If anyone can clear the smoke on this, and decide if this deal was legit, or who got screwed would be lovley because I still try to solve it like a puzzle every day.

Thanks guys.

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh plus, I forgot. After his claim of being "ethical" and selling the guitar for only 300$ instead of 400$, they turned around and had it on the wall for 330$. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Let me get this straight: You wanted a $400 guitar 5 weeks ago but didn't have the money. You had them put it away while you get the money, but the store owner was kind enough to let you play it in the meantime. You've payed off $250 now, so you've still got $150 left. In other words: it ain't your guitar yet so ofcourse you can't swap it directly. The 'used' bit is correct: it's used to it'll be less worth. Whether they'll charge $300 or $330 isn't the point, the point is that it's less worth to them.

So you've got $150 left to pay before that guitar, which is now worth $300, is yours. After that you'll have to trade that one in + $100 (300+100=400) to get the $400 strat. In other words: the RG + $150 +$100 = strat. Nobody is getting ripped, you just made a rash decision, came to regret it and now you it'll cost ya. In that case you'll in total be spending $500 to get a $400 guitar, which is caused by the RG becoming $100 less worth. IMHO the owner is kind to offer $300 for a used RG350, I got my used RG550 for E190 ore about $230 or some and you often see them for that price on ebay.

Just my 2c, but I don;t see what the confusing part could be, seems simple and fair enough. He could also offer you a dime for the RG350 and have you stuck with a guitar you don't want while being broke.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

+1.
MM, I would not press this idea with your local shop. I think the owner's been very fair.
He actually sounds like a great guy to deal with.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Where do you live? I want to live near this guitar store. The owner seems like a very reasonable person.

No one got screwed. Call the $100 rent on the guitar you played for a month or two.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a fair deal to me too.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I would take the deal. He is being VERY fair.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Useless you bring it back within the legally-mandated no-questions-asked time limit for return of major purchase -- often 3 days, and in pristine condition, it is used. And the owner is running a business. This may not make any logical sense to you from a value of materials point of view, but you indeed should be paying the store owner something for a value-added service on every bit of merchandise you buy. And as others above have noted, he seems to be providing you very good service for your money.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok guys thanks for the immediate responses. Im glad its cleared up now, thanks for letting me know because I guess It wasnt clear to me.

I still loved both guitars, and I still like the store, so like the one guy said, Im just out 100$ basically.

Thanks much

Josh

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

LEARN from this, Dude! What's "legal" and what's "ethical" are two different things...

You pulled the guy's chain and got the "yes we have no bananas" routine.

BESIDES...that Ibanez was probably better built than the Fender. F's went way downhill after CBS bought it...and it wasn't until the late 90's that Japan got it right. CBS said: "Pay these long-haired freakos WHAT an hour to play a freakin' guitar at woik??? Screw 'em...let's get some machines in here!"

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds fair to me. Have to finish paying for the RG before you can trade it and it is used now, so worth less.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote