Clear all

Epiphone Price Hike

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Anyone seen Epiphone's prices lately? I was not going to get one anytime soon as I'm quite content with my line-up, and broke, but wow. The LP Custom jumped $100 to $799, and that LP Prophecy GX jumped quite a bit too. It's $849. Love this economy....NOT!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Inflation and rising costs of workers' salary.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I own three Epis and had planned on getting another one in November but not now because they are just not worth current prices. If I was in the US/Canada I would be seriously considering Agiles which seem to offer at least equal if not better quality than Epis for less dollars.

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000prestthincsbf.html

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I didn't check the prices lately but some months ago they were cheaper than a couple of years ago when I bought mine (at least here and it was in the same store).

We were comparing both and we concluded that they changed some woods because my Epi (a LP standard) is painted with a different paint: you can see the vein. The vein in my Epi is more or less nice for a guitar in that price, obviously it is not a Gibson. The new ones seem "lacquered". (I mean the back side.)

I don't know if they are turning to the previous materials again or there are several qualities and finishes. :?:

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the "not".

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

Try out an agile AL-3000M or like I bought the AL-3100. I bet you won't be disappointed. Even if you are, you can return it with no problems!

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Epi's here are the same price/Slightly cheaper than they where 6 months ago.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow! I just paid $429 for my Les Paul standard, glad I got it when I did. :shock:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I wonder if they're doing it in response to their Gibson quality problems. Instead of lowering Gibson prices, they raise Epi ones to make the Gibson more tempting.

Seriously, I don't know what's going on at that company, but out of all the Epi's and Gibsons I've played that were made in the last few years, the Epi's were as good, sometimes BETTER quality than the Gibsons. They've seriously got a problem over there as I don't think they've made a Gibson quality guitar in a decade. These days if I'm going to spend some ridiculous cash on a guitar, I might get a PRS or something.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Please forgive some flakiness on may part.

Jeff, I'm with you. It seems they only raised the mid-high end epi's. The low ends seem to be where they were. It does feel like hey're closing the gap. I'm rather fond of the Prophecy GX for some reason, but not they got it proced exactly where there's an entry level Gibby.

TR, yeah, the LP for mid 400's was right on target. Just a bit higher than the Fender standard (MIM). Not sure why they felt the need to crank higher.

jackss: That tells me that this is more of a Marketing move than a business move.

Enosmac: I'm sure you're right. I'm not in the market though, just surfing away. I've already got the LP Custom. (Which I love, btw)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

A Mod was here to make adjustments due to a geo-political digression...

Is Fender still offering those $150 Squire-Strats?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A Mod was here to make adjustments due to a geo-political digression...

... and back to your regularly scheduled price kvetching session. thx, Dan.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I just got my 'Gear Guide' in the mail from Long and McQuade (national retailer) and the 2 models are listed at 625 (Epi Les Paul Custom) and 699 (Epi Les Paul Custom GX Prophecy Series) here in Canada. That's not a sale price; just everyday retail selling price. I don't know Epis at all; are those the same models, Roy?
If so, might/must just be pricing on existing stock (and a big price bump is on the horizon). :shock:
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

That is pretty amazing when you consider that you can get an Agile for $279 with graphtech nut, Grover tuners, and Duncan Designed pickups I mean, a knockoff is a knockoff, right?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1757.html

On top of that, you can get a killer ESP goldtop (EC-400) with USA Duncans for $300 - 400.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I wonder if they're doing it in response to their Gibson quality problems. Instead of lowering Gibson prices, they raise Epi ones to make the Gibson more tempting.

According to posts on the Epi forum, Gibson prices have gone up too.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

According to posts on the Epi forum, Gibson prices have gone up too.

My god.... I suppose they weren't high enough?

Epiphones are the way to go if you're a gibson guy these days. Another idea, try a newer fender deluxe fat strat... The build quality is astounding, and you could buy 3 or 4 of them for the price of a Gibson LP.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2