Notifications
Clear all

Cream Reunion (again)

54 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Just saw this thread taso, Ive been busy the last few days.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine came in the mall on monday, my mom said to me,"hmm, it looks like we got a lteer by msitake, salim., open it." I did and it was the tickets!! I got so excited.

To me, seeing Cream is a landmark experience. I really got interested in them, and I love their music, and finding out they were having a reunion was jsut the best news in a long time.

For me, it seems I was born in the wrong generation. I really don't like any bands that are popular, but I am a huge sucker for classic rock. Music of the 60s-70s. I would have loved it. Haivng the oppurutninty to see many bands I love, and for a real cheap price also. So having this reunion tour, and now seeing it, is something that will really please me, and to help me enjoy the music of the past.

To what kingpatzer said, maybe Cream is actually having a reunion concert to honor and celebrate their fans. It shows that their music was so powerful and legendary, that people would still go seethem, even after 40 years of no output by them. Also, they might want to do the same thing I am, enjoying the past. Clapton could jsut sit down at home, turn on an amp and blast crossroads or spoonful,l but it isn't the same unless ytou have Baker and Bruce, and a giant stage of people who came out to listen to your music and playing.

Taso, just one more week!
I'll try to take pics with my dad's camera phone, but defiently some concert t-shirts.
Except an excellent concert review from me and taso

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Have a great time guys. :D

Unlike most of the posters here, I'm about the same age as all the these old "has beens" that Kingpatzer seems so resentful about, and I saw many of them at the 'height of their creative powers' or whatever notion he has about certain stages of their careers. Some performances were good, some were just plain ordinary.

Clapton was certainly in the bad category. He played almost all night with his back to the audience, hardly spoke and played badly too. Not exactly a big treat for his fans. I'm darned sure he's more professional than that now.

My wife saw Lou Reed in his 'heyday' too. That was an even more self indulgent and crummy performance. Back to the audience, dripping nose, incoherent mumbling and mediocre musicianship.

Why do some people get so so weird about what older musicians choose to play? Has some unrealistic hero-worship dream been shattered, because they behave like working musicians, not some sort of gods?

I saw the Stones over thirty years ago and they were fine. The shows were nothing like as professional as today though. The sound wasn't a patch on today's shows of course. And nothing in the way of big screens or all the other fancy stuff either, so unless you were near the front you didn't get to see much. Sure, they were good and Jagger always puts a huge amount of energy into his performances, but no better than a whole load of other acts I saw around then.

Probably the best live performance I ever saw was two old men. Two old men who had been playing a lot of their stuff for decades. They shuffled on and then completely blew me away with everything about their performance - their style, their touch, their deep familiarity with and love for the music they played. Magic in every way. They shuffled off again to the strains of a classic song they'd probably played thousands of times. It was done so well I could have cried. Actually I quite possibly did. Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. Unreal.

Lay off old musicians Kingpatzer and do try to get a less negative and cynical attitude - you're missing out on a lot of fun. Many people who have been in the business for a lifetime are still well worth hearing. And in many cases the fondly remembered or imagined 'heyday' was as much about the whole buzz of the time and place and the musicianship was not always quite as wonderfu as legend likes to insist. :wink:

If people still want to pay to go to the performances of these guys - for whatever reasons - and still enjoy it, then that's all that matters. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Well, it's 3 hours to showtime! I cant explain how excited I am. Im going to leave in around 50min and me and my dad re going to drive to MSG

Im so happy, I can see eric clapton in cream, probably my most favorite band ever.! Especially on my 16th birthday!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Happy Birthday lucky :lol:
I would say enjoy the show but that would go without saying.
Have Fun :D

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Happy birthday man!!! I'm leaving in 20 minutes. I'M SO EXCITED!!!

ahhhhhh!!! I can't even express my self!!

Talk to you after the show bud.

da da da , da, da, da , dada daaaaa. <sunshine.

:shock: <my reaction to being able to see Cream

OK, LATER!! HAHA! wow!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

well, its the day after i jsut must say

Cream rocked down MSG!
It was such an amazing show. I was sitting in row 419, which turns out to be the furthest section. But, it was one of the ebst seats IMO. I was perpendicular witht he stage, and since it overhangs, I had quite a good view of the stage.

Showtime started around 8:30, and ended aound 11:45.

Everything went dark, and cream walked on the stage, greeted to a sold out MSG and a standing ovation.

They started off with I'm so Glad. Basically, the whole arena was singing along, I know I was.
After that they played msot of the classics. They played "if i had possession over judgement day" which Im sure isnt a cream song, but it was still good.

highlights of the show:
- spoonful: I never liked this song but clapton and baker helped turn this around. They played an extremely good version of it with some sensational drumming from baker.
- toad: About 2min into the song bruce and clapton left the stage, leaving Baker with a 10min drum solo. It was about the greatest thing Ive ever heard. Even at his age, he is still the best drummer that I know of. Everytime he would play some fast or flashy part, the arena would erupt in cheers and keep him going.
-encore, After cream left, poeple started shouting out more for about 8min. Then everyone comes back to the stage for an encore. The one and only, sunshine of your love. It was the perfect way to end the concert.

Other than that, the whole show should be considered a highlight. Despite their ages, they all are charismatic and energetic while playing. Especially with Bruce palying some great lines. His voice was quite good also.

Where I was sitting everyone got out some pot at one point or another. Add some crazy dancing old men (and women) and you get the weirdest seating arrnagement. These 2 guys next to me had about 6 beers each and were smoking weed the whole time. They were 40year old men in suits....
Other than that, it was a great night out, and the perfect way to say goodbye to cream, and an excellent birthday gift! I managed tot ake some nice pcitures, so enjoy everyone!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The person next to me was annoying too. In a funny way. She and her husband came an hour late to the show. I don't see how you can pay 150 bucks for tickets (300 total) and come late, an hour late. lol. And, she kept getting up to get more food, some sort of garlic, or relish? It was disgusting. And I was pretty hungry too. And for some reason, taking my arm rest wasn't good enough, she needed to lean OVER it. And she had 3 random outbursts of excitment the whole time, other than that, it was like she wasn't there. haha Very strange. And she spilt her drink :)

Yeah, really good show! I don't feel exactly the same way as blackzero does, but I thought it was good, glad I went. Ginger and Bruce were awesome. Bruce needed to turn his bass up a bit. Clapton, was good. He didn't seem to have much fire, he did a few GREAT solos, but on the whole, he seemed kind of bored to me. I've heard what he's capable of from recent shows, and he didn't quite do it for me last night.

Ginger was amazing. Toad really was incredible. The whole show he was just great. After Toad, he literally limped off the stage! lol.

Bruce sounded a LOT better than he did at the RAH. His voice was a lot better, he was more energetic. Bass was good, but not loud enough.

Clapton was good. His voice was amazing as always, he hasn't lost anything there. He hasn't lost anything guitar wise either, I've seen him do amazing stuff recently, just last night I don't think he was "feeling it". I'm not sure, I'll have to really make up my mind when I watch the DVD they better make.

I gotta be honest, seeing these 40 year old men smoking weed is kind of sad to me. Clapton has grown up, why can't they. I find it really sad to watch. And the whole getting wasted at a concert, why? So you can't remember it? Where's the logic.

Anyways, I'm very glad I went. A real honor to be at the last show Cream is ever going to do. If they do another show, I might get mad. lol. Good concert.

Taso

Oh! If you look in the first pic, thats very bright, with all the people in it, to the top left of the picture, you can see some green lights/signs. I was sitting pretty much 30 feet to the right of those (looking at the picture) and 5 feet under them.

Edit: Also, Billy Joel was in the audience! I listened to Cream, with billy Joel! hahah!

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the reports, guys.

I've listened to all four of the London shows and all three of the NYC shows. Maybe it's because the shows at RAH were so hot, but I gotta agree with you Taso, Clapton seemed completely disinterested in all the NYC shows. His playing, while still good, was nothing compared to London. Clapton has not been in a good mood for these shows, it seems. Don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that he has become really unhappy with Ginger and has been getting pretty pissed at him on stage and was seen scowling at him a few times. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Even so, they were still good shows, and I'm not trying to be a party pooper. I still would've loved to be there. I'm glad you two had a great time.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

From what I heard about monday, (when some felt Clapton played amazing) was that Ginger and Bruce were getting into arguments on stage. Obviously this was one of the driving passions between there live performances from the 60's, but maybe it pissed Clapton off (he usually stayed out of the fights, trying to make peace) on monday, because of their immaturity. (Bruce wants Baker to play softer, and Baker refused, so Bruce played louder, and Baker wanted bruce to play softer, etc.)

Unlike the RAH stuff I've heard, Bruce sounded a LOT better. Clapton LOOKED a lot better (he didn't look the way he did in the Revolution video is what I'm saying) and Ginger was just amazing. But yeah, Clapton SOUNDED bored. I heard you could see him sighing a few times during the show, for those up close.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4