Clear all

Dawsons Music Store Blows

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I needed a couple of 1-2m TRS-TRS cables for my rig. Last time I checked this wasn't some exotic piece of high end gear. So I called them up to check if they have any in. They're like "yeah, we got heaps of them in, but they're all 3m cables though". Heaps? I ask. They tell me 35-40.

Not a problem, I thought, I can always cut them shorter later and this is a bit of an emergency buy, so any length will be better than nothing. Right, I'll be in to grab them now, I tell my dude.

I go in, needing said cables and a couple of packs of strings. Head upstairs and acquire strings and ask about cables. "What's TRS?" Will 1/4" balanced stereo jack cut it for you dude? "Ah, right, yeah.....you'll have to go downstairs for them."

Okay. Can I take the strings down then? "Oh no, I'm not allowed to give you the strings until you've paid for them, and I'm not allowed to leave the floor so I can't carry them down for you." This despite there being three other Dawsons guys on that floor. So I pay, using their card machine that takes an age to process the order. And go downstairs to the "Audio Dept" (one shelf plus one glass cabinet behind the keyboards counter).

I ask about cables. "What's TRS?" Will 1/4" balanced stereo jack cut it for you? "Ah, right, yeah.....(cursory look over cables on wall)...we don't have any in stock." What? So you're telling me you shifted 35-40 TRS-TRS cables on a Tuesday afternoon in the space of 45 minutes, maximum? Seriously? No....it seems they don't stock them regularly at all. :evil:

At this point they dare to ask me what I need said cables for. I'm connecting an interface and monitors. The interface is brand new and, while I'd quite enjoy being able to damage the monitors, the sad fact is that I don't have any readies to replace them with something decent for at least 6 months, so I gotta take care of my POS noiseboxes. Telling me my regular 10m guitar cable (for gigs) will do fine isn't the way to impress me. Nor is fetching a 6m female XLR-male TRS cable when I ask for male to male connections. Nor is trying to tell me the XLR-XLR (both male connections) cable will also work. I own my interface, I've seen the 1/4" jack inserts on the damn box, I was looking at them when I phoned you up you moron, and there's no way this BS about the XLR fitting will fly. :twisted:

In the end, I managed to hit up another local music store, grab some female XLR-male TRS cable and some male XLR connectors there (at a cheaper price too, and offered by them because they didn't have male-male XLR-TRS cables in stock and knew I needed them today) and have just been making frankencables to do the job.

Dawsons Music store is seriously the biggest musical POS in the universe. This, for them, is a good day. I'm amazed the company manages to stay in business.

Sorry guys, but I had to vent.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Another happy customer !

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm forwarding this post to:

[email protected]

Not really . . . but that is their complaint department. :mrgreen:

. . . and let 'em know you posted this on the world's most popular guitar forum . . . and . . .

Have a nice day :D

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmm - Dawson's have always been pretty good to me. Bought my Squier Tele from Dawson's in St Helens - when it had a slight mishap, they fixed it for me for free, even though it was out of warranty. Got my Tele from Dawson's in Warrington, and I've always found the staff there very helpful.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Well who do they think they are, the 'official' musical store of the Beatles or something? :shock:

They should have been much nicer to Scrybe. That was not bloody well right, it was rude.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks for the great story.

I know I won't shop there. :|

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Didnt you use to work at a Dawsons ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I know I won't shop there. :|
I pledge not to shop there too . . . which is not hard . . . since they aren't in the U.S.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Hmm Well atleats you have music stores, there is only ONE Gibson retailer in the whole Island.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Dude??!!
sheesh

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Wow tell us how you really feel. :shock:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote