Notifications
Clear all

Do looks matter?

36 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think that, in general, clothing is a reflection of the personality. We have to differentiate between "work" clothing and "leisure" clothing - work often determines what is acceptable and what is not, so personal freedom of choice has been removed or, at least, restricted.

When a person has freedom of choice in what they wear, their personality is reflected in that choice, so I would, personally, find it difficult to imagine a goth trying for a blues band. The mentality and lifestyle is not really one that I would associate with the blues. On the other hand, I can't imagine someone, who wears a suit in his leisure time, is going to be listening to punk or hair metal.

I realise that I'm being stereotypical and using generalisations, but it's why goths are goths and 50s rockers have quiffs and greasy hair (if they have any left, of course).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I think that, in general, clothing is a reflection of the personality.

Good point!

Quite some time ago I was offered a GREAT job working in Europe with the very same company I had sold in the mid-80's. I wanted to look "responsible and mature" after so long a time so I put on the Armani and the Rolex. As I was leaving I caught a last look in the hotelroom mirror...winced...and got right back into my Levis/Hawaiian shirt/Arizona boots. Everyone in the board room (this is Brussels) was unhaven, wearing flip-flops...and tee shirts!

Ha! :lol: Cool!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I don't know about looks being in a blue band something but to me neither Madonna nor Barbara Streisand looked sensational.

But, they are both legends in the world of Pop and Country Music respectively.

Streisand is a country artist? too much Green Day or maybe just the Dookie, kid. standards, show tunes, romantic pop of the 60s - 70s.

but these are interesting, polar opposite examples. as others have said or implied, Madonna is an image genius. she is all about being an exaggerated cartoon persona. you may not like her face, but she is proof that appearance and image sells -- cause it ain't on vocal strength. Streisand has powered her career on her voice, and like that or not, she has an acknowledged vocal talent within her genres. she is not a natural performer, and her performing insecurities have been reported numerous times over the years.

then there is Celine Dion, who has a vocal talent (to some), and believes she is a charismatic performer, but actually creeps out many people with her strange awkwardness.

flipping the camera back onto the audience, being a fan of any one (or more) of the above is probably very telling in terms of appreciation for pure music versus pure performance ... and points in between.

My bad man to call Streisand in Country. I should have called Pop. I had just watched 'The Mirror has two faces'....

But as you clear in your post...Its not the looks that matter anyway... I would have cared less if someone has horse head on him but played amazing songs. Play on fellas. :D

P.S. - These days its less Dookie and more 21st Century Breakdown (has some really good songs).

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I think that, in general, clothing is a reflection of the personality. We have to differentiate between "work" clothing and "leisure" clothing - work often determines what is acceptable and what is not, so personal freedom of choice has been removed or, at least, restricted.

When a person has freedom of choice in what they wear, their personality is reflected in that choice, so I would, personally, find it difficult to imagine a goth trying for a blues band. The mentality and lifestyle is not really one that I would associate with the blues. On the other hand, I can't imagine someone, who wears a suit in his leisure time, is going to be listening to punk or hair metal.

I realise that I'm being stereotypical and using generalisations, but it's why goths are goths and 50s rockers have quiffs and greasy hair (if they have any left, of course).

I agree with you and it's unlikely someone would dress goth and play blues. The example is extreme but you figure if someone would take the canidate in the example the smaller more probable things wouldn't matter to them.

Although I did have a colleague get turned down from a classic rock type band for his BC Rich guitar. The reason they gave was the pickups would be too hot for their sound and it was his only guitar. At least that's the reason they gave. I couldn't say whether or not image was a part of their concern. I can kinda understand their concern on that one. I do know from experience that I can get a bluesy sound from my amp if I turn up the volume on the clean channel and crank up the volume knobs on my guitar.

It's never as extreme as the example I made up but not sure if it would have been as easy with a real world example to answer. Personally, I have been shot down for my age, showing too much skin for the image they wanted to portray and having an attitude problem............

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It all boils down to, "are you comfortable with the image you project?"

Speaking for me, I've never been over the top or outrageous, but I've always had long hair - and the number of times I've been told by parents, teachers, family, wives etc, "you'd get on a lot further if you had a haircut...." is beyond counting.

I LIKE my hair long - OK, maybe most of my heroes from the 60's & 70's who wore long hair now sport a shorter haircut. But while I've still got it, I'll keep it long - maybe it's out of style, out of time, a bit naff, whatever - I JUST DON'T GIVE A * ANYMORE! It's my head, it's my hair, and it's my choice - and if you don't like it, tough *! It's ME!

I wear red t-shirts, faded jeans, and white trainers - have done for years. Put me in a suit and tie, I'm uncomfortable - it just isn't me. It doesn't matter what you wear, it's who you are - it's down to you as a person, and your personality. I've had haircuts twice in the last few years, both times for family weddings - and both times I've felt miserable and unable to enjoy myself, because I wasn't there. The short-haired alternate persona was there - and the short-haired alternate persona is, believe me, a miserable SOB. It just isn't ME!

So I'll keep it long till it falls out - it will happen, eventually. But till that day, I swear, I will never, EVER, have a short haircut again!

It might not be the greatest image in the world, but it's what I'm comfortable with.....

"Beauty's Only Skin Deep" - The Temptations, circa 1966.

"Beauty's in the eye of the beholder" - not sure who came up with that one. Shakespeare, perhaps?

Treat people with respect, whatever their beliefs/haircut/musical tastes - and if they don't treat you the same way, it's their loss, not yours.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Naff? English thing? I like that. (New word added to TR's vocabulary)

White collar conservative flashin down the street
Pointin their plastic finger at me, ha !
Theyre hopin soon my kind will drop and die but uh
Im gonna wave my freak flag high, high !

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3